BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:16 AM   #1
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Default A couple of beginner's questions

Hi,

I don't know much about bootlegs. But, of course, I'd like to know more, so I'm asking you a few questions (I'm sorry if they've been asked before here; I've been searching and I haven't found them).

I've only got some thirty bootleg CDs which I've found here and there in record fairs and the like. I'd like my collection to grow, but I don't know which the best way is. How do you do it? Do you go to fairs, to shops, do you buy them from internet sites? My town's a small one, there's no shop in which they sell bootlegs, and there's a fair once in a blue moon, so I don't know how to do it. I suppose there must be hundreds of tracks in emule and such places, but since I don't have internet at home and I cannot use those programs (they're programs, aren't they?) in the office, so that isn't a solution.

Also, do you buy any CD you see? Or do you use any criterion to choose? I've heard that many bootlegs contain fake versions of the songs; how do you know whether that's the case?

And last, in case one wants to make a bootleg from a vinyl record, what is required? My turntable is connected to a home-made preamplifier, which I plug into the 'Aux' connectors in the amplifier of my sound system. But how can I take that into the computer? The only solution I've been able to think of is to weld together two ends of headphones cables so I can have a jack-jack cable and then put it from the "headphones off" plug in the sound system to the "line in" plug in the computer, and record it with some software. Do you do it like that?
(I'm sorry if I haven't expressed myself well. There are many things in the last paragraph whose names in English I don't know.)

Thanks for any help you may give me.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:40 AM   #2
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Hi,

Having the internet certainly helps a lot these days. The other way is just to find a store that has bootlegs in their selves, usually they are the smaller shops and not the bigger ones because selling bootlegs still is illegal. Owning is not, as far as I know. Then there is the open market and various fairs where bootlegs are being sold.

I wouldn't buy every disc I see. I aim for comprehensive collections that have the best available versions of the songs so that I don't need to buy anything twice. The best way to go for the comprehensive collections are the Purple Chick releases that are, unfortunately, only available in the net. The Purple Chick has the complete BBC Recordings, Decca Auditions, Deluxe sets of every studio album up to Magical Mystery Year, and the Complete Get Back Sessions. What is still left in addition to the Purple Chick are various (from very low to good quality) concert tapes that number around 20. Then there are some otherwise interesting discs like Alf Together Now and Wildcat, and a lot of informal stuff from here and there.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:33 AM   #3
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLittleKid View Post
The best way to go for the comprehensive collections are the Purple Chick releases that are, unfortunately, only available in the net.
Do you mean that they can only be purchased from them via internet, or that now they're all unavailable and that you must find them in emule or the like through someone who has converted them to mp3?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

I'd say there are four good ways to enlarge your collection.

1. Trading. Make up a list of exactly what you've got. Then go on various Beatles forums and ask if anybody's interested in trading with you.

2. Buying. If you just want to flat out buy CDs, I'd go with eBay. There are many bootleg CDs and DVDs on there all the time, usually from very solid sellers.

3. Downloading. I'm not an expert at all with downloading, so somebody else should explain it properly. But there are a few sites out there where people are exchanging all kinds of bootlegs.

4. Finally, you can become a Premium Member (plug, plug, plug!) here on the forum. In there you'll find tons of rare tracks, and you can probably double your collection overnight. The tracks are MP3s, so you'll have to convert them to WAV files if you want to burn them to CDs, but it's not that hard to do.

If you've ever got a question about a specific CD, just post about it here, and one of us will tell you if it's real or if it's worth getting. I wouldn't go buying everything you see. There are certain CDs that are known as "essential" releases, but even those get updated now and then. It also depends on what you like - live, studio, demos, alternate mixes, etc.

I'll let somebody else post about how to transfer vinyl to a computer and/or a CD. But I think it's just a simple matter of having the right sound card with the standard audio/video inputs, and also some software that will capture the sound.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:43 PM   #5
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
If you've ever got a question about a specific CD, just post about it here, and one of us will tell you if it's real or if it's worth getting. I wouldn't go buying everything you see. There are certain CDs that are known as "essential" releases, but even those get updated now and then.
Would you please tell me what "essential" releases should I get? Among the CDs I've already got, those that I consider "essential" are:

The Tony Sheridan recordings (I've got "Beatles Bop - Hamburg Days" of Bear Family Records, which I think has got everything there is)
The Candlestick Park show
The Christmas albums
The Star Club recordings (although the CD I've got has only 28 tracks)
The BBC compete recordings (I've got the Panda Records edition, not original, although I think there are better ones)
The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl
The complete Ed Sullivan Shows (four shows and rehearsals for the second)
The rooftop concert (Yellow Dog, it also seems to have everything there is from the four cameras)
The Decca audition
The Twickenham Sessions (they're by Odeon, although they look a lot like the Yellow Dog edition)

Quote:
It also depends on what you like - live, studio, demos, alternate mixes, etc.
If it's Beatles, I like it all!

