BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Default Quotes on Ringo

"Before Ringo, drum stars were measured by their soloing ability and virtuosity. Ringo's popularity brought forth a new paradigm in how the public saw drummers. We started to see the drummer as an equal participant in the compositional aspect. One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song." - Drummer Steve Smith

"Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do." - Drummer Phil Collins

"He's got tremendous feel. He always helped us to hit the right tempo for a song, and gave it that support-that rock-solid back-beat-that made the recording of all The Beatles' songs that much easier." - George Martin

Kenny Arnoff -- "I consider him one of the greatest innovators of rock drumming and believe that he has been one of the greatest influences on rock drumming today... Ringo has influenced drummers more than they will ever realize or admit. Ringo laid down the fundamental rock beat that drummers are playing today and they probably don't even realize it. (Modern Drummer,Oct. 1987) . . Ringo always approached the song more like a songwriter than a drummer. He always served the music." (Modern Drummer, Dec. 1987)

Don Was -- "As a drummer, he influenced three generations of rock drummers. It's not very flashy playing, but it's very musical. Instead of just counting the bars, he's playing the song, and he puts fills in unusual places that are directed by the vocal." (The St. Louis Post Dispatch, 1992)

George Martin -- "Ringo always got and still gets a unique sound out of his drums, as sound as distinctive as his voice. ... Ringo gets a looser deeper sound out of his drums that is unique. ...This detailed attention to the tone of his drums is one of the reasons for Ringo's brilliance. Another is that although Ringo does not keep time with a metronome accuracy, he has unrivaled feel for a song. If his timing fluctuates, it invariably does so in the right place at the right time, keep the right atmosphere going on the track and give it a rock solid foundation. This held true for every single Beatles number Richie played ... Ringo also was a great tom tom player." ( Summer of Love, 1994)

Mike Finkelstein -- "If you have ever been in a band where you had to recreate Beatle songs, you would have realized that Ringo Starr was no slouch. Those drum parts were very tricky and subtle. He did have a special ability to create interesting rhythmic structures within the music. This gave the Beatles a unique sound without loosing that distinctive drive in rock and roll. ... Ringo moved smoothly from verse to chorus without loosing the groove by subtly changing a texture in the rhythm. Ringo is an important drummer to study well." (Teach Yourself Rock Drumming, 1979)

Bob Cianci -- "He must have done something right. People today still look for people who play like Ringo. If you don't believe me, just check the musical ads. On top of all this, he certainly inspired countless millions of teenagers worldwide to learn drums. There's no doubt it, Ringo's a very important rock drummer. ... What Ringo does on the most basic of terms is make the music feel good. He refers to his playing as being fraught with silly fills due to his self-admitted lack of technique, but he says it proudly. ... Sometimes chops do not a real drummer make." (Great Rock Drummers of the 60s, 1989)

Peter Blake -- "Ringo is one of the most important drummers of the 20th century. While he hasn't got any technique to speak of, he realizes how important It is for a song to feel good. His feel is absolutely tremendous. He got some great sounds on the Beatles records. It wasn't all production and microphones, a lot of it was down to the way he tuned them. ... He has tremendous basic ability. Obviously there were people playing in a straight-forward manner before him, but he had a definite feel and he changed pop drumming around. He changed the sound from hat of the high-pitched jazz drummers. I think he's tremendous." (Speaking Words of Wisdom)

Mark Lewisohn -- "It is true that on only a handful of occasions during all of the several hundred session tapes and thousands of recording hours can Ringo be heard to have made a mistake or wavered in his beat. His work was remarkably consistent and excellent, from 1962 right through 1970." ( The Beatles Recording Sessions, 1988)

Tim Riley -- "Ringo wanted to serve the songs rather than show off. As a song writer's drummer, Ringo was the type of musician who could follow instructions as he completed the overall sound. His commitment to the music was bigger than his ego." ( Tell Me Why, 1988)

Kenny Aronoff -- "He consistently came up with new ideas that always seemed perfect for the song, but it wasn't just a matter of him picking a basic beat for a song, because lots of drummers could do that. Ringo definitely had the right kind of personality and creative ideas for The Beatles music. You will rarely find a Beatles song without something noticeable that Ringo played or didn't play." (Modern Drummer magazine, Oct. 1987)

Al Kooper -- "Sgt. Pepper was the album that changed drumming more than anything else. Before that album, drum fills in rock and roll were pretty rudimentary, all much the same, and this record had what I call space fills where they would leave a tremendous amount of air. It was most appealing to me musically and the sound of the drums got much better. What I had to figure out now was what am I going to do to get drums to sound like that." (Summer of Love by George Martin, 1994)

Martin Torgoff -- "If I could think of a single passage in which Ringo's quintessential style as a drummer is most identifiable, it could well be something as, say, the drumming behind George's guitar solo in Paul's "Let It Be" after the organ trails off. There, in simple 4-4 time, Ringo comes in with a trademark thump of his base drum, clear tattering snare, and his insistent smashing of the high hat, unvarying, unyielding, yet distinctively Ringo, and you can't help but smile not for its banality but because it is so perfectly adequate and because one can readily envision Ringo behind his kit as he plays, his beringed fingers clutching his sticks, swaying beatifically from side to side as he gets on with his work, blinking those astonishingly saturnine blue eyes." (The Compleat Beatles, 1985)

