BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:01 PM   #1
62hofner

Default Mono mixes, etc...

Ok, this might belong on the "bootleg" forum, but I thought it might fit here, as well... and maybe get more exposure to boot.

I just downloaded a bunch of mono mixes of "Revolver" tracks off a bootleg site and created myself a rather nifty "U.S." mono version of the album. Upon first listen, I noticed lots of differences in some of these mixes than the ones I am accustomed to....

"Love You To" has a longer fade-out than what I've heard on the Parlophone CDs, as well as the U.S. LP... "Got To Get You Into My Life" also sports a longer fade-out - and with different yelling vocals by Paul at the very end of the fade. There are other differences, I am sure, but I won't really know until I listen on my home stereo (at the moment, I am listening at a very low volume on my computer at work).

So, are these versions that I just downloaded THE TRUE mono mixes - the ones that appeared on US and UK mono albums, or are they "alternate" mixes?

I'll post them later today if anyone needs to hear them first before weighing in.

I'm a stereo guy, primarily. So, I haven't a clue when it comes to mono versions.

P.S. Never mind posting them... I got them off of CD 2 here: http://mantra.nm.ru/beatles.html

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 23, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I think that most of the US mono mixes are just stereo mix-downs. In some cases they received the stereo masters first and rather than wait for the monos to arrive they created mono mixes from them. The UK had the true mono mixes and each song was especially mixed from the master tapes into both mono and stereo. These mixes often sported little differences but some are quite striking. For example, the mono mix of Blackbird from the White album has different bird sounds than the stereo mix. The mono mix of 'Helter Skelter' ends at the first fade out and so Ringo's shouting at the end is complete cut away.

There's also silly things, like the mono mix of 'She's Leaving Home' was sped up a little and made it in a different key to the stereo mix. This also happened to the mono mix of 'Don't Pass Me By' on the white album - they really sped it up there and Ringo sounds like he's on helium!

I'm sure there's a site out there that catalogues every difference between the mono and stereo mixes, I just don't know where it is. :-p
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:49 PM   #3
62hofner

Thanks... I think those versions of "Helter Skelter" and "Don't Pass Me By" are on the U.S. "Rarities"...???

A bit off topic... do you know if this set is this "worth" getting?

http://www.thefestforbeatlesfans.com...d_beatles/1321

I mean, if it's The Beatles then it's worth it. But with the re-masterings somewhere down the road, just wondered if these would be "obsolete" soon.

Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Legs
Sun King

I believe that by the time of "Revolver" Capitol were using real mono mixes instead of fold downs. Anyway you've got the real mono mixes, judging by the description you gave, extra vocals by Paul on "Got To Get You Into My Life" etc.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner
Thanks... I think those versions of "Helter Skelter" and "Don't Pass Me By" are on the U.S. "Rarities"...???
Yes they are.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:13 PM   #6
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
I believe that by the time of "Revolver" Capitol were using real mono mixes instead of fold downs. Anyway you've got the real mono mixes, judging by the description you gave, extra vocals by Paul on "Got To Get You Into My Life" etc.
Ok, cool! Thanks for the reply!

As I was saying, I prefer stereo as a general rule. But those mono mixes are cool in their own way. The guitars are a little more "up front" if that is the right way to explain it. There's just something different about the sound - and not only as far as the balance in the speakers is concerned. Not to mention the different fade-outs, instrumental passages, etc.

Anyway, I'm on a "must have every version" kick lately... mono as well as stereo.

Here's a slightly "duh!" question... are the presently-available Parlophone CDs in mono or stereo?

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 24, 2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Legs
Sun King

The cd version of Revolver is in Stereo.

I could write more diferences down between the mono and stereo "Revolver", but this site covers the most important ones, tho he forgets to mention the longer fade on "Love You To".

He also forgets "Here There and Everywhere" tho the diference is minor. At the end of the stereo version you can hear Paul sing "I will be there", while in mono it's just "will be there".

