BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Oct 16, 2003, 06:31 PM   #1
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

Default By Hook Or By Crook !

I've always wondered what the source was for John's quote "By Hook Or By Crook I'll Be The Last In This Book" on the last page of the Anthology book. I've scanned the photo credits etc so many times without any luck...does any one have any ideas?
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 09:39 PM   #2
Johnna Lynn
Mr. Moonlight

Default Re: By Hook Or By Crook !

Quote:
Originally Posted By LuvLennon:
I've always wondered what the source was for John's quote "By Hook Or By Crook I'll Be The Last In This Book" on the last page of the Anthology book. I've scanned the photo credits etc so many times without any luck...does any one have any ideas?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That quote is a Lennon original, written when he was a boy. It is assumed the quote is in his handwriting, probably taken from The Daily Howl, a comic he wrote as a youngster.
Johnna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:35 AM   #3
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks Johnna Lynn! I thought the writing looked like a younger John! I do love the way it was placed on the very last page!
Old Oct 17, 2003, 06:21 AM   #4
Johnna Lynn
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Thanks Johnna Lynn! I thought the writing looked like a younger John! I do love the way it was placed on the very last page!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You are welcome, LuvLennon!
It is nice to know someone placed that quote at the end Of Anthology with care.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:48 AM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

By Hook or By Crook is an old cliche meaning "by any means possible, be it fair or foul." I don't know the origin, but Sleepy might. She has extensive knowledge of cliche origins.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 02:33 PM   #6
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I sometimes write that in yearbooks! lol!
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:36 AM   #7
SleepyHead
Sun King

As far back as Mosaic times, the less fortunate members of society (widows, orphans, the elderly, and the lame) were by law free to pick up whatever harvested items fell to the ground behind those who harvested the crops for the wealthy, so long as no extraodinary efforts on the part of the unfortunate were required other than bending over and picking them up. It was quite illegal to actually pluck from the plant or tree itself, as anything still attached belonged to the landowner or crop owner himself.

Of course, those who couldn't bend over for themselves, for presumably health reasons, were allowed to use their walking staff. Being mostly shepherdic societies, those disabled who found themselves in need of such a staff were also normally too disabled to cut themselves a new staff, and would use their old shepherd's staff.

To use the staff legitimately was okay - but those who didn't need the staff were guilty of using extraordinary means.

In medieval times, the laws of the land also entitled the destitute to fruits and nuts that had fallen naturally from the trees in the landowners' orchards. While it was perfectly okay to "hook" the fallen fruit, it was decidedly illegal to use the crook-end of the shepherd's staff to shake the live fruit from the trees.

"By hook, or by crook" simply is a restatement of the obvious - by fair means (by the allowed hooking of fallen items to a reachable place) or foul (by the unentitled crook, or using the crook in the wrong way.)

An interesting side note: another derivative of the old "by hook or by crook" was "hooky-crooky", just a short phrase to describe someone who would use any means, legal or not, to acheive their own ends. This phrase later shortened to "hookey", and was used to describe those who shagged off work or lessons by the use of deception.
SleepyHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 06:05 PM   #8
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

I was actually only asking about the origin in terms of when John had written and where, but thanks for that extensive explanation as to the origin of the term itself, you learn something new every day!
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:36 PM   #9
SleepyHead
Sun King

Sorry about that, LuvLennon - as for when and where John penned that originally, I'd read it somewhere, but can't remember where. I seem to recall it was an actual book, though, not "The Daily Howl".

BB seemed interested in the meaning of the cliché itself, so I thought I'd add it in...
SleepyHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 07:59 AM   #10
Johnna Lynn
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
I was actually only asking about the origin in terms of when John had written and where, but thanks for that extensive explanation as to the origin of the term itself, you learn something new every day!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Hey all!
Some of what ended up in In His Own Write and A Spaniard In The Works came from John's childhood 'comics' and doodles. I referred to The Daily Howl because that's the first 'compilation' of both. John was a child when he did Howl, and the writing in The Anthology
"By hook or by crook" was in his young hand.
[img]graemlins/rainbow3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rainbow3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rainbow3.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Oct 29, 2003, 09:02 AM: Message Edited By: Johnna Lynn ][/size]
Old Nov 30, 2003, 04:50 AM   #11
TeoTorriate
Day Tripper

That was the coolest way to end the book. [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]
TeoTorriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2018, 04:39 PM   #12
Beatnixo1
Fool On The Hill

Supposedly John wrote this in an autograph album belonging to his cousin Stanley Parkes , in 1948 aged eight
Beatnixo1 is offline   Reply With Quote