Last edited by El Gos Coix : Jun 19, 2007 at 11:44 PM.
El Gos Coix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

To your list, I would definitely add...

Studio Sessions from the early years, like the Please Please Me sessions, From Me To You, Thank You Girl, Hard Day's Night, Help, I'm A Loser, etc.
Shea Stadium 1965
Tokyo shows 1966
White Album acoustic demos (absolute must as far as I'm concerned)
"Alternate" albums containing different mixes, demos, outtakes, etc.

All of which are available in the Premium Forum...plug plug plug.

Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:37 AM   #7
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
4. Finally, you can become a Premium Member (plug, plug, plug!) here on the forum. In there you'll find tons of rare tracks, and you can probably double your collection overnight. The tracks are MP3s, so you'll have to convert them to WAV files if you want to burn them to CDs, but it's not that hard to do.
Jerry, what are the bitrates of the MP3s you describe in the Premium Membership? Sounds like a great way to get started.

Last edited by kmac : Jun 20, 2007 at 05:37 AM.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:44 AM   #8
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Because of the space required for all of the recordings, they're at 128 right now. I'll admit that's a low rate, but I had to be practical about it. I wanted to upload a huge collection, and we've got limited server space. I've got nearly 2 GB available so far. Most people won't be able to tell the difference in the sound. But if you're an audio freak, it's not for you. Honestly, the tracks sound more than fine to me.

Last edited by Jerry : Jun 20, 2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:36 AM   #9
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Thanks Jerry. It's a generous benefit to membership.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:50 AM   #10
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Ok, here's an example. This is takes 1 & 2 of "I'm A Loser" from August 14, 1964. Sounds pretty good to me. I think it's adequate for listening on a computer or iPod or MP3 player. And even if you converted it into a WAV file for CD burning, I'm sure it's ok too.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 I'm A Loser (Takes 1-2).mp3 (2.42 MB, 14 views)

Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:35 PM   #11
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:45 AM   #12
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

After all that plugging, I've been looking for information about premium membership, and I don't think I've found anything... Although I must admit I'm hopeless at finding anything (I even had to ask how to see the new postings each time I enter the forums!) Is it the same as donating?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:50 AM   #13
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Here's all the info on the Premium Membership, including the tracks available right now...
http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/announcement.php?a=4

Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:50 AM   #14
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

By the way, how does the "I'm A Loser" track sound to you?

Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:08 AM   #15
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gos Coix View Post
Thanks a lot!

Do you mean that they can only be purchased from them via internet, or that now they're all unavailable and that you must find them in emule or the like through someone who has converted them to mp3?
The irony about Purple Chick sets is that they are only available as free. The usual and best route to get a bootleg is to know somebody who deals with them.

You can always request for a bootleg and see what the 4 or 5 magicians can do for you.

- Biggles
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:12 AM   #16
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
By the way, how does the "I'm A Loser" track sound to you?
Since I look at these things as archival reference and not as an audiophile experience, the sound is fine. Even converting the 128 CBR Mp3 and played on my main stereo system the sound is comparable to the early Beatles catalog on CD, which is more than I expect out of archival material.

Thanks again. I think the premium offer is an attractive offer considering the benefits.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:26 AM   #17
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I would have to turn my euros into dollars before I'd turn for the premium membership. I don't know how the other Europeans have dealt with this then.

- Biggles
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

If you have a PayPal account, they do it for you. Or at least that's what I think happens. We've had a few UK members sign up through PayPal without a problem. And I've paid for stuff from Europe or England on eBay through PayPal, and I'm sure it converted it for them.

Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:29 AM   #19
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks for that link to the info on Premium Membership. I've tried to find that Announcements section in the Forum home page, and I haven't seen it. Shouldn't it be more easy to find? (Although, as I've said, it might just be this gift of me for not seeing things under my nose!)

It might be a good idea, both because of all those bootlegs and also because I suppose that money will help to keep all this forum going. At this moment I cannot spend anything (even if it's a small quantity, as is the case), since in the last month I've already spent more money than I should (oh, that gorgeous "Recording the Beatles book"!), but right after the summer holidays I'll find out how to get a PayPal account and subscribe. Besides, that will give me some time to list exactly what bootlegs I've got, whether they're real or fake, and all that.

I've listened to the "I'm a loser" track you provided, and it seems good enough to justify that subscription!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:38 AM   #20
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

The announcements are at the top of every forum page. I mean, each separate forum. I could put it on the main forum page too I guess. And yeah, the "I'm A Loser" session is a good one, a great example of how quickly they changed the songs right there in the studio take by take. They could just have easily released that first version without a problem.