BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Should Ringo Starr say sorry to Liverpool ahead of his June gig?

Should Ringo Starr say sorry to Liverpool ahead of his June gig?

by Paddy Shennan, Liverpool Echo
March 4, 2011

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-28277175/

(A foliage sculpture of the Beatles at Liverpool's South Parkway transport interchange saw Ringo Starr's head chopped off by vandals)

Should Ringo Starr apologise to Liverpool?
Yes: 65.3%
No: 34.7%

RINGO Starr lost his head soon after his last visit to Liverpool . . . an angry local chopped it off outside Liverpool South Parkway station (a terrible irony bearing in mind the former Beatle’s connection with Thomas The Tank Engine).

Fortunately for the formerly fab but now fallen one, it was only a lifesize topiary figure of his famous Beatle bonce which was removed.

Ringo went from hero to zero in many people’s eyes just a week after playing a starring role in his home city’s European Capital of Culture launch celebrations.

He went on Jonathan Ross’s BBC1 chat show and gave a flippant answer to a question which invited him to say nice things about the place where he was born and raised.

After Ross asked him what he missed most about Liverpool, Ringo laughed, prompting the host to say: “I didn’t know that question would get a laugh! Are there any things you miss about not being in Liverpool any more?”

“No,” deadpanned Ringo.

During the Capital of Culture opening weekend, Ringo sang: “Liverpool, I left you – but I never let you down.”

Many ECHO readers who disagreed were quick to castigate him in our letters pages: “For me, 30 seconds of flippancy have ruined any image I had of him as a Scouse icon,” wrote Dan Ray from Liverpool.

“I am disgusted by his whole attitude and feel he should not receive any plaudits for his appearance as it is quite clear he feels nothing for this great city,” said CP of Mossley Hill.

While Sadie Maguire, from Bootle, wrote: “On behalf of the people of Liverpool, I'd like to give Ringo his famous peace sign back, the other way around!”

All had seemed well as thousands gathered outside St George’s Hall to watch him headline the People’s Opening festivities on Friday, January 11, 2008 – and 24 hours later, when he headlined Liverpool: The Musical at the ECHO arena.
“Poor Ringo!” says Jayne Casey, who was one of the artistic directors for the grand opening. “He cracked a joke and it was the wrong joke. But I believe he did a massive service for the city – I knew he would attract the world’s media, and he did.”

She adds “I just think everyone should get real and understand he’s human. He’s an old guy who just cracked a joke which was unfortunately in bad taste. But it was a set up question. If I was in his management team, I’d be very angry with Jonathan Ross.

“The city needs to forgive him . . . He didn’t kill anyone. He just said the wrong thing.”

Peter Hooton, singer with The Farm, who played at the ECHO arena show, says: “I don’t think he’s got anything to apologise for. I listened to him being interviewed on Steve Wright’s Radio 2 show on the same day as the Jonathan Ross show and he was fulsome in his praise when talking about Liverpool. He had nothing but good to say.

“And he was great backstage at the ECHO arena. He came into everyone’s dressing room and was hugging everyone.”

He adds: “I don’t think he was very diplomatic, but I didn’t find what he said about not missing Liverpool offensive. I think it was much ado about nothing.”

Comedian Keith Carter – whose alter ego, scally Nige, famously impressed Capital of Culture judges by telling them: “We’ve got culture coming out of our a***s” – saw the reaction of Liverpool people to Ringo’s chat show appearance at one of his own gigs.

He explains: “I mentioned Ringo and the crowd just went mad and started booing. But think about it, they were tough times when he was growing up in the Dingle. What would you rather do if you had the choice – spend your younger days being worshipped by millions and the rest of your life tanning your Scouse a**e in LA, or live in the Dingle forever?’

“I think the booing was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. If Ringo walked in everyone would probably have been going ‘Look! It’s a Beatle!’ and having their picture taken with him.”

He adds: “In The Beatles’ early interviews, they were irreverent and cheeky – and Ringo still seems to be in that mindset. He was being flippant and probably didn’t think anyone was going to mind. Also, he doesn’t know the new Liverpool – he was here when it was falling apart.”

Bill Heckle, a director of Cavern City Tours, admits Ringo missed a great opportunity to further endear himself to Liverpool people on Ross’s show, but says: “There is no need for him to apologise. Where is our sense of humour?”

And he stresses that Ringo’s pre-fame life in Liverpool was hardly full of happy memories: “He was born into poverty, abandoned by his father when he was a baby, was very ill as a child and left school at 14 or 15 before starting a succession of dead end jobs. Then he won the lottery.

