BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Closed Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 04:59 AM   #1
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Man Sues Over Lennon Album Auction

This is not specifically about John, it's more general news, that's why I put it here.

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winst...254065537.html

Man Sues OnLine Auction Over John Lennon Album

Sep 11, 2003 6:40 am US/Eastern
(1010 WINS) NEWTON, N.J. The former owner of the album that John Lennon autographed for his assassin just before he was killed is suing the Internet auction company that sold it, claiming the firm has not paid him any of the money he is owed.

Philip Michael, 51, of Hamburg, filed the civil lawsuit against Moments in Time, a Washingtonville, N.Y.-based memorabilia auction house, and its president, Gary Zimet. The suit was filed in state Superior Court in Sussex County and was made public on Wednesday.

Michael claims he was never paid his 95-percent share of the sale of the ``Double Fantasy'' album Lennon signed for M*** D**** C******. The album linked C****** to the crime via his fingerprints and, according to the suit, is considered ``one of the most significant pieces of music memorabilia in existence.''

Zimet was not immediately available for comment, but the Moments in Time web site states the album sold for $464,000 at auction on Jan. 20, 1999. However, The New York Times reported in 2000 that Zimet said the album was bought by an anonymous California collector in January 1999 for $460,000.

The suit claims Zimet committed a breach of contract, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, professional negligence and violation of the Consumer Fraud Act. Michael, who owned the album for 17 years, is seeking unspecified actual and punitive damages, interest and attorneys' fees. He also wants an accounting of the moneys involved the sale.

``He hasn't gotten a dime, and that's what the lawsuit is about,'' Michael's attorney, Paul Hunczak, told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Thursday's editions. ``All we know is he doesn't have the album and Zimet has his money.''

Lennon autographed the album for C****** a few hours before he was shot to death on Dec. 8, 1980, outside Lennon's Dakota apartment building in Manhattan. The record was stashed by C****** in a planter outside the building, where it was found by Michael shortly after the shooting, Hunczak said.

According to the suit, Michael was living in New York at the time of the shooting and was among those who gathered at the scene. He found the album, which had fallen out of the planter, and later turned it over to police. The album was returned to him after C****** pleaded guilty and was sentenced.

In 1998, Denville resident Bob Zafian learned that Michael wanted to sell the album and he put him in touch with Zimet. Zafian, who is not named in the suit, said Michael and Zimet had a contract and, on Aug. 3, 1998, Moments in Time put the album on the auction block for $1.8 million.

That auction apparently fizzled, but it was put up again and eventually sold, although the sale price remains in dispute. Michael claims Zimet told him the album was bought for $150,000 by a now-defunct online auction site, with which he placed the album on consignment.

[size="1"][ Sep 11, 2003, 06:00 AM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:49 AM   #2
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Default Re: Man Sues Over Lennon Album Auction

Am I the only one thinking this piece of "memorabilia" is extremely gory?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:29 AM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Morbid and gruesome are the words that come to mind.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:55 AM   #4
onosideboards
Taxman

no kidding. that album ought to be burned. however, did anyone see the lennon exhibit at the rock hall? talk about gory... [img]graemlins/barf2.gif[/img]
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:26 PM   #5
Magill
Sun King

Gorey, yes. And also historical.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:30 PM   #6
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted By BrazilianFlag:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By onosideboards:
no kidding. that album ought to be burned. however, did anyone see the lennon exhibit at the rock hall? talk about gory... [img]graemlins/barf2.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I'm afraid not. What was there that was so gory?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I don't think it was barf-worthy, though it was gory...it was very disturbing, yes.

The very first thing you saw at the exhibit was a display wall with two tiny holes for viewing the showcases. One contained the bag of John's clothing and belongings from Roosevelt Hospital that were returned to Yoko, and one contained the bloodstained pair of eyeglasses John was wearing that night. (Those same glasses appeared on the sleeve for the single "Walking on Thin Ice" when it was originally released, btw.)

I think in the context of the Rock Hall exhbit, that display was designed to make the viewer think...to remember the violence with which the life ended before viewing the accumulated artifacts of that life. A very powerful statement, if you ask me.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:42 PM   #7
paul:coolerthanyou
Little Child

That's fine to make a statement. I just don't think anyone should be making any money for this. It should be offered for free to Yoko, if she wants it, or perhaps to someplace like the Rock and Roll HOF if she does not. *shrugs* well that is what I would do if I had found this.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:27 PM   #8
magicalmyterytour_roadie
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted By HMVNipper:

The very first thing you saw at the exhibit was a display wall with two tiny holes for viewing the showcases. One contained the bag of John's clothing and belongings from Roosevelt Hospital that were returned to Yoko, and one contained the bloodstained pair of eyeglasses John was wearing that night. (Those same glasses appeared on the sleeve for the single "Walking on Thin Ice" when it was originally released, btw.)

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Just the thought of that makes me cry...
[img]graemlins/cry5.gif[/img]
Old Sep 11, 2003, 02:46 PM   #9
SF4-EVER

I wouldn't even want that album; the thought just makes me shudder.

IMO, this really does belong in Menlove Avenue, so I'll move it there.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 11:59 PM   #10
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I'm afraid not. What was there that was so gory?
Closed Thread