BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Default Ringo was at Hope for Haiti Telethon

It was nice to see him there with the other big names helping out. :)

Stars unite to help devastated Haiti
By Darryl Sterdan, QMI Agency
Last Updated: 22nd January 2010, 10:55pm

Q: How many celebrities does it take to hold a telethon for Haiti?

A: As many as George Clooney can corral.

As he did for benefits in the wake of 9/11 and the 2004 Asian tsunami, the actor worked his celebrity-magnet mojo on Friday night, reeling in a cavalcade of A-listers and chart-toppers to raise funds for victims of the Jan. 12 earthquake in the Caribbean.

Clooney's Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief aired on more than two dozen North American TV networks, and was reportedly the most widely distributed telethon in history thanks to web streaming and mobile technology.

The two-hour show — which opened with Alicia Keys singing Prelude to a Kiss alone at a grand piano — was a four-pronged affair, with segments from London, New York and Los Angeles, plus live reports from CNN's Anderson Cooper in Haiti.

Clooney, calling the disaster "a tragedy that reaches across all borders (and) all boundaries," introduced the L.A. portion, which featured performances by Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift and others. While they played, dozens of stars, including Nicole Kidman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mel Gibson, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, Ringo Starr, Jack Nicholson, Steven Spielberg and Clint Eastwood worked phones or appealed for donations.

Haitian-born singer Wyclef Jean helmed the New York segment, saying "my country's in great pain, and I know that you can help." The Roots served as house band for the East Coast performances, backing Shakira, Sting, Mary J. Blige and others.

The London section featured what was indisputably the musical highlight of the night — a collaboration between Bono, The Edge, Jay- Z and Rihanna on the new benefit single Stranded, which blends U2's soaring arena-rock jangle with a hip-hop groove and a rap from Jay-Z.

Other musical standouts:

- Shakira and The Roots' moving cover of The Pretenders' I'll Stand by You

- Christina Aguilera previewing a new ballad Lift Me Up

- Beyoncé singing Halo accompanied by Coldplay's Chris Martin on piano

- Sheryl Crow, Keith Urban and Kid Rock joining forces on Bill Withers' Lean on Me

-Madonna's uplifting version of Like a Prayer, featuring a youth choir

- Dave Matthews and Neil Young's plaintive rendition of Hank William's Alone and Forsaken

- Wyclef Jean closing the show with a hypnotic version of Rivers of Babylon that shifted into a celebratory jam apparently titled Earthquake

The performances were reportedly being made available on iTunes beginning Saturday for 99 cents a pop.

Canadian broadcasters held a one-hour Canada for Haiti telethon that preceded or followed the American show in various markets. Global's Cheryl Hickey, CTV's Ben Mulroney and CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos hosted the show, surrounded by an audience of fans and celebrities on a blue-lit soundstage decorated with scenes of devastation. Nelly Furtado, K’naan, Metric and The Tragically Hip delivered intimate performances between grim news footage and interviews with charity officials. Famous faces such as Rachel McAdams, Rick Mercer, Geddy Lee and Mike Holmes were on hand to urge viewers to donate (supposedly, someone ponied up $100,000 during the show). Other Canuck celebs — including Michael J. Fox, Celine Dion, William Shatner, Brent Butt, Chantal Kreviazuk, James Cameron, Justin Bieber, Alex Trebek, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov.-Gen. Michaëlle Jean — offered taped messages.

Donations can be made online at CanadaForHaiti.com, toll-free at 1-877-51-HAITI (42484) or by texting AID to 45678. The Canadian government will match up to $50 million in contributions.

