BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Sep 27, 2005, 06:22 PM   #1
shizukuchan
Apple Scruff

Default Echoes

Many musicians would consider the Beatles as an influence. I know there's a lot of Beatles influence out there, but I'm wondering where exactly it is.

Offhand, I can think of some music from Japanese animation that probably owes a lot to some Beatles songs. From American rock, there's the Paul Young song from the 80's, "Every Time You Go Away", which I don't believe would have been possible without John Lennon's "Woman" (I know, it's not a Beatles song, but I'm grasping at straws a little here).

But I'm surprised at how it's hard to think of more examples. Has anyone else heard echoes of Beatles music?

The honeybee knows the way.

Everything is funny.
Everything is true.
Funny, but true.
shizukuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Rurouni_Idoru
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to Rurouni_Idoru

You know that song by Jet? Can't remember what it's called, I wanna say "A Fool of Everyone," but that seems so obvious.... Well, yeah, every time I hear it on the radio, I get excited because I think it's a Beatles song, but then I realize it's just the pretty song by Jet and that the pop radio stations are never going to wise up and why am I even getting my hopes up? I digress, though, that song, to me, sounds like, the lovechild of Yesterday, Hey Jude, and Sexy Sadie. Not that it's bad, mind, but it throws me. (While I'm thinking of it, one day, I plan to call into one of those infernal "music only from the last five minutes" stations under the guise of asking for some new and annoying song, and then when they put me on the air to ask what I want to hear, demand "Strawberry Fields Forever." Just 'cause.)

"The Beatles did emo before emo existed. I mean, 'Yesterday.' All it needs is a verse where Paul McCartney cuts himself and it could be crowned King of All Emoness."
Rurouni_Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Uncle Albert
Fool On The Hill

I think that "Beetlebum" by Blur is a modern(?) version of "Don't let me down"...even the title reminds me to the Beatles!

And what about "Why don't you get a job" by Offspring...it's just another "Obladi Oblada"...
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:20 PM   #4
wednesdaymorning
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Idoru
You know that song by Jet? Can't remember what it's called, I wanna say "A Fool of Everyone," but that seems so obvious.... Well, yeah, every time I hear it on the radio, I get excited because I think it's a Beatles song, but then I realize it's just the pretty song by Jet and that the pop radio stations are never going to wise up and why am I even getting my hopes up?
It's bloody because they use the intro to "Golden Slumbers" at the beginning. By the way, it's called, "Look What You've Done." They were named after the Paul McCartney song "Jet." So that explains their influence. I had to respond to this because I've screamed out "IT'S THE BEATLES!" too many times when that song comes up.

Last edited by wednesdaymorning : Sep 28, 2005 at 05:20 PM.
wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:16 PM   #5
shizukuchan
Apple Scruff

For years, I thought "Because" by The Dave Clark Five was a Beatles song. I couldn't find it on any Beatles album, so I thought it was a rarity or something. The voices sounded so much like the Beatles' voice harmony in A Hard Day's Night. DC5's "Because" reached its peak at #3 on the charts in July 1964, about the same time as A Hard Day's Night, so I can't tell whose sound was influencing whose.

The honeybee knows the way.

Everything is funny.
Everything is true.
Funny, but true.
shizukuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 07:49 AM   #6
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizukuchan
For years, I thought "Because" by The Dave Clark Five was a Beatles song. I couldn't find it on any Beatles album, so I thought it was a rarity or something. The voices sounded so much like the Beatles' voice harmony in A Hard Day's Night. DC5's "Because" reached its peak at #3 on the charts in July 1964, about the same time as A Hard Day's Night, so I can't tell whose sound was influencing whose.
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say 'Because' by DC 5 sounds like Beatles because Dave Clark & his merrymakers were part of the then Mersey Beat sound!
I'm not too hip on today's "happening music" so I can't point to any particular songs that echo Beatles, but I've heard songs over the past few years that sound like they could have been influenced by the lads. Something In The Way by Nirvana kinda sounds 'echoie' to me.
I would also certainly consider some of the early music by the Byrds was more than echoes of the Beatles, it was down-right influenced & influential to Beatles (as well as Bob Dylan). If I can target a certain song in the future that points to Beatles (collectively or individually) I will get back!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 01:28 PM   #7
Rurouni_Idoru
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to Rurouni_Idoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesdaymorning
It's bloody because they use the intro to "Golden Slumbers" at the beginning.
THAT'S IT! THAT'S THE MISSING PIECE TO THE PUZZLE! Alright, I got it now.

Also, I just realized how much Why Don't You get a Job sounds like Ob La Di Ob La Da. I knew there was a reason I liked that song so much!

"The Beatles did emo before emo existed. I mean, 'Yesterday.' All it needs is a verse where Paul McCartney cuts himself and it could be crowned King of All Emoness."
Rurouni_Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote