BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Default Chaos and Creation - Looking Back

When I first bought this album I thought it was a decent if uneventful album. Some good songs but bland.
Listening now it honestly bores me to death. So one paced and nothing happening.
For his next album, Paul should just either rock out with a great band OR just pick up an acoustic guitar and sing.....and get Rick Rubin to work his magic.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:58 PM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Zim, with all due respect I disagree with what you've said above. I think Chaos & Creation in the Backyard has some excellent songs. "Friends to Go" is one of my personal favorites and "English Tea" has that Beatle influence - one could imagine 1967 Paul writing and performing this one.

Still, I find another perspective interesting on this. I don't find the songs bland or boring; still, if you want something completely different, check out Paul's Ecce Cor Meum.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 12, 2006 at 08:58 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:19 PM   #3
beatlelover45223

Thumbs up

I agree with you BB and the album has grown on me even more!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:00 AM   #4
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
Zim, with all due respect I disagree with what you've said above.
I dont mind. Lets get some debates going like there used to be around this place!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 02:42 AM   #5
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

When it first came out, I thought as a whole it was kinda bland. There are one or two maybe songs I liked..........and honestly, I havent listened to it for quite awhile
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:26 AM   #6
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I actually have exactly the opposite reaction. At first I wasn't too thrilled with it and found it a bit boring because there aren't really any rockers on it, but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it and I still think it's a very good album. It's a more mellow mood than many of Paul's albums, so it's not a party record, it's a hang out at home on a cold winter night sort of record. It's something I listen to on headphones before I go to sleep rather than something I listen to when driving around in my zippy red car.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:36 AM   #7
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I can understand having this cd in the car....would helping keeping the speed demons away ;)
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I really love it!
It took a few days to grow on me but then I went through a period of listening to it over and over again.
I think it is an album well worth a listen.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:15 AM   #9
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

I really do like this album. It was and still is a good effort on Paul's part.

The one problem that I have with the album is the pacing, sometimes I drift off while listening to it, if there were one or two more upbeat songs it would keep me a bit more attentive.

But I still really like this album.
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:00 AM   #10
Starry-eyed
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to Starry-eyed

I remember eagerly waiting for the release of this album, and I bought it on the day it came out. When I first played it, I was disappointed, and thought I'd never play it again, with the exception of a few songs. But I DID play it a lot and the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me - and now it's one of my favorites from Paul! There really aren't any songs that I skip over, and I enjoy them all.

Starry-eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:19 AM   #11
Legs
Sun King

I still think it's a great album, tho it had to grow on me.
I did feel that all the songs sounded the same, not to mention most of them are very short. I wouldn't mind some change in feel meaning a bit more uptempo, rock songs.

But this is a different kind of album, doesn't make it a weak one far from it, it's one of the best Paul has done. I love it more with each listen, even "A Certain Softness", a song I didn't like in the beginning.

"Follow Me" might be a weak spot, still a nice enough track, and the whole album overall is strong.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:12 AM   #12
darkhorse
Sun King

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
I actually have exactly the opposite reaction. At first I wasn't too thrilled with it and found it a bit boring because there aren't really any rockers on it, but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it and I still think it's a very good album.
I would LOVE to start a flaming debate now but sadly I (for the 327th time) agree with Rell in this one. It was a 'so-so' album when I first heard it, certainly better than Driving Rain, but nothing special. I actually grabbed it yesterday, and re-heard it and I thought it was even more amazing. The songs flow, the mood is introspective, the music is solid, the construction of the melodies is great.

On some of the latest albums it was sad to hear Paul, the master of melodies, singing songs that almost had no melody ("Used to Be Bad" and "Really Love You" on Flaming Pie; "She's Given Up Talking", "Spinning on an Axis", "Back in the Sunshine Again", "Rinse the Raindrops" on Driving Rain). Not only does he recover the melodies in this one, but he also manages to stick sets of lyrics that are much more than just 'interesting'.

This album is also great because Paul, for the first time in years, opens up his heart and discusses matters that are important for him. The thing is, we must not forget that this album is made by a 63 year-old guy. It shouldn't be strange that, from time to time, he needs to be a little more laid-back with the music, although he can still rock hard (the Run Devil Run album, just eight years ago, showed that - that, and the fact that he still sings the heaviest Beatles anthems in his concerts)...

I don't know, I feel it's a clean, honest record. I even like "At the Mercy", which I hated in the very beginning.

Last edited by darkhorse : Oct 13, 2006 at 10:12 AM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 05:44 PM   #13
LauraBC
Apple Scruff

I think it's his best album, ever. I don't have all his albums, but I have a pretty good amount... don't get me wrong, I loved albums like Band on the Run, Tug of War, Flowers in the Dirt, even Off the Ground, but I'm definitely liking the older Paul albums such as Flaming Pie, Driving Rain and now Chaos. I'd always wanted him to get more introspective when in his songwriting. I believe he declared that boring in the 70s

Sometimes, you release an album and the record company just about ignores it, and so many people don't even know it's out. And I'm not about to jump up and down shouting, "Hey folks, look at me! I'm cool and groovy!" That's not what George Harrison is all about. ~ GH

Last edited by LauraBC : Oct 14, 2006 at 05:45 PM.
LauraBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:48 PM   #14
feelfab
Dr. Robert

His stuff always grows on me over time. Some grab me right off---Tug of War, aside from a couple of songs, BOTR, etc. But mostly, it takes a few listens to get into it. Chaos grows...
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 09:14 PM   #15
beatlelover45223

I agree with most of the new assessments of Chaos, this one grew on me, except English Tea, that one has never grabbed me(don't hate me, I know there are lot of fans of this song out there), it is a little mellower throughout than Paul's albums we are used to hearing but a good one to relax too, I don't "love" the album but really like it.

~ Nancy ~

Last edited by beatlelover45223 : Oct 15, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:05 AM   #16
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I think that for me, this album instantly grabbed me which is a different reaction than I usually have to Paul's albums. The only 2 that ever grabbed me instantly were this and Flaming Pie. I think it's one of his finest albums, and it is second only in my mind to "Ram". The writing, instrumentation, and mellow feel of it is wonderful and just very Paul. Even after being a year old, it still thrills me to hear this album. It's fabulous and deserves every last bit of attention that it has got.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:30 AM   #17
Miss Wendy Winters
Wild Honey Pie

I love this album, it's very moody. It's something that seems different for Paul, but there are definitely songs that feel quite familiar..if that makes any sense. I'm not going to lie, it had been a few months since I listened to it all the way through, but a few nights ago I watched the DVD about the making of the album and I have fallen inlove with it all over again! "Jenny Wren" and "Friends to Go" aahh..so good.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:20 PM   #18
LauraBC
Apple Scruff

I love those songs too. I can listen to "Vanity Fair" over and over again... always makes me think who was the inspiration for it... the way it's composed is brilliant. Did you know he thought of George when writing "Friends to Go"? He said he wrote it as a George song.

Sometimes, you release an album and the record company just about ignores it, and so many people don't even know it's out. And I'm not about to jump up and down shouting, "Hey folks, look at me! I'm cool and groovy!" That's not what George Harrison is all about. ~ GH
LauraBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:51 PM   #19
Miss Wendy Winters
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBC
Did you know he thought of George when writing "Friends to Go"? He said he wrote it as a George song.
Yea! He said in the DVD something like, he realized half way through that he was doing a George Harrison song. hehe I thought that was very sweet. I definitely can feel George in that one.