BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:39 PM   #21
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New AimeeAndBeatles View Post
Hahaha. Facebook is a business. They just want to make money off you.
Well, of course. But that doesn't mean they're not useful or fun. Most businesses just want to make money off of you, but they're offering you something in return or they wouldn't be successful.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:13 PM   #22
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Well said, Rell.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:15 PM   #23
FlyingCupcake18
Day Tripper

I probably shouldn't be replying to this, since I don't have Facebook anyway, but isn't that the point of a business? To make money?

And provide a service in return, of course.

Cupcake

Last edited by FlyingCupcake18 : Aug 08, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
FlyingCupcake18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:18 PM   #24
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
Well, of course. But that doesn't mean they're not useful or fun. Most businesses just want to make money off of you, but they're offering you something in return or they wouldn't be successful.
I use Facebook for business and for private which can be seperated easiy and on the private section I have no spam-ish problems at Facebook in stead of things like yahoo or google.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:20 PM   #25
Serena

I fail to see how Facebook is useful by knowing what your friends are thinking and doing every moment of the day. Gone are the days when we could at least find that out in person rather that reading some stranger's thoughts from over seas.

My Space was at least useful for putting new music out and networking without profit from My Space themselves or at least profiting much. Nevertheless, cutting off one branch still won't kill the root. All these social networks are a waste of time with too many risks. As Karl Marx said, "The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people."

Last edited by Serena : Aug 08, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:32 PM   #26
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

Serena - Of course, I don't use Facebook to contact with people I see on a regular basis, like, say, my sister. That's where it just starts to get weird, and people who actually see their friends daily (not me, because I'm not in school yet and still thousands of miles away from where I live) that use Facebook more than actually speaking with their friends need to get a life.

I think Facebook was okay when all it was was sharing status updates and photos, and on occasion using the instant messaging feature, but then all of the games and apps got in the way. I haven't discovered the infamous Farmville game yet, and I'm glad.

In a way, I also think Facebook can be like a giant message board for hundreds of different topics. My favorite bands, for instance, often ask questions (Pink Floyd asked, a week ago, "If you were to be stranded on a desert island with a solar-powered CD player and one PF album, which album would you choose?") that spark hundreds of responses from users.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

I'm certainly guilty at times of being lazy.
kayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:39 PM   #27
Rellevart

I find it useful sometimes...like if an event, a concert or something, is going to be rescheduled because of weather, they'll post on Facebook because they can't really reach each one of 5,000 fans personally...that's useful. Or if I'm just curious as to what a bunch of my friends think of something, I'll post it as a question on FB rather than contacting each one of them individually. I also see breaking news and interesting editorials since I "like" my favorite news sources and my friends occasionally post news articles that I enjoy. And I find all the status updates fairly entertaining because I have a lot of funny/creative friends, so I learn things and laugh a lot.

I can NOT get into the games though. I've blocked them all.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:39 PM   #28
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCupcake18 View Post
I probably shouldn't be replying to this, since I don't have Facebook anyway, but isn't that the point of a business? To make money?

And provide a service in return, of course.
Frankly, a useless and potentially harmful service. But people don't see that.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:41 PM   #29
Rellevart

Quote:
That depends on each individual, Aimee. It's not useless to me, as I've explained above, and it's not harmful because I know how to keep it from being so. If you find the cons more persuasive than the pros, then it's wise to stay away and vice versa.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:59 PM   #30
Serena

Usually the official website of a certain event center or ticket outlet can e-mail updates to each recipient if necessary, and most of the questions posted are not very informative or interesting anyway. For discussions, that is why I join up with certain forums. Still I fail to see the usefulness of it when there are so many better alternatives out there to personally be useful with.

It's not even easy to talk to people in person anymore. Every time I visit them, I get the joy of sitting there watching them with their face in front of a screen chatting away with someone else. Maybe technology is killing off evolution, we certainly at least are already becoming half machine.

Last edited by Serena : Aug 08, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:17 PM   #31
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
]It's not even easy to talk to people in person anymore. Every time I visit them, I get the joy of sitting there watching them with their face in front of a screen chatting away with someone else. Maybe technology is killing off evolution, we certainly at least are already becoming half machine.
While I disagree with you on the benefits of Facebook (I was more talking about like local band shows than things that a ticket agency could, but don't, inform you of), I TOTALLY agree on this.

I only use technology (FB, e-mail, whatever) when I'm by myself or when I'm not the focus of somebody else's attention in real life. I think it's INCREDIBLY rude to be tap tap tapping on your phone/other device when you're out with friends. I think it sends the message that your computer friends are more important than they are. I have friends who say no no, that's not true, it's just a different lifestyle, but I disagree.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:59 PM   #32
beatlebangs1964

Well said, Rell.

FB has a lot of positives. You can meet people who are in positions to be helpful.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:50 PM   #33
Serena

Quote:
While I disagree with you on the benefits of Facebook (I was more talking about like local band shows than things that a ticket agency could, but don't, inform you of)
Actually my local venues deliver information just fine through regular e-mail; and it's not too big of a deal if we show up locally to a show that was just cancelled since we usually get our money back. This happened to us once.

Anyway, I'm not really prone to a society that revolves around and relies on social networks that come and go frequently. Call me old fashion but everyone seemed to be better socially interactive before computers took over, we took more lively action and got better use out of our brains, this is where the most 'positives' came from. These devices eventually break down and you don't know what to do especially if you can't afford to fix or replace an item. In a few years, everyone will be turning their brains in in exchange for a computer chip, I see it's already happened to some...

Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:05 PM   #34
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
It's not even easy to talk to people in person anymore. Every time I visit them, I get the joy of sitting there watching them with their face in front of a screen
I am lucky to be able to watch most of my friends in front of myself face to face very often which feels much better than to do it on some screen or whatever else there is.

Facebook is to me interesting to share things like news things, music, jokes, fun things but not a primary way to meet with friends.

I don't do games and do not understand how Facebook is connected to games.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Aug 08, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:16 AM   #35
Rellevart

Quote:
Actually my local venues deliver information just fine through regular e-mail; and it's not too big of a deal if we show up locally to a show that was just cancelled since we usually get our money back. This happened to us once.
Let me try this again. Most of the things I was talking about aren't ticketed events, so the venues or the bands wouldn't have any idea who to notify because they wouldn't have any idea who was going to be there in the first place. Facebook has been useful to get the word out to the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time about cancellations or changes in times or venues. And it would be kind of a big deal if I decided to drive to some suburban event, plus the parking time, which can be substantial where I live, and it was cancelled...that could be 2-3 hours of wasted time.

I guess if one doesn't really find what one's friends have to say to be interesting or entertaining, then there's really no point to it though. I enjoy reading everybody's quips and observations, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Rellevart : Aug 09, 2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:42 AM   #36
taxgirl
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
I enjoy reading everybody's quips and observations, but maybe that's just me.
No it's not just you I enjoy that too. Through FB and another social network I was on, I re-connected with friends I had not seen for a long long time. Now I see them in real life too. I think that's a big benefit of these networks.
During our holiday we shared pictures with our friends and family. I think that's fun. I've also a page where I can show my mosaics and share stuff with other mosaic lovers and artists.
I've blocked the games too. I'm an Angry Birds addict
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:43 PM   #37
Serena

Quote:
Let me try this again. Most of the things I was talking about aren't ticketed events, so the venues or the bands wouldn't have any idea who to notify because they wouldn't have any idea who was going to be there in the first place. Facebook has been useful to get the word out to the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time about cancellations or changes in times or venues. And it would be kind of a big deal if I decided to drive to some suburban event, plus the parking time, which can be substantial where I live, and it was cancelled...that could be 2-3 hours of wasted time.

I guess if one doesn't really find what one's friends have to say to be interesting or entertaining, then there's really no point to it though. I enjoy reading everybody's quips and observations, but maybe that's just me.

Right, the website of the venue will usually mention cancellations as well. Either way you will have to visit some kind of web site. But for the most part many might not even think to visit a web site on the day of the show, so you may have to risk a wasted trip or watch another band you weren't expecting. A few day ahead might be of better notification since everyone just happens to be on Facebook anyway. For me at least, this doesn't occur enough to spend more time there. Quips of others are occasionally cute to read, but to me I would hardly deem this as 'useful.'

Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:59 PM   #38
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
In YOUR opinion! You are being very dismissive of the people who use facebook and enjoy it. What harm is it doing to you, just ignore it if you dont like it.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:03 PM   #39
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New AimeeAndBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome View Post
In YOUR opinion! You are being very dismissive of the people who use facebook and enjoy it. What harm is it doing to you, just ignore it if you dont like it.
Well said, Zim. That makes perfect sense to me.

*edited in*Rell made excellent points above. *end of edit*

Thanks to FB, I have met people who have been VERY helpful to me in accomplishing certain goals. Had it not been for FB, I would never have gotten to know them and been fortunate enough to benefit from what they have had to offer.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Aug 09, 2011 at 05:38 PM.