“So when he’s asked ‘Do you miss Liverpool?’ in his memories they were very, very harsh days. He’s since lived in Monaco and Beverly Hills and wakes up with the sun on his back – would you miss Liverpool in the same situation?”
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Ringo has only ever been back in Liverpool a few times since 1964. It is obvious that he hates Liverpool, but he should apologise to the city and its people, because they helped make him a very rich man.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:03 AM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

People as in journalists who do not try to understand in this case Liverpool humor are just a pity.

I do not see what Ringo has to say sorry for.

The home is where the heart is.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:44 AM   #4
servi
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston View Post
he hates Liverpool, but he should apologise to the city and its people, because they helped make him a very rich man.
Really ???
Personally I think the Beatles have done more for Liverpool than vice versa: look at the millions of tourists visiting the city just because they are Beatles fans. So who is making who rich ?? Don't forget Ringo moved from Liverpool almost 50 years ago. He is more an inhabitant of Monte Carlo, LA or London than he is of Liverpool.
From Ringo's song Liverpool 8: "Livepool I left you, said goodbye to Madryn Street I always followed my heart, and I never missed a beat Destiny was calling, I just couldn’t stick around Liverpool I left you, but I never let you down"
servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:13 AM   #5
hibgal
Sun King

I'm sick and tired of people being so sensitive that you're expected to apologize for breathing these days. So Ringo doesn't love the place where he was born? Big deal! At least he's honest. Would he be a better person if he gave an insincere apology - and lied?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:26 AM   #6
valerieinthegallery
Rocky Raccoon

I don't see why on earth he should apologise. He was born and brought up in such a rough area of Liverpool it would be odd if he felt any nostalgia for the city. In any case, the big money didn't start rolling in until after the Beatles had relocated to London - Liverpool didn't make Ringo or the others rich, it just happened to be the place where they were born and discovered.

Also, as has been pointed out, Liverpool has made huge amounts of money out of its Beatles connection - yet the city is only interested in commemorating John and Paul. Another reason why Ringo has no reason to feel guilty!
valerieinthegallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:52 AM   #7
michelle11
Fool On The Hill

as an ambassador for the city when they won capital of culture ringo had just plugged his new single to thousands out celebrating the citys achievment,he at the least should have been polite and said the `right thing` on tv.
If I think your fat and ugly I dont tell you you are! none of us do!!
Truth is what we say and what we really think are very rarely the same things,if I dont care about offending you I will say what I goddam please you fat ugly b***!
Now if I said that in real life I expect some reaction from you surely,ringo must have too??
michelle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:13 AM   #8
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by servi View Post
Really ???
Personally I think the Beatles have done more for Liverpool than vice versa: look at the millions of tourists visiting the city just because they are Beatles fans. So who is making who rich ?? Don't forget Ringo moved from Liverpool almost 50 years ago. He is more an inhabitant of Monte Carlo, LA or London than he is of Liverpool.
From Ringo's song Liverpool 8: "Livepool I left you, said goodbye to Madryn Street I always followed my heart, and I never missed a beat Destiny was calling, I just couldn’t stick around Liverpool I left you, but I never let you down"
Yes, I understand what you are saying. But "Liverpool I left you, but I never let you down", is wrong. He has let Liverpool down, with his comments about the city, and his lack of support. Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney do much, much more for Liverpool than Ringo has ever done.

I think Ringo will be the least remembered of all the Beatles in Liverpool.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:25 AM   #9
LetThereBeMusic
Bulldog

^ I doubt Ringo cares a bit. I really do.

No. He shouldn't have to apologize for telling them the truth. He didn't lie, I appreciate his honest answer more.

I think people are more hurt that a Beatle doesn't love their city, where they're so proud to say the Beatles came from.

But c'mon... Dingle?

Last edited by LetThereBeMusic : Mar 15, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
LetThereBeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:37 AM   #10
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeMusic View Post
I think people are more hurt that a Beatle doesn't love their city, where they're so proud to say the Beatles came from.
Except he never said he doesn't love Liverpool or called it a nasty place or anything. All he said is he personally doesn't miss it. So? Like you said, Dingle. Who in his right mind would miss Dingle of the 50s and 60s?

And if people are so surefire upset about it then don't go see him instead of ranting about it in the press. It's that simple.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:19 AM   #11
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
I'm sick and tired of people being so sensitive that you're expected to apologize for breathing these days. So Ringo doesn't love the place where he was born? Big deal! At least he's honest. Would he be a better person if he gave an insincere apology - and lied?
Hibgal, you are SO correct. We are politically correcting ourselves to death because everyone is so damn sensitive about everything these days. People of Earth, get a life! Seems these days one needs to state a pre-disclosure before speaking just in case there's an idiot or two that gets offended or simply doesn't understand we basically speak in generalities rather than specifics.

1) Remember the "mosque debate?" If you said something about terrorists, someone always has to argue.. "well, not all Muslims are terrorists!:Really, No shit? You mean all Muslim aren't terrorists?! Sigh!

2) Remember when Paul was asked about LSD and he gave the honest answer and people were telling him "oh, it's terrible that you admit to taking it." In other words, he should have lied.

Now, to Ringo. He never said he didn't love Liverpool, he said he didn't miss it. He should NOT apologize. Many years ago I left my hometown of Chicago. I have very little that I miss from there other than my friends, family and sports teams. I love Chicago but it is a past part of my life. Do I owe Chicagoans an apology for that????

No apologies necessary.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:36 PM   #12
Hari's Chick

I think if people are looking to Ringo for sensitivity, they're looking in the wrong place. Everyone remember the John Davidson interview? Funny as HELL, but sensitive? No!

It's just not his way...
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:54 PM   #13
michelle11
Fool On The Hill

Still think he was riding the publicity of liverpool to sell his single in this country ,big opening night of coc2008 wall to wall tv coverage "I scratch your back,you scratch mine" y`know we have an exbeatle ( a drummer) on board ,and have you heard his new single? good business for both the city and ringo , still think that he let us and himself down.

But Paul is a different kettle altogether as is Pete best neither have put a foot wrong and are both loved in liverpool.
Dont matter how loaded you may be ringo,Money really cant buy you love!!

Last edited by michelle11 : Mar 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
michelle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:50 PM   #14
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

I think Ringo doesn't need to apologize. He didn't actually put Liverpool and the people living there down, he just said he didn't miss it.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

I'm certainly guilty at times of being lazy.
kayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:39 PM   #15
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Well said, Kay. I do think he could have handled it a little more diplomatically because, like it or not, he will ALWAYS be linked to Liverpool as will all the Beatles. He had to know going in that strongly worded statements were bound to step on some toes. Perhaps he could have said, "I'm a native Liverpudlian, but I am happy to be living where I am now." True, he didn't actually put down the good people of Liverpool, but it is understandable how they might take umbrage in what Ringo said and the sentiment therein. (Not everybody could get out via drums, guitar and amps as stated in the song). If you can do better, that is always wonderful.

Although I have never been to the Dingle, from Ringo's accounts and those of others, Ringo had a hardscrabble life there and in Anthology describes traumatic experiences, such as people losing eyes and other vital body parts in street fights. It couldn't have been a walk in Sefton Park to have to go to Stepple (sp-phonetic sp) Street just to bathe, as Ringo says in "The Other Side of Liverpool."

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Mar 21, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:31 AM   #16
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Ringo to apologise to the people of Liverpool

http://entertainment.msn.co.nz/article.aspx?id=8227084

Ringo Starr is preparing to make peace with fans in his native Liverpool after declaring he missed "nothing" about the English city — he's returning to his hometown for a special show in June.

The former Beatles star angered his loyal following in 2008 when he announced during a TV interview that he was content with living in Los Angeles, after moving from his birthplace many years ago.

He was slammed by political leaders and tourism chiefs over the remarks - but Starr is heading back to Liverpool for his first concert since making the comments, according to Britain's Daily Express.

"Obviously Ringo is going to be asked about it before he performs there and he's keen to set the record straight," a source told the publication.

"It was a joke that got taken out of context and Ringo is going to make it clear publicly that Liverpool remains very special to him.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:40 PM   #17
hibgal
Sun King

Another celeb knuckles under to public pressure. It's pathetic.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:45 PM   #18
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Another celeb knuckles under to public pressure. It's pathetic.
Yes, absolutely, offend a group of people (deliberately, or not) and don't ever appologise to them... especially when you're about to play a paying gig there... (sigh)

... if a well belated "out of context" pretense can by considered an appology...

Last edited by ABCKO : Mar 22, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:40 PM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

It is understandable that Ringo would not miss the gray, drab city he knew or the rough neighborhood of his youth. No doubt Ringo will remain always on the other side of Liverpool.

While anybody's progress and moving up and into a better place is always well and good, it is still prudent to couch such sentiments in terms that won't offend others. Not everybody had the chance to leave and there are those who are happy where they are and feel their home is being denigrated. I think ABCKO makes good points above.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Mar 23, 2011 at 08:41 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Badgirl66
Banned

NO simple Answer
Badgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote