BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Apr 04, 2003, 06:28 PM   #1
Lynner

Default Wines

I've been on a wine kick (don't worry, I drink responsibly!) I don't know that much about wines, so for you "of age" members of the forum, do you have any brands you like? I prefer dryer reds and sweeter whites, but am open to try any.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2003, 11:09 PM   #2
Magill
Sun King

Default Re: Wines

Red wine is my favorite, Lynner. Chiantis and Cabernets mostly, and other drier red wines. It's funny, but most white wines give me a headache. [img]graemlins/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] (Usually, with most folks, it's the other way around!) I do enjoy a glass of chardonnay occasionally.
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2003, 11:50 PM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

I love wine.

To me it depends on the time of year.

In summertime I prefer a cold dry white wine, brand is less important.

I have holidays is France a lot and one can buy very good dry white wine, like Muscadet, Gros Plant.

Sancerre is always good throughout the year.

From Germany I love the Riesling.

Other periods,

Red has my preference. Don't have a particular preference regarding brands, but a Rioja is often very good and not too heavy. Most of the French I like. Chile wine is good (pinot noir, Cabernet) Australian, some Californian (Cabernet, Chardonnay)

It all depends on taste though.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Lynner

Cabernet is my choice wine for the colder months. I've not tried a Chianti that I've like, altho' I've not tried many, so I've you've a particular brand you've enjoyed, please let me know.
I like a good Piesporter (sorry if I've misspelled that!) Schlinkhaus (again possibly misspelled) makes several nice ones.
Rob, if your work brings you to Chicago, would you go wine shopping with me?
Old Apr 05, 2003, 04:45 PM   #5
Magill
Sun King

If anyone here ever visits San Francisco and appreciates fine California wines, you must go to the wine country (Napa & Sonoma counties) and go tasting! All different vineyards and makers. And there's even a wine train (albeit, it's EXPENSIVE!) that takes you all over. But, it beats drinking and driving. I use to have loads of fun doing that, while I lived up there. We'd stop for fresh baked bread and brie cheese. It makes for a very nice, culture-filled day trip. [img]graemlins/thumbsup1.gif[/img]
Old Apr 05, 2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Magill
Sun King

Lynner,
Bolla makes a nice chianti...and it's inexpensive.
"Bardolino", I think it's called. I've tried others that have been very nice and a bit more pricey, but Bolla is my standard.
Old Apr 06, 2003, 08:17 AM   #7
Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted By Magill:
Lynner,
Bolla makes a nice chianti...and it's inexpensive.
"Bardolino", I think it's called. I've tried others that have been very nice and a bit more pricey, but Bolla is my standard.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks for the suggestion! I hope to try a bottle of it this week. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Apr 06, 2003, 12:52 PM   #8
taxgirl
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted By FPSHOT:
In summertime I prefer a cold dry white wine, brand is less important.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, we had a few of those [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Apr 06, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message Edited By: taxgirl ][/size]
taxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2003, 01:27 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

I like the kinds under $5, often wrapped in brown paper bags. [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2003, 04:15 PM   #10
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hari's Chick:
I like the kinds under $5, often wrapped in brown paper bags. [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] Yes, I have 'enjoyed' many of these kinds of wine in my time! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

For the moment I prefer red wines over white, doesn't matter time of year I was given a Chilean wine for Christmas (Cabernet I think), which was very nice.

For white I like German wines , either still or sparkling. Riesling I like very much.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2003, 07:40 PM   #11
beatlelover45223

Quote:
Originally Posted By Hari's Chick:
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">te he he [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] * I have had a few of those too ! Ripple used to be one of those... Mogen David [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2003, 09:16 PM   #12
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Lynner:
Rob, if your work brings you to Chicago, would you go wine shopping with me?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Sure, if we can find the time [img]graemlins/wink1.gif[/img] At least we should try out one bottle.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2003, 05:16 AM   #13
Lynner

Sounds good to me, Rob!

Hmm...looks like I need to check out some Chilean wines. Several of you have mentioned them! Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2003, 03:37 PM   #14
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert

sorry cant help you im only 14 so i cant drink wine
Beatle_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 04:13 PM   #15
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

If you ever come to NY, Lynn, you should also try to go out to Long Island and check out some of the wineries on the North Fork. There are some very good ones there. Also the Hudson Valley north of the city has some nice wineries. I'd love to take you out to Long Island if you ever find yourself here! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Now...for good and inexpensive wine, we've been enjoying the Georges Deboeuf Merlot (Red) from France. It's not expensive, but it is VERY nice...the regular Merlot that comes in the bottle with a flower on the label is great, but if you can find the special "Domaine de Bordeneuve" Merlot, we have found that to be really spectacular for the money! (I've had trouble finding the Domaine de Bordeneuve, though, except at one wine store near here...)

I don't drink much white wine, but Jim and I did find a Chardonnay we liked from a vineyard out on Long Island called Osprey's Dominion -- I think the even have a website, you might want to see if you can find it. I think they can ship wine. They also make some nice fruit wines -- these are sort of sweet and more dessert-like, but they make a lovely Peach wine and a lovely Strawberry wine that are great after a meal!
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 04:31 PM   #16
Darkaardvark
Day Tripper

Thanks for the advice everyone [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Darkaardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 07:20 PM   #17
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

You know what? I'm not 18 yet, but I've had my fair share of experience with certain types of alcohol (...at family functions, I swear! *looks around*) and in my opinion, my favourite type of wine is a brand called Boone's. It's an apple wine, fairly sweet and it doesn't really have that strong alcohol-y taste, which is nice, but it is an alcoholic beverage (the first time I tried it, I honestly thought it was a spritzer and not a real wine!) They make quite a few different "flavours" -- strawberry, peach -- and it's very well-priced (about $5 CDN a bottle!) but it tastes so good!!!

Good to hear that you drink responsibly, Lynner! Seeing as how I don't drive because my parents won't let me get my license, I won't have to really worry about getting behind the wheel while intoxicated... but if I could drive, I wouldn't if I was drunk. (Did that make sense?...No I haven't been drinking... *hiccup*... er... I think I need to get to sleep...)
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:35 AM   #18
Clark Kent
Sun King

I prefer white wine to red but I think the difference is probably negligible to someone as uncultured as myself.
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote