BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Default "Recording the Beatles": set of pictures

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask you a favour. A long time ago I bought Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew's great "Recording the Beatles". When I opened it I discovered that of the four pictures that came inside an envelope, one was missing and one was twice. I sent an e-mail to Curvebender Publishing, and they very kindly said they would send me a new set of pictures, and that I didn't even have to send the wrong one back. I waited for two or three months before telling them that I hadn't received it, but I got no answer. Last summer, more tham one year after I bought the book, I sent them another e-mail, but again I got no answer. Of course, I haven't received the pics yet, and by now I've given up hoping to get them.

But, of course, I'd like to have the fourth photograph. So I've though that perhaps someone who owns the book would scan it for me. I would like to get it scanned with a quality good enough to have it printed in a laser printer and get as closer as possible to the quality of the original. I'm not in favour of counterfeiting, but I understand that it could be justified in this case, wouldn't it?

So would any of you please do me this favour? I'd check which of the pictures is missing (I cannot recall it right now, although I do know which one I've got twice). Thanks a lot in advance.

(By the way, I always end up making a spoonerism when I try to write this book's authors' names!)
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:03 AM   #2
J van E
Nowhere Man

Are you sure there should be four? I just looked at the picture of the deluxe version on www.recordingthebeatles.com and noticed only 3 pictures... Maybe the only thing that went wrong was that you received 4 instead of 3...?

Btw: how is the book? It looks great but it's very expensive too... Is it really worth it, specially when you are mainly interested in The Beatles....? I am reading Beatles gear now and I really, rally loved Emerick's Here, there and everywhere. Does this book fit in the same category? Or does it mainly (or only) talk about the studio gear without really relating to the Beatles?

P.S. Their other book Kaleidascope eyes looks very cool too, but that one is certainly out of reach at $ 495,-!!!

Last edited by J van E : Nov 26, 2008 at 04:08 AM.
J van E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Starshyne
Apple Scruff

I have this book. If you figure out which photo you are missing, I can scan it for you.

I like the book alright, but a lot of it is written over my head and I am having a difficult time comprehending it. Really I shouldn't have bought it because I think Beatles Gear gave me enough information. But the pictures in the book are nice.

http://solobeatlesphotosforum.freeforums.org/
Starshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:24 PM   #4
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Hi people,

I've checked which is the picture I want. In the sheet of paper that lists the bonus material there are four small versions of the pics. The one that's missing is the first one (one with George standing and the other three Beatles sitting, I think, and maybe someone else, I haven't looked at it in detail). Starshyne, I you could scan it for me I'd be really grateful. Do it whenever you can.

J van E, to me the book is really worth the money. I think it's up there with "Beatles Gear"; I bought it hoping that it would be the equivalent, but for studio equipment instead of for instruments, and it is. It tells everything about everything the Beatles used when recording, and since it seems that much of the equipment was EMI-made, one doesn't get the impression that they're talking about standard mixing consoles and, as an afterthought, they say "and, oh, yes, the Beatles did use this one". I mean, everything in the book is very Beatles, if you know what I mean. My favoutite part of the book was that dealing with the REDD consoles; when I finished reading it, I felt as if I would able to handle one!

However, Starshyne is right: there are certain parts that may be a little hard to grasp. I had a little knowledge of electronics, not much, and I suppose that helped me. But I think that one can enjoy the book anyway, and read it trying to understand as much as possible without killing oneself (after all, no one is going to sit an exam about it!) The second time you read it, you'll understand much more. Besides, one can always come here to BeatleLinks Fab Forum and ask a question about something; I am sure many people would try to help and explain anything in the book to anyone who asked. I would do so myself (I cannot promise anything, since I haven't got internet at home and these days I can hardly come here).

In short, I'm very happy that I bought this book. There are many Beatles books everywhere, but it's not that easy to find those that have something really new. This is all new, all Beatles, and a perfect complement to "Beatles Gear". I get no commission on sales!

There's one (1) thing I do not like about the book. The hard slipcase it comes in is so tight that each time I get the book out of it I'm afraid I'll end up tearing the thin dust jacket. Besides, all the bonus materials come into a plastic bag that came originally inside the slipcase; the first time I read the book, I tried to put it all again inside the slipcase, and it got so stuck half-way that I really thought I would have to disassemble it to get the book out again. Now I keep the plastic bag always outside the slipcase.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 04:52 AM   #5
J van E
Nowhere Man

Well, now, that's a pity... I decided to buy the book. it costs 100 dollar, but hey, I am a fan! So I filled in all the details and proceeded to the Shipping & Payment page... and suddenly the book costs $ 158,50...!!! $ 58,50 for posting! My goodness! That's more than half of the price of the book itself!

I can tell you I am very dissapointed... I spend quite some time reading reviews and everything and I got more and more and more excited, but this is becoming too much for me...

J van E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:49 PM   #6
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that, but probably it's because the book itself made me forget the initial disappointment. I counted on high postage and packing, considering the book had to be sent from the US to Europe, and that it was a heavy book, but even then, I thought it was too much! But after reading it, I still think it was worth it.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 02:17 AM   #7
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

I'd like to let you know that the person who sent the first e-mail from Curvebender Publishing has heard about my posting here, and has got in touch with me, apologizing for my not having receiving the photos and telling me they'll send me a replacement. I don't really know what may have happened either to the original set or to the other e-mails I sent, but I think I must post this here so everyone who reads this knows it. The people at Curvebender Publishing struck me as really kind and helpful when they offered to send me a new pack of photographs when I first got in touch with them (as I said in my first post here), so I was very surprised when I didn't receive it. People who put so much care into a book are bound to be careful about their customers' satisfaction, too, so I've always attributed this problem to something beyond Curvebender's control. I'd like it to be quite clear that I've always been happy about the treatment from Curvebender Publishing and, of course, about the quality of the book (in terms both of content and presentation) and all the bonus materials.

Thank you very much. I'll be delighted to have all the original photographs.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:05 AM   #8
Starshyne
Apple Scruff

Well that is good news! I was going to scan that photo for you today, but it looks like it is no longer needed.

Sara

http://solobeatlesphotosforum.freeforums.org/
Starshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2009, 03:18 AM   #9
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

I'd just like to let you know that yesterday morning I received a complete new set of pictures sent from Curvebender Publishing. Thanks a lot!