BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:09 PM   #1
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

Default THE WORLD'S GREATEST BEATLES ARTIST

http://www.upstagemagazine.com/artic...efrom=mainpage

THE WORLD'S GREATEST BEATLES ARTIST
by Gary Wien

Sometimes it really pays to ignore your teacher's advice. Just ask Shannon, who was told she'd never amount to anything unless she stopped drawing the Beatles. Years later, she is known as The World's Greatest Beatles Artist and has been commissioned to create over 100 pieces for an upcoming Beatles themed hotel opening in Liverpool in 2007.

The owners of The Cavern Club in Liverpool searched around the world to find the artist to decorate their new "Hard Days Night Hotel". They first searched for artists in Liverpool and then the UK. When they didn't find what they wanted they looked at artists from surrounding countries. When they still didn't see what they were looking for they began looking in the United States. Their search finally ended with Shannon, an artist who grew up in Lakewood and now lives in Howell, New Jersey.

Bill Heckle (owner of The Cavern Club in Liverpool), who engineered the idea for a Beatles themed hotel, is credited for finding Shannon. He explained, "After seeing Shannon's artwork portraying the Fab Four, there is no one person that comes close to her talent, her capabilities, and her knowledge of the Beatles for this colossal job. She stands alone."

Shannon will have the task of creating one centerpiece painting for each of the 110 bedrooms, along with many in the common areas outside the rooms. The bedrooms will tell the story of The Beatles important events, from birth to Beatles, from Beatlemania to present day, in sepia tone, black and white, and vivid color.

"Honestly, it's not a dream job because whoever even dreams something like this could happen" said Shannon. "It's not a dream job, but it is the kind of job that you can say fits like a glove. I know what they want. I know what they need."

Shannon's reputation as a Beatles artist started at a Beatlefest show in Secaucus, NJ. At the time she was more interested in playing music than painting. She had been in several bands in the tri-state area and played alongside such musicians as Tommy Price (from Billy Idol's band), Edie Brickell, and Roger Glover. Shannon went to Beatlesfest to compete in a Battle of the Bands. As luck would have it she also brought along her first piece, which was of John Lennon.

"I forgot all about the painting," she recalled. "I went off with my friends and someone came up to me and said you've got to go to the auditorium they've got your painting on stage. It ended up I got first place for it and that was where it all took off."

Shannon was encouraged to come back to Beatlesfest as a vendor and she did. She started selling airbrushed Beatles t-shirts making as many as sixty shirts each day. Once her artwork began taking off she stopped making the t-shirts and concentrated on doing canvases.

Her career really started moving when she headed out to Hollywood. She had done a little work for Sylvester Stallone who suggested she make the move. Stallone thought she would find her niche out there and he was right. About two years later, she was contacted about doing the "Hard Days Night Hotel" project.

Her reputation kept growing to the point where she was invited to meet with the Lord Mayor at the Town Hall in Liverpool about eight years ago. It was there that she entered the history books as The World's Greatest Beatles Artist.

"I lived in LA for ten years," said Shannon. "Everything was happening in Liverpool and New York anyway. It seemed I was always catching a flight over there or to New York. At the time I never really thought anything about it because afterwards I'd go home to LA and I hate to say this about Jersey but there was no way in the world I thought I'd ever move back here. But my sister set it up and we went out looking for homes and I found this place in Howell and just said this is it!

"The cool thing about the New Jersey thing - especially if you're a Beatles fan - is that all of these paintings are being created right here in Howell."

She started working on the pieces in May and has been working on them 16 hours a day since then. There's not a lot of time for anything else.

"September 2007 is when the hotel is supposed to open," said Shannon. "Of course, I'm hoping it's the end of 2007. I'm trying to get every inch of time I can possibly get!"

Shannon's portfolio is full of pieces other than the Beatles, yet you have to think it makes her smile every time she thinks back to that old art teacher while adding another Beatles piece to the portfolio. After all, drawing Beatles wasn't so bad for a career after all. And it's always nice to prove your teachers wrong.

For more information on Shannon and her artwork visit www.theshannongallery.com
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 05:43 PM   #2
jtal909
Sun King

Wow, I grew up in Lakewood also but don't know her.
I wonder how old she is?
I wonder who that teacher was?

I met her at Beatlefest a few years ago and she lived in Bayville at the time not far from here and bought a Marilyn Monroe mug from her.

Last edited by jtal909 : Sep 25, 2006 at 05:43 PM.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 05:44 PM   #3
gberman
Day Tripper

I've seen Shannon at every NY area Beatlefest she's attended. Yes, her work is impressive, but I gotta say, she is a bit creepy. Never smiles, rarely talks to anyone, but stares at you with a sort of Addams Family glare. Gotta hand it to her, though, she's a good self-promoter. Too bad she doesn't seem to have a personality as colorful as her airbrush portraits.
gberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:52 AM   #4
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberman
I've seen Shannon at every NY area Beatlefest she's attended. Yes, her work is impressive, but I gotta say, she is a bit creepy. Never smiles, rarely talks to anyone, but stares at you with a sort of Addams Family glare. Gotta hand it to her, though, she's a good self-promoter. Too bad she doesn't seem to have a personality as colorful as her airbrush portraits.
i agree...she IS creepy. and not to detract from the discussion of her artistic merits, but does anyone else think she's...a he?
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 05:42 AM   #5
gberman
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant karla
i agree...she IS creepy. and not to detract from the discussion of her artistic merits, but does anyone else think she's...a he?
Yes, I've heard that many times, and from several different people at the 'Fest, that she used to be a he. Could be true.

But she's still creepy.

Last edited by gberman : Sep 27, 2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:22 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Kind of reminds you of John's Aunt Mimi who told her young nephew
he'd never make a living playing guitar. Looks like the dear lady was
wrong about that one.

"I used to get mad at my school/the teachers who taught me weren't cool..." Paul McCartney, 1967

Shannon is a gifted artist and I've seen her at several Beatle conventions.

I love her George pictures most of all - she has a wonderful style and she
brings fresh animus into her Beatle work!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Sep 25, 2006 at 08:24 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Starry-eyed
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to Starry-eyed

I love Shannon's work. I see her at Beatlefest, and I bought 4 of her prints, which are framed and hanging in my music room: The Seven Faces of Ringo, Seven Faces of Paul, Seven Faces of John, and Seven Faces of George. I'd like to get some other ones next time I go.

Starry-eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Shannon is an absolutely incredible artist, no denying that whatsoever. I took a couple of pics of her work at Beatleweek this year...

Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:57 AM   #11
taxman
Taxman

Send a message via ICQ to taxman Send a message via AIM to taxman Send a message via Yahoo to taxman Send a message via Skype™ to taxman

Last edited by taxman : Sep 26, 2006 at 12:06 PM.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:04 AM   #12
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Her stuff isn't to my taste at all. No denying she's good at what she does, but it's just not my thing. And anybody who refers to themselves as "So and so, THE ARTIST" puts me off anyway, so pretentious.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 11:44 AM   #13
China Girl
Fool On The Hill

I remember Shannon. She a he? LOL I went to school with her. Don't know her that well anymore. We were in gym class together. She was very athletic, but definately a she. God when someone makes good in this world, it seems such a shame to bring them down.
Where ever you are Shannon...good for you!
China Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:51 PM   #14
gberman
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Girl
I remember Shannon. She a he? LOL I went to school with her. Don't know her that well anymore. We were in gym class together. She was very athletic, but definately a she.
I don't believe you, but whatever.

And no one is trying to bring her down because she's made good in the world. Hell, I really don't care what gender she is, or was.

But anyone who refers to themself by just one name is, by my definition, pretentious. Her work is good, sometimes great, but those bug eyes of hers and the way she glares at people really gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Last edited by gberman : Oct 11, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:19 AM   #15
Suzanne
Fool On The Hill

[And anybody who refers to themselves as "So and so, THE ARTIST" puts me off anyway, so pretentious.]

I agree. Very pretentious. I like some of her work, but much of it looks mass-produced if you know what I mean.

For me, Klaus Voormann does the best Beatles images I've ever seen. He captures their spirits as well as their features...

Last edited by Suzanne : Oct 12, 2006 at 10:15 AM.
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:38 PM   #16
afiendishthingy
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via AIM to afiendishthingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne
For me, Klaus Voormann does the best Beatles images I've ever seen. He captures their spirits as well as their features...
I agree. I love Klaus's art. Maybe because he knew them, but I think there's like...a warmth to his art, which I just don't get from Shannon.

Suzanne, I looked at your site, it's really fantastic.
afiendishthingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2006, 01:08 PM   #17
jackboots&kilt
Fool On The Hill

Default SHANNON:THE WORLD'S GREATEST BEATLES ARTIST

I'd like to start by saying Happy Birthday, John.

I am a writer for a well-known airline magazine and had the pleasure to meet Shannon at the Liverpool festival after the Hard Day's Night Hotel press conference. I must admit to feeling a bit of a fool, because I thought her displayed works were those of photographer. I was absolutely "taken back" when I found these were paintings. I found her art as attractive as the creator. I also saw her smiling, speaking to, and signing autographs for so many people - for hours. She shared "so called secrets" of her art with so many and was very helpful and patient to up and coming artists who pounded her with questions on technique and guidance.

When I finally got the chance to talk with her, although she seemed exhausted from the day and had to sit for a chat, she was lovely. She talked with such enthusiasm and was very high on her fans and her own ventures with art and music. She actually seemed more down to earth than many artists (or people in general) I have met; a very grounded woman.

I have read some fine remarks about Shannon in many different columns here at BeatleLinks. A few have not been so kind, but are very few and are from the same handful of people over and over anyway. Even The Beatles, themselves, were criticized for all their greatness.

I just want to say…Thank you, Shannon. This is a great honor for you and I am sure I speak from many hearts when I say, you make us proud in The United States, very proud. We are behind you 100%. We know this is an awesomely large task to inherit, but inherit it you have…for whomever they are speaking of or about (be it kindness or not)…no one inherited this task but you. My hat is off to you, The World's Greatest Beatles Artist…a fantastic, talented, and beautiful woman.

JB&K
jackboots&kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:49 AM   #18
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I like a lot of her art. She's very talented to say the least. I dont know, I guess I dont think about her personality that much. Maybe cuz i dont see her half as much as I see her assistants...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:19 AM   #19
veryclean
Fool On The Hill

Default World's Greatest Beatles Artist

Found these photos of Shannon and her painitings on the internet. I think they speak for themselves. Absolutely stunning! The last one was a bit large so I inserted the link. Does anyone have any info on the new Beatle-Hotel? Thanks!

Link to Shannon's Cynthia: http://www.sierraintegrative.com/ima...onscynthia.jpg
veryclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:30 AM   #20
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney

Where are paintings she did of Paul and George?

Last edited by NaomiMcCartney : Oct 17, 2006 at 07:32 AM.
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote