BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:44 AM   #1
servi
Little Child

Default Friar Park map with "Let it roll" lyrics

Ever wondered where George got the words of this song, take a look here:
"Where ye echo lays":

"Lose yer bodies in the maze":

"Ye long walks of Cool and Shade" "Ye rest awhile":

Itīs from this old map of Friar Park:
servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

This is so awesome to see, thanks so much

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

Thank you for this!

- George Harrison
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Hari's Chick

Thanks so much for posting this. It's amazing. Do you have a copy of the whole map by chance? (It looks like it extends a bit beyond the pics posted here?)
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Legs
Sun King

Amazing to see, feels like a nice history lesson. Thanks.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:35 PM   #6
servi
Little Child

Yeah, it's amazing isn't it. For me it was a great way to (almost) end 2010. This week I bought a book on the firm for which Sir Frank used to work and the first surprise was that it contained a picture of the Friar Park map (which for many years I knew existed but had been unable to locate for a reasonable price). When I was studying the map, there was the big second surprise when I suddenly recognized the songs lyrics. I was really flabbergasted and I thought it would be interesting to share with other fans, because everybody knows vaguely what the song is about but no one actually understood where the olde English words came from. Could post a pic of the rest of the map if anyone's interested...it's a little late now..
I've been spending (too) much time on studying Sir Frank recently and found a lot of interesting facts. Thinking of writing a book, but not sure if enough people would be interested in this.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Legs
Sun King

Loved to walk around Friar Park and discover all these things. George certainly woved a lot of things from that place into his lyrics. Take your time but would love to see more.

Last edited by Legs : Dec 29, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:32 PM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by servi View Post
I've been spending (too) much time on studying Sir Frank recently and found a lot of interesting facts. Thinking of writing a book, but not sure if enough people would be interested in this.
I have been thinking of the same thing, writing a George book but still am working out what would be the story but things like this are so mighty interersting because I know many people would be interested in the surrounding stories like about Friar Park

Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:41 PM   #9
hibgal
Sun King

I would dearly love a book about Friar Park itself, house and garden. Don't think it's been done yet, has it?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:44 PM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

Certainly not about the period when George lived there so my Michael Palin kind of study has now begun and I know I will be in Henley with my taxgirl somewhere next year.

Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:24 PM   #11
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Absolutely beautiful...though i cannot see the entire images shared above. Only a quarter top half of the image in each block seems to load for me.....and no more. I am not sure why they will not load...anyone else having this problem?

Any possibility these could be resposted so those of us with slower internet speeds could view these?

From what little i CAN see...these look to be quite stunning and full of interest.

Thank you for sharing these! Can you reveal the title of the book these images originally came from? May be well worth tracking down for those of us interested in the properties history.

Again, thank you for sharing these.

www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer

Last edited by Unknown Delight : Dec 29, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Unknown Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:39 AM   #12
servi
Little Child

Here's a photo of the "Fountain of perpetual mirth (let it roll for all it's worth)" (I can imagine many of ye have wondered what this fountain looks like !) and also scans of parts 1 and 2 of the Friar Park map. If someone can't see these properly, please send me a private message and I will send by email. I think if you click on the images, you are redirected to imageshack.us where you can directly download them.
The map is in the book "Ashurst Morris Crisp, a radical firm", about the law company for which Sir Frank used to work from the 1860s untill his death in 1919. It has excellent information on him, including some pictures and even his school bill from 1857. He was a real hard worker (and also earned an extremely lot of money as a lawyer).
Concerning writing a book on FP/sir Frank, indeed many would be interested and I have found more than enough information from old books and journals (even a short letter of Crisp in the renowned scientific journal Nature from 1888), but some crucial publications are missing in my collection, most importantly "the guide for the use of visitors". If anyone has rare info on FP/Sir Frank (not the standard superficial wikipedia stuff), please send me a PM so we can swop photocopies or files.

Last edited by servi : Dec 30, 2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Hari's Chick

Wow!!!! Amazing!!!

Do you know how many of the gardens were intact, or restored by George? Is the grave garden truly that... maybe that is the garden- remember the picture of George with the skeleton? And the Blue garden... I wonder what that may be? The Croci (?) garden.... do you know what these are? Fascinating. And to the right of the Croci Garden there is "ye vallae of...??"

Amazing!!! I'd love if there were reproductions of this map to hang on the wall! It's gorgeous... and so George! Wonder if Sir Frank would be delighted to have made it into rock and roll history, haha!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by servi View Post
Concerning writing a book on FP/sir Frank, indeed many would be interested and I have found more than enough information from old books and journals (even a short letter of Crisp in the renowned scientific journal Nature from 1888), but some crucial publications are missing in my collection, most importantly "the guide for the use of visitors".
I would love to read such a book!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:43 AM   #15
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Wow!!!! Amazing!!!

Do you know how many of the gardens were intact, or restored by George? Is the grave garden truly that... maybe that is the garden- remember the picture of George with the skeleton? !
I cannot see the full scans of the map, so cannot see the image shown, but i DO beleive the grave garden was still indeed intact once GH took up residence. I have a couple of photos of him from 1974 of him sitting on a hill within the grounds with gravestones in the background. If their is interest i can try posting these here.

Servi, i will be sending you a PM. I still cannot see the full images, but more then likely it is just my slow connection speed not being able to upload the files from imageshack. Again, i thank you profusely for sharing these with us all!

Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:46 PM   #16
servi
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Is the grave garden truly that... maybe that is the garden- remember the picture of George with the skeleton? And the Blue garden... I wonder what that may be? The Croci (?) garden.... do you know what these are? Fascinating. And to the right of the Croci Garden there is "ye vallae of...??"
Yes, most probably that is the grave garden. I also remember a picture from approx. 1971 where George is playing guitar in front of some grave stones. Can't find the actual picture but here http://static1.balsas.lt/09/21/1_george_px600.jpg is one of the same session. Unknown delight, would be great if you could post more of these..
Croci are crocuses, a kind of flower. Next to it is "Ye valley of daffodowndillies". Don't know how much was intact of the gardens in 1969. Concerning the house, the nuns that used to live there painted some things over here and there I read...
I remember standing myself at "Ye upper gate" in 1998 while visiting Henley. It was wide open, but I didn't dare to go in. Still regret it a little bit, but on the other hand I would hate to find stranger drinking out of my fountain of perpetual mirth in my back garden.
@Unknown delight, yes please send PM including your email address because pictures cannot be attached directly via PM I believe.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Thank you Servi....PM has been sent. Many thanks for your kind offer to send these for me to view. I am interested in seeing the whole picture, as i recognize a few of the locations shown. I can only see the top 1/4 of the images, but i already spot a couple of things George has talked about in the past.

Here are the two photos i have of GH in what could be the 'Grave Garden'...
Both were shot during the famous 1974 photo shoot done at FP for promotional purproses i believe. Many different poses were done in various locations on the Grounds, with a couple of photos used on the 'Dark Horse' album sleeve. Some were also used in the press to promote the Dark Horse Tour as well. There are a slew of beautiful images that were taken, many people here have probably seen them at some point.

Anyway, here is a color version, and a alternative black n' white image.

-

-

I have read about the state of the Grounds when George first moved into FP. The majority of the property was overgrown and in dire need of some serious pruning and upkeep. Most of the gardens were neglected to the point to where the weeds had completey strangled most of the preferred plantings.

The beautiful main water feature, the 'lake', was filled in with dirt, rubbish, and many large rocks. It was said this was done by the religious teachers at the then Catholic school housed there to discourage any frolic in the waters which they beleived would lead to 'sinful' thoughts or actions. These same people also 'censored' several of the lovely statues and sculptures throughout the house and grounds, breaking off and painting over 'naughty bits' they felt were too scandalous for their liking. Many a cherub had his....cough....male bits hacked off with a wide hammer!

Bramble was wild and wooly and out of control..choking several of the prized decorative trees and shrubs..and when George arrived he was so saddened to see what one could plainly see was something so grand yet left neglected for so many years. He certainly had quite a task ahead of him to clean up the mess and restore the gardens and grounds to their former glory...and beyond!

More details regarding this can be found in the wonderful book 'Here Comes The Sun' by Joshua Greene. In one chapter it goes into more detail regarding the sad state of affairs the property was in when George arrived to take claim of the Park. The book is lovely, and i highly recommend a read.

Last edited by Unknown Delight : Dec 30, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:43 AM   #18
zipp

Great stuff !

In some ways John had the gothic Dakota (perhaps reminding him of Strawberry Fields) and George had gothic Friar Park.

As with a lot of people the nearest I got was the North entrance. I saw a big car with darkened windows come out and have always wondered if George was inside!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:02 AM   #19
servi
Little Child

Unknown delight, thanks for uploading these pictures. These are the ones I meant. Could be the Grave garden where he is sitting. And what a nice Zemaitis guitar he has...
I ordered the book Here comes the sun. Can't wait to read the details.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:49 AM   #20
servi
Little Child

Here's an old postcard of "Ye dial garden" that is depicted on the map above. Compare the postcard with the map and notice that even the statues and large vases are drawn in the map. Also the sundial is present (in the opposite corner). This had a text "shadows we are and shadows we depart" according to Alan Clayson's book "George Harrison" (page 302).