JPGR page - Revolver

For the most part there are no diferences between the U.S. and U.K. stereo and mono versions, but there are some.

Since EMI had to send out the tapes to Capitol for inclusion on "Yesterday and Today" prior to the final mixes for the Revolver album, "I'm Only Sleeping" "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Dr. Robert" feauture earlier mono mixes. Not that there is always much of a diference between the U.K. and U.S. mixes of these songs.

There are 4 versions of "I'm Only Sleeping" U.S. mono and stereo and U.K. mono and stereo. The diferences are in the placements of the backwards guitar sounds.

And the U.S. mono version of "Dr. Robert" is somewhat different. It is slightly longer and at the end you can hear John say "okay, Herb".

Happy listening and discovering.

Last edited by Legs : Jun 26, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:52 PM   #8
62hofner

Quote:
The cd version of Revolver is in Stereo.

I could write more diferences down between the mono and stereo "Revolver", but this site covers the most important ones, tho he forgets to mention the longer fade on "Love You To".

He also forgets "Here There and Everywhere" tho the diference is minor. At the end of the stereo version you can hear Paul sing "I will be there", while in mono it's just "will be there".

JPGR page - Revolver

For the most part there are no diferences between the U.S. and U.K. stereo and mono versions, but there are some.

Since EMI had to send out the tapes to Capitol for inclusion on "Yesterday and Today" prior to the final mixes for the Revolver album, "I'm Only Sleeping" "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Dr. Robert" feauture earlier mono mixes. Not that there is always much of a diference between the U.K. and U.S. mixes of these songs.

There are 4 versions of "I'm Only Sleeping" U.S. mono and stereo and U.K. mono and stereo. The diferences are in the placements of the backwards guitar sounds.

And the U.S. mono version of "Dr. Robert" is somewhat different. It is slightly longer and at the end you can hear John say "okay, Herb".

Happy listening and discovering.
Thanks loads!!!!

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 26, 2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Then there is also the first U.K. mono mix of "Tommorow Never Knows", which was quikly withdrawn. This is again slightly longer, you can hear the piano playing at the end a bit more.

Glad to be of help.
It actually gave me a chance to pull out my bootlegs and listen to these versions again. Some of the differences I didn't really know till I listened to the songs in both mono and stereo today. Also Doug Sulply is a great help. His books on Beatles outtakes are very usefull.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:10 PM   #10
62hofner

Quote:
Then there is also the first U.K. mono mix of "Tommorow Never Knows", which was quikly withdrawn. This is again slightly longer, you can hear the piano playing at the end a bit more.

Glad to be of help.
It actually gave me a chance to pull out my bootlegs and listen to these versions again. Some of the differences I didn't really know till I listened to the songs in both mono and stereo today. Also Doug Sulply is a great help. His books on Beatles outtakes are very usefull.
I believe I now have those "early" mono versions. The web site I linked above offered two mono versions of the songs, "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Dr. Robert", and "I'm Only Sleeping". Each of these additonal versions were referred to as "Revolver-era mono mixes". I assumed that meant they were early/original mixes.

I notice on "Yellow Submarine", the opening chord is audible right from the beginning whereas on all versions I had heard prior, Ringo's "In the..." vocals are all alone, and the guitar starts on the word, "town". Very interesting, these mono versions!

I'd hope that if "Revolver" makes it into a Volume 3 of the Capitol Albums, they'd use these mono mixes and not just folded-down versions.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 26, 2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:27 AM   #11
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Quote:
Yeah, when the LP first went to press it had "remix 9" of Tomorrow Never Knows on it but very soon after production started, possibly after John heard it, production stopped so that the song could be remixed slightly. This new version was remix 11 and is the standard one we hear today.

The original '9' mix only exists in mono and can only be found on the very early 1st pressings of the mono LP. You can tell if your copy has it by looking at the matrix number stamped into the deadwax on side 2. Remix 9 copies have XEX 606-1.

