BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Default Who Saw The Debates, and What Did You Think

We watched the debates last night. Well more to the point Magill was in front of the TV and I was over here listening to them.

Being very honest and concise; Both McCain and Obama did well. They both brought up good points to consider and answered the questions thoughtfully. Obama was just that much more to the point than McCain was.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Magill
Sun King

If I took a shot of tequila everytime Sen. McCain said, "What Sen. Obama doesn't understand is.." I would have been wasted! Sen McCain's main goal was to point out to everyone, at every opportunity how inexperienced his opponent is. I have a feeling that the Vice-Presidential debate will take the same turn--except it will be Palin that's gonna take the beating, in those terms. I'm looking forward it watching it. It should be quite interesting.
I understand many foreigners were watching last night. Bin Laden probably has a satellite dish on top of his cave.

Last edited by Magill : Sep 27, 2008 at 05:39 AM.
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 05:59 AM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

I did

It was quite interesting and I also believe Obama over all was aiming more to get to the point.

McCain even though kept repeating history and I wonder if there will be a count available of the times he said "I have experience in that" and "what Senator Obama does not understand is...".

In my observation Obama seemed a bit nervous whereas McCain seemed more relaxed but what annoyed me a lot is that McCain just kept talking when "Jim?" was interrupting him and also when Obama already had been given the 2 minutes reply time. But Obama reacted well to that.

Obama I think made good points about McCain having wrongly judged the local situation in Iraq when the war began and also was scoring points saying how Bin Laden still has not been found, but...I say that as part of the total discussion about the issues in that region including Afganistan and Iran. On Iran I think McCain was well informed but judges the issue of nuclear wapons way too heavy.

Also about the financial crisis Obama scored very well I think when the discussion went on about both the influence for people and their financial future and also the taxes companies pay which seemed to be reduced a lot but on a net basis are far less than McCain wants people to believe. You will know the financial crisis involves most of the world deeply and from there I think what both said about the aid program was good. Even though I have heard that the involvement of especially McCain in last Friday's meeting about the resque program was not appreciated by even his party members lol and he had hardly read the program proposal which what I heard only contained 3 pages at that time.

Where Obama a few times reminded McCain that McCain has supported the past decisions from the current President / Congress which has lead to quite some disasters McCain replied by saying that he is not really Mr. Popular with all his protests against proposals from Bush +, yet I wonder if that has been impressive.

All in all an interesting debate I think. No winner to me sofar.

Yes I am an outsider in all this but so are the other millions of people being not from the US who follow these developments very seriously and from there I can not hide that McCain with his long time experience does make a good impression, even though he needs to adjust his performance I think. Maybe he was a bit influenced about the remarks in the press saying he is the running mate of Mrs. Palin

I do look forward to the next debate.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:13 AM   #4
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
I understand many foreigners were watching last night. Bin Laden probably has a satellite dish on top of his cave.
I honestly do not mean this harsh or sarcastic or anything negative but I am surprised each time you guys refer to "foreigners" following the election thingie as being so special. I can think of many reasons why millions of "foreigners" watch it day in day out.

So you saw the "understand" thingie too huh

Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:54 AM   #5
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I watched for about an hour. Then honestly, got a bit bored. It did bother me that McCain wouldn't look at Obama, but I still believe more in him and his policies.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

McCain is a gun wearing cowboy who is an idiot and for that reason will probably be voted in by the American nation.
If Obama wins he will probably be shot by a gun wearing cowboy idiot!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:02 AM   #7
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I love gunwearing cowboys!
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

FP a foreigner is someone not born in one's own native land. In Canada I would be considered a foreigner, and I don't mind it. If Magill and I travel to Holland again the term foreigner would apply. We are not native to Holland. I never will understand your reluctance of the term.

By the way, FP, isn't Mick Jones a foreigner?

Last edited by Blackguard : Sep 27, 2008 at 08:16 AM.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:20 AM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackguard View Post
FP a foreigner is someone not born in one's own native land.
Really? Well I kinda figured that would be it yeah.

Quote:
I never will understand your reluctance of the term.
perhaps I am writing foreign English but all I refer to is that some here at Links and who live in the USA seem "surprised" that "foreigners" are that interested in who will be the next American Top President. And I am not the only one if you may remember some previous conversations. So I understand very well what a foreigner is also because in many cases I am one and am not at all reluctant to the term and will never understand why you think I would be, well the latter is not entirely true.

Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Magill
Sun King

Foreigner - The new "F" word on Links.

She said a dirty word!!

Yes, yes. This is all too silly, isn't it?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:47 AM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
Yes, yes. This is all too silly, isn't it?
exactly yes.

Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:34 PM   #12
thecaitycat
Rocky Raccoon

McCain bugged me by being condescending and disrespectful. He wouldn't look at Obama, kept saying how he "didn't seem to understand" or was naive", and wouldn't stay out of the past. What McCain voted for 25 years ago isn't nearly as important as what he's voted for in the past couple of years. He wouldn't own up to his voting record and that bothered me. So much for "straight talk".

That said, I was also disappointed that Obama didn't bring his A-Game like he could have. I want him to step things up for the next debate.

"Congratulations, Madam. There's another town you've destroyed." - William Shaw
thecaitycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Serena

If you have ben watching the campaign from the beginning, you already know where each candidate stands on all the issues, I did not think either of them really brought anything new to the table.