Source: http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../12576641.html
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

jennaonpurpose: Ummmmm.. AND I had a full blown conversation with Ringo Starr tonite. My life is kinda complete now. :))
16 minutes ago from Echofon · Reply · View Tweet

Source: Jenna Elfman's Twitter

http://twitter.com/jennaonpurpose
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:57 PM   #3
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

More Tweets:

ItsFrancisPhan: you see, i am generous. i donated $10 and i talked to Ringo Starr :D
about 2 hours ago from web · Reply · View Tweet

juiciferandrea: i cant believe my mom told me to call to the telethon and i fucking didnt. i wanted to call to the london lines and talk to ringo starr FML
about 1 hour ago from web · Reply · View Tweet

MyChmclRmnc: My mom called in to donate and got Ringo Starr. I am jealous. I got Reese Witherspoon.
about 2 hours ago from web · Reply · View Tweet

MissLisa1970: To be singing "Let it Be" in front of Ringo Starr must be a surreal experience-i know it would be for me
about 2 hours ago from Power Twitter · Reply · View Tweet

goose: They couldn't throw Ringo Starr a bone here and let him sit at the kit for this song?
about 2 hours ago from Brizzly · Reply · View Tweet

katpatto: I wish Christie had gotten to talk to Ringo Starr. That would have made me happy to see her happy. She loves Ringo.
about 3 hours ago from web · Reply · View Tweet

katesquared: hahaha HOLY SHIT I just called and donated and got to talk to Ringo Starr. What are the odds, seriously? I can't stop giggling.

sodastereo20: what a good luck. Just talked to Ringo Starr while donating for Haitian friends. Nice feeling and thanks for the energy Ringo! Please donate

zoedeadvl: oh no i missed shakira :O when did she perform? anyway i feel like calling but i want ringo starr to answer. hes there right ?

ClsicRokr089: AAAAAHHHHH RINGO STARR IS ANSWERING THE PHONES!!! HOLY SHIT I WANNA DONATE NOW!!!
about 3 hours ago from txt · Reply · View Tweet

livelyleslie: watching #hopeforhaitinow and just saw John Krasinski, Robin Williams, and Ringo Starr. 3 of my favorite people. Please donate!

JKsDish1528: Oooh Jack Nicholson -my fave actor of all time! AND Ringo Starr -my fave Beatle!
about 3 hours ago from UberTwitter · Reply · View Tweet

flatonthefloor: Imagine getting to speak to Ringo Starr ... thatd be epic.
about 4 hours ago from web · Reply · View Tweet

katlovesmusic: Shakira singing Stand By You.interesting.I wanna call in to donate money, but I also wanna call so I can talk to Meg Ryan or Ringo Starr! :)

nessavgk: @katieschwartz Ringo Starr was answering phones on the Haiti telethon! That should bring 'em in fo sho!
about 4 hours ago from web · Reply · View Tweet · Show ConversationHide Conversation

xMonteCarlosx: @Sofiamuscatello Haha my brother was so excited cause he saw Ringo Starr!
about 4 hours ago from txt · Reply · View Tweet · Show ConversationHide Conversation

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : Jan 22, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:11 PM   #4
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

EyesToInfinity: OMG. Ringo Starr is taking calls on the Hope for Haiti telethon. I want to call repeatedly until he answers.
about 4 hours ago from txt · Reply · View Tweet

wfenza: RT @Harpo42: If I call Hope for Haiti, and I get Mel Gibson, can I ask to be transferred to Ringo Starr? I really don't want to speak to ...

elliottmunoz: Ringo Starr is answering phones for Hope For Haiti Now. A Beatle is answering phones. Awesome.
about 4 hours ago from Tweetie · Reply · View Tweet

LMHamill: Will they really put me through to Ringo Starr or Tim Robbins if I ring hopeforhaitinow#?
about 4 hours ago from Twitterrific · Reply · View Tweet

djremix: #hopeforhaiti god, someone would be lucky to have the phone call answered by Ringo Starr.
about 4 hours ago from foxytunes · Reply · View Tweet

hoopiest_frood: CAN YOU IMAGINE CALLING IN TO DONATE AND HAVING RINGO. STARR. ANSWER THE PHONE?

lockedaway: WAS THAT FUCKING RINGO STARR? I MIGHT NEED TO CALL IN.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 05:38 AM   #5
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonStarrFan View Post
jennaonpurpose: Ummmmm.. AND I had a full blown conversation with Ringo Starr tonite. My life is kinda complete now. :))
16 minutes ago from Echofon · Reply · View Tweet

Source: Jenna Elfman's Twitter...
Who's Jenna Elfman - is she famous?

Anyone got any pictures of Ringo while he was there? :)

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote