BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Paul McCartney Keen to rework another lost John Lennon track with Jeff Lynne

Express.uk
10/8/2012
PAUL MCCARTNEY KEEN TO REWORK ANOTHER LOST JOHN LENNON TRACK WITH JEFF LYNNE

SIR PAUL McCARTNEY is plotting to return to the studio with producer JEFF LYNNE and complete work on another JOHN LENNON tune he and his BEATLES bandmates gave up on while recording FREE AS A BIRD for the group's ANTHOLOGY project.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ith-Jeff-Lynne

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Oct 09, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:52 AM   #2
Brainwashed
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to Brainwashed

Hope it happens.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I saw Paul on that Jeff Lynne special but didn't hear him say that! It would be interesting should it ever happen.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

He did say it in the documentary but he said it in a jokey off the cuff way, semi serious.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

This story seems to come up every year or so. It's the song "Now And Then" isn't it? Not a Lennon masterpiece, but neither were the other two songs. It's definitely doable, I'm sure the technology for that kind of stuff is much better today than in the 90s.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Yeah, he mentions Now and Then by name.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
This story seems to come up every year or so. It's the song "Now And Then" isn't it? Not a Lennon masterpiece, but neither were the other two songs. It's definitely doable, I'm sure the technology for that kind of stuff is much better today than in the 90s.
Is this your opinion about the demo versions, or the resulting Threetles treatment?
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Actually, I should take part of that back. I think Real Love is one of his better solo songs, the versions with just him on acoustic guitar are pretty sweet. But I've always thought Free As A Bird was a very very weak song, both the music and the lyrics. I'm really surprised they chose that song at all, especially for the first "new" Beatles song in a million years. What the Threetles did with both songs was pretty amazing, considering what they started with. Especially on Free As A Bird, they added some sections that were never there, like the solo bit. Without that stuff, it would have been a really terrible song.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I agree w your assessment. But I believe both of the songs deserve their place in the catalog. I absolutely love both songs. Despite my initial response of "Awww, hellz no, they din't!!".

Last edited by Colonel Angus : Oct 11, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:39 AM   #10
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I'd be excited to hear it. I wonder how much they were able to lay down with George? I think it would feel empty without George on it, honestly. It would've been great had they just finished it back in the day like Paul wanted to. I'm betting he deferred to George on this matter because he's probably a little sensitive about being viewed as bossy. I love George, but I kinda hate that he seemed to get a little pissy towards the end of the Anthology project.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post
but I kinda hate that he seemed to get a little pissy towards the end of the Anthology project.
I heard McCartney didn't want George to play slide guitar as it wasn't Beatles era George. I can see why George would get a 'tude. When I read earlier that he called the song 'crap', I'm guessing it was all coming back to him. He was probably paraphrasing something Lennon or McCartney said to him repeatedly for six yrs when he presented them a song.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:23 AM   #12
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
I think it would feel empty without George on it
... yes and no...

Think of all the Beatles songs which only had 3, 2 or 1 (!) of them on it.

First song that comes to mind right now, "I, me, mine"... does it suffer any from not having John playing on it ?

Yes, in a perfect world, Paul and Ringo would get John and Goerge on any said song, but short of a crummy guitar solo by someone else, I could live with it.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:17 AM   #13
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
I heard McCartney didn't want George to play slide guitar as it wasn't Beatles era George. I can see why George would get a 'tude. When I read earlier that he called the song 'crap', I'm guessing it was all coming back to him. He was probably paraphrasing something Lennon or McCartney said to him repeatedly for six yrs when he presented them a song.
I tend to side with Paul in almost all of these kinds of arguments. I agree that George shouldn't have been playing slide guitar. If the goal is for it to sound like the Beatles, rather than George's solo work, then of course take out the slide guitar. Please don't get me wrong. I sincerely have a great deal of affection for George, but I don't think he was above being pouty when it came to the Beatles. And if he wanted to call a dead man's song "crap" in order to get some kind of a dig in, well then that's really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
... yes and no...

Think of all the Beatles songs which only had 3, 2 or 1 (!) of them on it.

First song that comes to mind right now, "I, me, mine"... does it suffer any from not having John playing on it ?

Yes, in a perfect world, Paul and Ringo would get John and Goerge on any said song, but short of a crummy guitar solo by someone else, I could live with it.
Well, it's hard for me to know if "I Me Mine" suffers without John, but I would have to think that it could have only improved with John on it. Even if they were collectively recording a song that one of them disliked, they each had the power to do things to improve it greatly. Think of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da". From all accounts I've heard, John effing hated the song, but that led to him coming up with the piano intro, which is a good deal of the appeal of that song. Quite honestly, I could live with a Paul guitar solo on this new song (after all, Paul laid down some pretty great guitar on a number of their songs), but I just hope they were able to lay something down with George on it. Some vocals at least. Otherwise it would just not feel right to me.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

So why does Keane deserve this honor? Nothing against them, they're a fine band. But for McCartney to select them is a little like Lennon selecting Cheap Trick in 1980. Another fine band. But in 1980 they were still a new band. And I believe that's why I'm Losing You was vaulted.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
And if he wanted to call a dead man's song "crap" in order to get some kind of a dig in, well then that's really sad.
I don't think he meant the song itself was crap, but the quality of what they had to work with. The tape was not exactly well-recorded, after all...

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote