BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default BEATLES BACK TO WHERE THEY ONCE BELONGED

BEATLES BACK TO WHERE THEY ONCE BELONGED

Sunday April 29,2007

By Chris Goodman
The Daily Express

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/5697

THE BEATLES have been reunited for the release of a never-before-heard new single.

It has emerged that the legendary band, who are tipped to reinvent themselves when their music goes digital this summer, have not released their last Lennon-McCartney track.

Friends say this may now be the “one last great song” that Sir Paul McCartney has felt he has been waiting for since he resumed touring and working in 1989.

His iconic band are expected to cash in to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds in new marketing campaigns around the first release of Beatles digital downloads. They plan to reach their existing fans and a whole new generation of young music lovers. But they are set to surprise the world by offering the new song alongside the classics.

The plan is to have Ringo Starr drumming on the track and to lift a George Harrison performance from The Beatles archives to make sure that the Fab Four are included in the enterprise.

In a flurry of activity, McCartney will also release a new album, Memory Almost Full, in June to coincide with the 40th anniversary of The Beatles’ Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album.

The new song, entitled Now And Then, is based on fragments of a Lennon ballad given to Sir Paul McCartney by Lennon’s widow Yoko Ono in 1994 as part of their Anthology project.

The idea was to have a new Beatles single on each of the three Anthology CDs but McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr abandoned the final song.

“Paul had gone to Yoko to ask if she had any of John’s songs kicking around,” said a source close to the project.

“The deal was that Paul would induct John into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in return.

“Yoko’s a generous person in that respect, so she actually gave him three songs – Free As A Bird and Real Love were worked up and released, the last one wasn’t.”

According to ELO star Jeff Lynne, who produced the sessions, they merely worked on Now And Then for one afternoon.

“It was one day – one afternoon, really – messing with it,” he said in 1995. “The song had a chorus but is almost totally lacking in verses. We did the backing track, a rough go that we really didn’t finish.

“It was sort of a bluesy sort of ballad, I suppose, in A minor. It was a very sweet song; I liked it a lot, and I wished we could have finished it.”

McCartney has occasionally talked about wanting to complete Now And Then and perhaps referred to John’s original title for the song, I Don’t Want To Lose You.

“It didn’t have a very good title, it needed a bit of reworking,” he said last year. “It had a beautiful verse and it had John singing on it. But George didn’t want to do it.

“The best thing about it all was to work with John again. Hearing him in the headphones, it was like he was in the next room. It’s like an impossible dream.”

With Harrison dead, sources say McCartney has gone back to the drawing board and will finish the song the way he and John always worked, making it a proper Lennon-McCartney composition.

“Those who’ve heard it say it’s like a bit of a verse and a chorus, very skeletal,” said one.

“George just didn’t want to rework it because it’s not a matter of putting some vocals, or a bit of bass and drums to finish it. With this, you have to really build the song. The genius of The Beatles was predicated upon Lennon and McCartney. What was normal in the early days at least was that John would come in with a fragment and Paul would turn it into a hit – or vice versa.

“This is exactly the same situation and it’s the one opportunity left for a Lennon/Mc*Cartney co-write.

“Paul was asked in the early Nineties when he started touring again, why he was doing it. They said that he was rich, he didn’t need this. But Paul said that he felt he had one great song left in him. He’s always been the most uncannily intuitive person and it looks like that song has finally arrived.”
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:46 PM   #3
MAXWELL EDISON
Rocky Raccoon

I'm eager to listen to the track!!!!!
MAXWELL EDISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is John's demo. Unfortunately, the buzz on the recording is on the original tape. It's the third track on this CD...
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=peg1001
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Now And Then.mp3 (4.67 MB, 38 views)

Last edited by Jerry : Apr 30, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2007, 03:55 AM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

I will just copy this to all the threads about this song... it is nice to maybe get it. I had my doubts first because George rejected the release, so thought it was a bit sneeky, but now Jeff makes his comments I feel okay with it. Let's have it.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2007, 09:26 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Bless you, Jerry and FPSHOT! This is the kind of news that really does brighten up your day.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 01, 2007 at 09:28 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2007, 10:32 PM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

what did I do...it's not even news...

Old May 01, 2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Yeah, what did he do? I'm the one that uploaded the track!

Last edited by Jerry : May 01, 2007 at 10:49 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2007, 10:56 PM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I'm the one that uploaded the track!
.... again

Old May 02, 2007, 05:46 AM   #11
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

This is really great news! I'll be excited to see what they do with it!

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote