BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Default Ringo's drumsticks and right-handed drumset

I've just taken up drums... Which means I've attended my first one-hour lesson (of a course intended to last about eight hours). I don't know how the other pupils did, but I think that, from what the teacher told me, I managed to do much more than he expected from the first lesson. I learnt the basic pattern of eight in the hi-hat or ride with bass drum and snare alternatively and some crash for good measure, including fills in the toms, and then also (slow) paradiddles in the snare.

Well, I would like to know what kind of drumsticks Ringo used. I got the cheapest pair of 5A sticks I could find, since I read that that's the most neutral size.

Then, does anyone know how Ringo being left-handed influenced his drumming? I have often read remarks of his about it (that he cannot go to I-don't-know-what-part-of-the-set from I-don't-know-what-other because of it, but not knowing anything about drumming, I didn't understand much, and not I cannot find it. After having me playing in the snare for five minutes, my teacher decided I should play in a left-handed drumset (I think it was because I always started hitting with my left hand). And I was wondering whether being a left-handed drummer, I might be able to copy Ringo's style better by playing a right-handed drumset. Of course I know I won't get a sound as unique as that of Ringo's just by reversing the set, but I was just wondering.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:44 AM   #2
AZJim
Fool On The Hill

Well, I know this is old, but maybe you'll see it anyway...
I think the answer to your question depends on one factor, that is, when we say Ringo is left-handed, exactly "how" left-handed is he? Handedness isn't always black and white. If you saw me eating, drinking, or writing, you would peg me for being a lefty. If we met through sports or music, it would never enter your mind because I play drums right-handed, guitar right-handed, hit a baseball right-handed, play golf right-handed, kick a soccer ball right-footed. Cut with a saw righty, use a knife righty, scissors righty, and on and on.
So, back to drums, Ringo may be like me, writing, eating and "small" things lefty, everything else righty. As for not being able to get around to parts of the kit...hmmm...sometimes I take things that people say, especially famous people who are being bugged all the time, with a grain of salt. If that's true, maybe he felt it more when he was learning. Maybe not, but I'd bet that it was-is something that could be overcome with focused practice. I myself have always felt comfortable as a right-handed drummer, not hindered in any way by the lefty thing. For what it's worth anyway...
AZJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:50 AM   #3
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJim View Post
Well, I know this is old, but maybe you'll see it anyway...
It's your answer which is now old, but just in case...

Now that I've gone a bit mire into drums, I've checked videos of Ringo playing, and he seems to be left-handed at it, since he often starts rolls with his left hand, and so it's very difficult for him to go from the snare to the toms and to the floor tom in time. I certainly can hear that very slight delay; I think it's what makes Ringo sound so much like himself some times (I mean, to me, there are some rolls that sound very Ringoish, and when listening to them played by other people in YouTube I've realized that they play them more in time, and lose all the feeling). What I cannot tell is whether it's a delay that cannot be overcome or not. I mean, maybe by practicing he might be able to play them 'rightly', but perhaps he just doesn't bother because he likes the sound of it.

Anyway, I don't care about the answer to my question any more. I simply cannot play a right-handed set.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 08:06 AM   #4
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Sorry. Mistake.

Last edited by El Gos Coix : Jan 11, 2014 at 08:07 AM.
El Gos Coix is offline   Reply With Quote