They're very collectible and a decent copy can sell for around 250-300 / $500.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:22 AM   #12
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbidge
The original '9' mix only exists in mono and can only be found on the very early 1st pressings of the mono LP.
Again I have to say that it also can be found on bootlegs But ofcourse you're right that officially it's only on the 1st pressings of the mono LP.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:33 AM   #13
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Smart-arse. :-p

It's actually easier to find the original mono 1st pressing than it is to find a bootleg with it on. :-p
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:40 AM   #14
Legs
Sun King

Really?
Personally I was only able to find it on a bootleg, but then I haven't really searced for the first mono pressing of "Revolver".
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:45 PM   #15
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

If you do a search on eBay for "Revolver 606-1" you'll almost definitely find one.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 03:26 PM   #16
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbidge
If you do a search on eBay for "Revolver 606-1" you'll almost definitely find one.
Right you are!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-REVOLVER...QQcmdZViewItem

This link has downloads of those early mono versions:
http://mantra.nm.ru/beatles.html

I'm assuming they were created from a really good quality needle-drop? I am in the process of burning myself a "606-1" Revolver!

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 27, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:11 AM   #17
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Can you tell me how the site works. I can't download anything from it, all I get is links to other sites instead of mp3's.

Quote:

I'm assuming they were created from a really good quality needle-drop? I am in the process of burning myself a "606-1" Revolver!
I have almost done the same. Originaly I wanted to burn a "606-1" Revolver and a "Yesterday and Today", but I only had the "Yesterday and Today" stereo mixes of the three Revolver songs and "Yesterday" from "Yesterday and Today". Since I thought it was useless taking the other songs from the official U.K. cd's, I just burned myself a mono "Revolver" plus the three "Yesterday and Today" tracks, plus some more alternate mono mixes as bonus tracks.

Last edited by Legs : Jun 28, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:15 AM   #18
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
I'd hope that if "Revolver" makes it into a Volume 3 of the Capitol Albums, they'd use these mono mixes and not just folded-down versions.

Capitol would miss the point of these releases if they were going to use folded-down versions instead of the original mono mixes, as they were released in the U.S. back then. But apart from the mistakes on "The Capitol Albums volume 2" Capitol are using the original mastertapes with the original versions of the albums. Ofcourse many of the first releases were folded down in the first place, including "The Early Beatles". But Child of Nature already posted a list with what ended up on the Capitol albums.

Last edited by Legs : Jun 28, 2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:31 AM   #19
Legs
Sun King

Basicly I just burned the second disc of the Revolving bootleg, minus the stereo version of "Paperback Writer" which I thought was a bit useless, we have Past Masters 2 for that. The single mono version is indeed different.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:48 PM   #20
62hofner

Quote:
Basicly I just burned the second disc of the Revolving bootleg, minus the stereo version of "Paperback Writer" which I thought was a bit useless, we have Past Masters 2 for that. The single mono version is indeed different.
So you were able to download the tracks ok, then? Sorry I didn't get back sooner. My computer here at work has been going loony all day, and I haven't been able to get online, among other things.

I just won a brand-new box set of the UK EPs on eBay. Once I have it in-hand, I plan on burning myself a mono "Yesterday & Today" using those mono "Revolving CD2" tracks that ended up on "Y&T" (I'm Only Sleeping, And You Bird Can Sing, and Dr. Robert) and the tracks from off the EPs that ended up on "Y&T" (Yesterday, Act Naturally, Nowhere Man, and Drive My Car). I'd have to pick up the UK mono Singles box set in order to get a hold of "Day Tripper", and "We Can Work It Out". Only tracks I won't know what to do about are "If I Needed Someone", and "What Goes On". Not sure where to pick up mono versions of those song on CD (Is the UK "Rubber Soul" CD in mono?).

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 28, 2006 at 04:55 PM.