The main concern wih people at this time is with the economy, Obama may have delivered a bit better on that subject as far as giving more specifics and being more direct. In certain areas, McCain seemed to be focused on the past rather than the future.

The central point of last night's debate was suppose to focus on foreign policies. McCain seem to shine brighter in that area due to life experience which Obama could only deliver book knowledge on. However, McCain did come off a little condenscending towards Obama. But That is the game of politics, McCain seemed to be playing more offense while Obama was playing defense.

Overall I do not think anyone really won, it was all really more of a regurgitation of the information we alreay knew. Which ever side you stand on is probably the side you still remain standin on. Next week's debate should be very interesting.

Last edited by Serena : Sep 27, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:41 PM   #14
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I watched the debate with avid interest.

I LOVED it when Obama said, "...and singing songs about bombing Iran," in response to McCain's sick song, "Bomb Iran" to the tune of the inane song "Barbara Ann." I hated it when McCain sang that; bombing human beings and their homeland is not something I can ever sanction or see the lighter side of.

Obama was on his toes at all times and his answers were intelligent; relevant and very well expressed.

Jim Lehrer was an excellent moderator and I watched the debates with a group of enthusiastic democrats at a local restaurant with a large outdoor area. There were televisions set up all over the back area and we enjoyed watching under the stars.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:32 PM   #15
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

McCain

N'Obama 08

As a registered Independent who will vote for neither of the above, I was way too busy doing something else. I don't even remember what it was, but had to be more interesting and entertaining than watching either of those two bores.

I live in AZ, McCain is one of my Senators, but can't stand the guy. I will vote for either:
1) Chuck Baldwin (Constitution Party)
2) Tom Tancredo (R-CO) write in
3) Sheriff Joe Arpaio (write in, America's toughest Sheriff) On 2nd thought, he's
way to valuable here being our Sheriff
OR
4) myself (write in)

Gee, I thought the Bush-Kerry election had 2 horrible choices. The parties outdid themselves this time.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]

Last edited by darkhorse23 : Sep 27, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:02 PM   #16
beatlelover45223

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
I did

Also about the financial crisis Obama scored very well I think when the discussion went on about both the influence for people and their financial future and also the taxes companies pay which seemed to be reduced a lot but on a net basis are far less than McCain wants people to believe. You will know the financial crisis involves most of the world deeply and from there I think what both said about the aid program was good. Even though I have heard that the involvement of especially McCain in last Friday's meeting about the resque program was not appreciated by even his party members lol and he had hardly read the program proposal which what I heard only contained 3 pages at that time.

Actually on the financial rescue, McCain and Obama I think, were basically in agreement with the plan, the Republicans do not want regulation in business and the rescue proposal calls for oversseing that the money is used as bailout only, not for any financial gain of the higher ups in the banks, no risky investments by these financial institutions, the goverment also wants to see these banks work with people on securing their failed mortgages...

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:10 PM   #17
beatlelover45223

I think Obama, came out ahead in the debate, he was more "Main Street" (the people of the US) oriented, this defintely was off the mark on foreign policy, I know both candidates touched base a little but not enough, guess the financial mess at this time is most pressing to all!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:14 PM   #18
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlelover45223 View Post
Actually on the financial rescue, McCain and Obama I think, were basically in agreement with the plan, the Republicans do not want regulation in business and the rescue proposal calls for oversseing that the money is used as bailout only, not for any financial gain of the higher ups in the banks, no risky investments by these financial institutions, the goverment also wants to see these banks work with people on securing their failed mortgages...
Yeah, true and I believe Obama touched the subject in this way like you describe somewhat more direct to the point than McCain.

Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:31 PM   #19
thecaitycat
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlelover45223 View Post
I think Obama, came out ahead in the debate, he was more "Main Street" (the people of the US) oriented, this defintely was off the mark on foreign policy, I know both candidates touched base a little but not enough, guess the financial mess at this time is most pressing to all!
Agreed. Obama was more put-together and had some coherent ideas for the economy. I like how he presented his ideas as lists; it made things easier to follow.

I'm more worried about the financial situation than foreign policy at this time. It's what we needed to hear about.

"Congratulations, Madam. There's another town you've destroyed." - William Shaw
thecaitycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:06 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlelover 45223
I think Obama, came out ahead in the debate, he was more "Main Street" (the people of the US) oriented, this definitely was off the mark on foreign policy, I know both candidates touched base a little but not enough, guess the financial mess at this time is most pressing to all!
Well said, Beatlelover. The Bailout on Wall Street is a MAJOR issue and a group of protesters marched downtown on Thursday with picket signs in re this issue. One man had a sign that said "Main Street YES! Wall Street NO!" Another had a sign that read, "The Bu$h $tops Here" and "Jail Without Bail for those responsible for the Bailout!" It was quite a peaceful and good scene.

I am no fan of McCain and make no bones about voting and campaigning for Obama.

No way running was I going to miss those debates. I watched them downtown with a bunch of enthusiastic democrats in an outdoor venue. I even taped them just to be sure I didn't miss anything which I am glad to say I didn't.

I felt it was important to hear both sides so I could get a more balanced picture and make what I feel to be an informed decision.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Sep 28, 2008 at 09:09 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote