BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:50 AM   #41
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by See_How_They_Run
lol....he said recently that he hopes people DON'T forget that he was in the Beatles! I mean of all things for him to say....I'd sooner forget Wings than the Beatles!
Yeah, he's been showing a lot of insecurity these days.... that comment you just note, the whole switching songwriting credits to "McCartney/Lennon" a few years back.....

Come on, Paul. No need for those concerns.

I read on Whatgoeson.com last nght that Ray Davies wishes Paul would take more chances - either go totally stripped-down and raw with his music or go the other end of the spectrum and collaborate with Andrew Lloyd-Weber. The former-Kink makes sense!
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 02:31 PM   #42
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner

I read on Whatgoeson.com last nght that Ray Davies wishes Paul would take more chances - either go totally stripped-down and raw with his music or go the other end of the spectrum and collaborate with Andrew Lloyd-Weber. The former-Kink makes sense!
Oh no no no!! Please no Andrew Lloyd Weber. I can't stand anything that guy does! It reeks of cheesyness and just... blegh. Paul's good on his own(and probably doesn't need any advice from Mr Davies).

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 02:32 PM   #43
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperland67
I just wanted to pop on here and say that if you think Sgt. Pepper is crap, then I really can't see how you can call yourself a Beatles fan...sorry.
I am a huge Beatles fan; I am not a fanatic. In the last year, I became able to think critically about the Beatles music, and not just adore all of it. What I found was:
The Beatles are the greatest band in history. They were far better together than what any of them achieved as solo artists, except perhaps George Harrison (ATMP, specifially.)

Much of their catologue stands up very, very well today. The exception: Pepper. It sounded groovy in June of '67, I'm sure, but nearly forty years later it is laughably overproduced.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:05 PM   #44
VersusBatman
Sun King

I disagree. I love Pepper. That album cemented my love of the Beatles.

Of course I'm a fanatic so...

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:17 PM   #45
62hofner

I think "Pepper" is a great album. I mean, come on... it was the swingin' 60's at its pinnacle! Everyone was doing the psyhcedelic thing. If nothing else, "Pepper" lead the pack (as was typical with The Beatles).

If any rock and roll album deserves the hype it's always received, I'd say "Pepper" was a safe bet.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:24 PM   #46
VersusBatman
Sun King

I don't think it sounds dated at all. I have a deep appreciation for the 60's.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
Old Apr 17, 2006, 06:21 PM   #47
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Pepper dated? Yeah, some. But that is part of it's charm; a breakthrough in its time, but very much of its time. Very daring and ambitious for a pop band. They could have just cranked out hit singles. Plus great songs, great performances, great lyrics. Ambitious or radical albums by other bands are frequently referred to as 'their Sgt. Pepper'
So maybe it is dated but dated as a marking point for pop music history. Like the invention of electric guitars, or multi-track recording (thanks Les Paul), or Heartbreak Hotel, or the early Blues or Jazz..

Last edited by feelfab : Apr 17, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:30 AM   #48
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Back to the main idea posed at the beginning of this thread: Paul's solo career a failure (?)

Well, he is in the Guinness Book of Records for being the wealthiest singer/songwriter or for having the most number ones (band and solo) or something. . .to me, that does not make him a failure. In order to achieve this, he had to have a fairly good talent at creating catchy tunes that are both easy to listen to and meaningful. . .think Too Many People.

I don't think, also, that McCartney is being overly paranoid about wanting people not to forget him. Remember, when he was in Wings, many of his younger fans didn't even know he'd been a Beatle. They were amazed to find this out.
Since Lennon's death, there has been a bit of revisionist tampering with the Beatle legend where Lennon is being given more and more credit as the soul of the group. McCartney does get attacked, a lot, for being some cheesy, fluff writer, and Lennon's work is normally presented as hard, powerful, and meaningful.
My great fear is that in a hundred years time, when all original fans have gone, that Lennon will be the Beatles, and the others will be relegated to session musician status.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:45 AM   #49
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBeatle
My great fear is that in a hundred years time, when all original fans have gone, that Lennon will be the Beatles, and the others will be relegated to session musician status.
I think that's not only your great fear, but Paul's too...nice to see that somebody "gets it" and doesn't just blow off his concerns with a "he's being ridiculous"...even if I might think he worries about it a little TOO much, at least his fears have grounds. Welcome back, btw.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:55 AM   #50
VersusBatman
Sun King

No one wants to be a has-been.

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:14 PM   #51
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:

I don't think, also, that McCartney is being overly paranoid about wanting people not to forget him. Remember, when he was in Wings, many of his younger fans didn't even know he'd been a Beatle. They were amazed to find this out.
Since Lennon's death, there has been a bit of revisionist tampering with the Beatle legend where Lennon is being given more and more credit as the soul of the group. McCartney does get attacked, a lot, for being some cheesy, fluff writer, and Lennon's work is normally presented as hard, powerful, and meaningful.
I worry about that too. He should really be an incredibly respected musician, but people very often write him off. Too many people fall into the trap of comparing him to John, which just isn't cool. John was amazing, but so different from Paul. So the fact that Paul is a bit more of a showman doesn't make him worse than John, nor does the fact that Paul was quicker with a tune destined to be a hit, nor does the fact that Paul has had a relatively stable family life. None of this makes Paul inferior to John, it just makes him different. And too many people think that different is bad, and so Paul must suck.

I want to see more people giving Paul his due. Truly respecting him as the living legend that he is.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:33 PM   #52
62hofner

Funny thing is John was always troubled by how Paul's music was always more "memorable" than his... "Come on, George (Martin), you never hear anyone whistling, 'I Am The Walrus!'....".

Amazing what an untimely and tragic death can do! Had Paul been the one that fateful night in NYC, would HE be hailed AS The Beatles and would John be freaking out that HE would be forgotten someday?

When they're all gone, it'll up to us "youngsters" to keep the record straight on how great they ALL were.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:54 AM   #53
vincenthanna
Apple Scruff

In all kindness- i dont think Pauls solo career is a failure at all, in my opinion he is the only beatle to change his style of music along with the times, i also disagree with you about the 80s, i think its a great decade for paul, Tug Of War is one of his best solo albums, Here Today is the best tribute song ive ever heard, but i suppose everyones different
''...I learned very early in life that without a song the day would never end, without a song the road would never bend, without a song a man aint got a friend, without a song, so i'll keep singing a song...'' - Elvis Presley (1971) [Lifetime Achievement Award Speech]

''Before Elvis There Was Nothing'' - John Lennon

''I Doubt Very Much If The Beatles Would Have Even Happened If It Hadn't Been For Elvis'' - Paul McCartney
vincenthanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:35 AM   #54
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
I think that's not only your great fear, but Paul's too...nice to see that somebody "gets it" and doesn't just blow off his concerns with a "he's being ridiculous"...even if I might think he worries about it a little TOO much, at least his fears have grounds. Welcome back, btw.
Thanks. Been away too long. Let raising my sons get in the way. . .lol.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:38 AM   #55
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenthanna
In all kindness- i dont think Pauls solo career is a failure at all, in my opinion he is the only beatle to change his style of music along with the times, i also disagree with you about the 80s, i think its a great decade for paul, Tug Of War is one of his best solo albums, Here Today is the best tribute song ive ever heard, but i suppose everyones different
Oh, man, you are so dead on! Here Today is a great song and sends a knot into my throat every time I hear it. Almost like Maybe I'm Amazed does knowing that he wrote it for Linda. . .and, though, my marriage is only a decade plus two strong, I couldn't imagine (no Lennon pun intended) life without my wife.

I think PRESS to Play is a great album, Only Love Remains a beautiful tune, and it's got some real rockers besides the title track. Pretty Little Head, for example. Move Over Busker for another. "Mae West in a sweaty vest", what imagery!

Last edited by AmericanBeatle : Apr 20, 2006 at 03:42 AM.
AmericanBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:34 AM   #56
saziontherun
Mr. Moonlight

Yay, haven't met many here on board who like Pretty Little Head!
I think it's the best song on the album - but then again I like his "weird" stuff... Like Ou Est Le Soleil, for example...
saziontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:05 AM   #57
darkhorse
Sun King

Exclamation

Quote:
I think PRESS to Play is a great album, Only Love Remains a beautiful tune, and it's got some real rockers besides the title track. Pretty Little Head, for example. Move Over Busker for another. "Mae West in a sweaty vest", what imagery!
I so agree with the Tug Of War remarks... plus Flowers In The Dirt was another great one he released in the 80's. I'm in complete disagreement with the "Paul failure" thing but I won't argue against it because everyone has done so. And it's obvious that I enjoy most of his albums since I'm a fan and so.

What I do have to say, though, is that I cannot defend Press To Play. To me, it's an absolute piece of pretentious, annoying, bad-sounding, overproduced crap. I like about two songs in it, and I think, of all of his albums, it's the one that has aged the worst. Sorry, just needed to say it.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:09 AM   #58
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse
What I do have to say, though, is that I cannot defend Press To Play. To me, it's an absolute piece of pretentious, annoying, bad-sounding, overproduced crap. I like about two songs in it, and I think, of all of his albums, it's the one that has aged the worst. Sorry, just needed to say it.
Well, at least, you liked. . .two songs. . .he-he.

To each his own, my good man, to each his own. (read with overly pompous fake British accent) lol
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:09 AM   #59
darkhorse
Sun King

Cool

Quote:
To each his own, my good man, to each his own. (read with overly pompous fake British accent) lol
Good thing about freedom of speech.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote