BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Closed Thread

Old Oct 09, 2002, 02:14 PM   #1
shyGirl
Sun King

Default ABC announces Paul\'s \"Back in the U.S.\" TV special for Nov. 27

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/1009backintheustv.html

PAUL MCCARTNEY RETURNS TO ABC FOR "BACK IN THE U.S." : AN ORIGINAL MADE FOR TELEVISION FILM DESTINED TO RE-DEFINE THE ROCK & ROLL EXPERIENCE
Hailed as a "rock and road movie" Paul McCartney's "Back in the U.S." will give viewers front row seats and backstage passes to his most recent American tour in an original two hour telefilm set to air Wednesday, November 27, 2002 (9:00 - 11:00 p.m. ET), on the ABC Television Network.

In the early months of 2002, a film crew followed McCartney and his band for 14 weeks to sold-out shows in 34 cities across America. "Back in the U.S." will feature footage from many of these concerts, which included performances of "Yesterday," "Band on the Run," "Hey Jude," "Let it Be," "Maybe I'm Amazed, "Getting Better," "Back in the USSR," "Live and Let Die," "Here Today" and "Something." More than two-dozen hits that span his entire career from the Beatles to Wings and his solo work will be featured in the special.

"Back in the U.S." also candidly reveals life on the road with Paul McCartney and his band - Rusty Anderson and Brian Ray on guitars, Abe Laboriel, Jr. on drums and Paul "Wix" Wickens on keyboards. Producer/director Mark Haefeli was given unprecedented access and his cameras will take viewers on Paul's chartered tour jet, invite them to hang out in the band's dressing rooms backstage and to attend previously private soundchecks.

"It was an amazing experience to work with such an icon and to be trusted to be given such access into his life. It made the tour a trip, "Haefeli said. "Paul McCartney was involved in the creative process from beginning to end. To work with this man on such a personal level was both the greatest challenge and most endearing reward of my career".

According to McCartney, "This was a special tour for me in many ways and I'm very pleased that this film has captured much of the magic of it all. The band has felt very special to me, I'm having a great time playing with these guys, and the crowds on this tour have been special too, every night a warmth of goodwill from them has washed over us. But also there's been this special camaraderie going on backstage with the crew and all involved in this tour, there's been an intimacy of a life on the road that I don't think people will have seen on a screen before."

"Back in the U.S." was executive produced by Paul McCartney and directed and produced by Mark Haefeli. Producers for ABC are David Saltz and Rudy Bednar.

------------------

Song of the moment-My Love

shyGirl's Hideout

"I get shy when they start to stare."
Old Oct 09, 2002, 02:45 PM   #2
Beatlesgal
Bulldog

Default Post deleted by Jerry

Old Oct 09, 2002, 10:36 PM   #3
StrawberryShorty
Day Tripper

Default Re: ABC announces Paul\'s \"Back in the U.S.\" TV special for Nov. 27

This is great news! Now the rest of my family will be able to SEE what I've been raving about for the past 6 months!!

Thanks for sharing the article!

------------------
Peace&Luv.
~Kristina

2morrow may rain so.. I'll follow the sun!
Old Oct 09, 2002, 11:09 PM   #4
bearkat77
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By shyGirl:
Hailed as a "rock and road movie" Paul McCartney's "Back in the U.S." will give viewers front row seats and backstage passes to his most recent American tour in an original two hour telefilm set to air Wednesday, November 27, 2002 (9:00 - 11:00 p.m. ET), on the ABC Television Network.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info, Steph! I'll be sure to have the VCR primed and ready that night.

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
Old Oct 10, 2002, 04:47 AM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Thank you for this information, shyGirl! I've marked my calendar and I will have the VCR primed and ready!

Let's raise our glasses to shyGirl for providing this information!

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!
-- Beatles, 1963

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:35 AM   #6
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

Another quick one on the same thing...
http://cdnow.com/allstararticle/fid=341415

Paul McCartney's Back In The U.S. To Air On ABC Nov. 27
Oct 9, 2002, 10:05 am PT

Paul McCartney's "rock and road movie" Back in the U.S. will now air as a two-hour film on ABC Nov. 27 at 9-11 p.m. ET.

The tour film - originally just slated for a DVD and CD release next month on Capitol - is culled from McCartney's tour earlier this year. A film crew followed the former Beatle for 14 weeks on his sold-out trek of 34 U.S. cities.

Performances included in the film are "Yesterday," "Band on the Run," "Hey Jude," "Let It Be," "Maybe I'm Amazed," Getting Better," "Back in the USSR," "Live and Let Die," "Here Today," and "Something."

"This was a special tour for me in many ways, and I'm very pleased that this film has captured much of the magic of it all," said McCartney in a statement released Wednesday (Oct. 9). "The band has felt very special to me, I'm having a great time playing with these guys, and the crowds on this tour have been special, too, every night a warmth of goodwill from them has washed over us. But also there's been this special camaraderie going on backstage with the crew and all involved in this tour, there has been an intimacy of a life on the road that I don't think people will have seen on a screen before."

FT

------------------
"Music always had a transcendental quality inasmuch as it reaches parts of you that you don't expect it to reach. And it can touch you in a way that you can't express. You can think that it hasn't reached you and years later you'll find it coming out." George Harrison
Old Oct 10, 2002, 07:53 AM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Thanks, FT.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!
-- Beatles, 1963

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
Old Oct 10, 2002, 03:16 PM   #8
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Interesting article about the advertising deal that goes along with this from the Chicago Tribune...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...259oct10.story

McCartney TV special bands Omnicom clients

Published October 10, 2002

Two words can describe advertisers' wants these days when it comes to network television: Big event. Make that huge event.

Walt Disney-owned ABC announced its first big one this year, slated for one of the biggest retail nights of the year, in a programming and advertising move that will be closely watched,

The network, which desperately needs a hit, said Wednesday that it will air a two-hour Paul McCartney special the night before Thanksgiving. Not announced, however, was the groundbreaking advertising deal that goes along with it.

In the first-of-its-kind deal struck with the network this year, Omnicom Group's media-buying arm OMD--whose clients include retailer J.C. Penney, McDonald's Corp., Dell Computer, Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. and Hershey--has secured nearly 50 percent of the advertising inventory on the special. The deal will be a boon for its clients, but it also will most certainly anger others locked out of the special, especially retailers who count on pre-Thanksgiving advertising to help jump-start the all-important Christmas selling season.

The deal illustrates the tremendous changes occurring in the buying and selling of premium TV time. Much of the maneuvering takes place during the spring, when giant media-buying agencies are searching for deals in a desperate race to snare spots on high-profile programming.

"It's all about the big event now," said one advertising agency executive. "You shoot for the biggest thing you can get your client in."

Media sources say the rush is a direct reflection of the ever-shrinking audience for network TV and fewer choices for advertisers who want to reach broad audiences. With preseason network TV sales unexpectedly up this year, many media-buying executives said that one of the drivers was deals like the one put together by OMD-Disney, estimated to be worth more than $500 million.

That package is unusual in that it used the combined clout of several advertisers rather than individual marketers, as is the case traditionally.

It is believed that another OMD-ABC programming deal with McDonald's may be announced shortly.

If successful, look for more deals to be structured this way, with media-buying giants using the clout of several advertisers' budgets to get what they want from the networks.

The problem for the networks, however, is dealing with those advertisers who get shut out of the big events. And with ABC's sluggish ratings, it is the one network that can ill-afford to anger longtime customers.

The McCartney special, titled "Back in the U.S.," will show segments of his current concert tour in the U.S. as well as "life on the road" footage with McCartney and his band.

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. October 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Oct 10, 2002, 03:40 PM   #9
Magill
Sun King

Oh.....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, SHY GIRL!

I'm too poor to see him in person and not lucky enough to win tix, so this will be the next best thing. Again, many thanks for the heads-up!

------------------
John thoughts on "Yesterday":
"That's Paul's song, Paul's baby. Well Done. Beautiful--and I never wished I'd written it."
Is it any wonder why I love John so much?
Old Oct 10, 2002, 03:45 PM   #10
jtal909
Sun King

Now that will be cool!

------------------
"Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?" www.billyshearsband.com
Old Oct 11, 2002, 04:33 PM   #11
lilsamharrison
Mr. Moonlight

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Magill:
Oh.....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, SHY GIRL!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me add to that!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

------------------
"No I wouldn't say that at all."
- John Lennon, 1966, in response to the question "Do you feel you are being cruicified?"
Old Oct 12, 2002, 05:41 PM   #12
beatlegirl273
Rocky Raccoon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By StrawberryShorty:
This is great news! Now the rest of my family will be able to SEE what I've been raving about for the past 6 months!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, in my case, it's only been 5 days, but my parents will be able to witness what I haven't shut up about. This is great!

------------------
Concert summary: I saw the Hoffner, the colorful box, and Paul. Wow...
Old Oct 13, 2002, 01:11 PM   #13
Vertical Mom
Apple Scruff

ShyGirl, I am so sorry! I did not see that you had already posted this article when I posted it yesterday!

------------------
Closed Thread