Dino Danelli, drummer for The Rascals -- "I liked him. He had great style. I never saw anyone play the way he did. I liked his simplicity. (1984 interview for The Big Beat by Max Weinberg)

George Martin -- "I did quickly realize that Ringo was an excellent drummer for what was required. He's not a technical drummer. Men like Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa would run rings around him, but he is a good solid rock drummer with a steady beat, and he knows how to get the right sound out of his drums. Above all, he does have an individual sound. You can tell Ringo's drums from anyone else's and that character was a definite asset to the Beatles' early recordings." (All You Need Is Ears, 1979)

Mike McCartney -- "There were quite a few drummers around Liverpool and I used to go home and tell Paul about Ringo. I often saw him play with Rory Storm. ...With Rory he was a very inventive drummer. He goes around the drums like crazy. He doesn't just hit them -- he invents sounds." (1983 interview for The Beatles: A Celebration by Geoffrey Guilliano, 1992)

Max Weinberg -- "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life. The impact and memory of that band on Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me. I can still see Ringo in the back moving that beat with his whole body, his right hand swinging off his sock cymbal while his left hand pounds the snare. He was fantastic, but I think what got to me the most was his smile. I knew he was having the time of his life." (The Big Beat, 1984)

Lenny Kaye -- "He was always meant to be utilitarian, a drummer to provide feisty beat. He did this directly with wit imagination and the famous Ringo personality. And his Spartan Ludwig kit showed his ability to cut economically to the heart of the rhythm." (interview for The Compleat Beatles, 1985)

Martin Torgoff -- "As a drummer, he was a natural, purely intuitive, remarkably tasteful, spirited, but always basic, a proponent of less is more school of minimal drumming. ...He had an uncanny understanding of John's rhythm and Paul's base line. Time and again, the Beatles rode his backbeat to glory. Precisely because he never overstated a beat, or over accented a phrase (unless it was appropriate) he managed to get more mileage out of his licks than most drummers could ever dream of. The results were extraordinary." (The Compleat Beatles, 1985)

Don Was -- "Ringo's drums are one of the greatest things you can have on a record."

Dave Ballinger -- "Technically brilliant drummers do not necessary make good rock drummers. ...You don't have to be a technical Buddy Rich type drummer, you just need to be inventive. He (Ringo) did things I would never have thought of doing." (interview for Speaking Words of Wisdom)

Chris Whitten -- " I think I understand why he (Paul) loves Ringo, now after working with him. Paul loves 50s Rock 'n' Roll and Ringo is a great 50s Rock 'n' Roll drummer." (Rhythm magazine, 1990)

Hal Howland -- "It is fascinating to trace the drummer's stylistic development from rock-steady club veteran to studio innovator ... Ringo's command of an exhaustive list of arrangements and new originals is matched only by his versitility. (review for Modern Drummer magazine, June 1995)
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Yoko Ono talks drums with Modern Drummer
8 December 2009

MD: What are your thoughts on Ringo as a drummer?
Yoko: Ringo is the most underrated drummer in the industry! His drumming is like life—it gives you the most solid beat. When he drummed on my Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band album, I was totally amazed that he had no difficulty in following the very complex improvisational vocals I did – again, no overdubs. I think his incredible drumming was what made so many great Beatles songs possible. We thank you, Ringo!

Source: http://imaginepeace.com/news/archives/9052
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
dogman
Nowhere Man

i have posted these two before, however some of you may not of seen them, or maybe you are new here.

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/drumpage.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382

i get so peeved off about how ringo's drumming is constantly being critiqued. no one ever does the same with the other three of the fab four.
george and john were not particularly great guitarists[not that they needed to be] but no one decides to examine what they were like, and then write about how they weren't flashy, or they were 'adequate, or whatever.

imo ringo has a huge inferiority complex when it comes to his drumming, thats what i've picked up in a number of interviews over the years.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Dr. Robert

Whenever I read comments about Ringo's drumming by his peers or whatever, it always sounds like they are making excuses for him for some reason, and he doesn't need any excuses. Just my take on the tone on the quotes here and the others I've read over the years. As for the other 3, I have to respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree with the previous post. Paul is an incredible bass player among other things, John was very capable and creative, and George was an outstanding guitar player--both creatively and technique-wise.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:55 AM   #5
ShowTunes
Wild Honey Pie

I have to agree completely--I get the same feeling about people making excuses--and I also would like to point out that he, Paul, and George consistently rank quite high in their respective musician categories whenever anyone does a survey of 100 best whatevers. (John doesn't, but then, he didn't need to, did he?)

I mean, do these nay-sayers even try to envision Beatles songs with some so-called "good" power drummer blasting along in the background? It doesn't work. Period. And do they ever think that maybe if the others had been dissatisfied with his drumming work, they'd've sacked him? That they weren't just keeping him because they liked his personality or that they somehow knew that he magically completed them regardless of whether he could drum?

It's a shame we still have to argue for him when the three biggest voices in the debate already weighed in a long, long time ago.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:00 AM   #6
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

But I still find people call Ringo average or the luckiest man alive.

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : Dec 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonStarrFan View Post
But I still find people call Ringo average or the luckiest man alive.
That's never going to change.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:11 PM   #8
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman gives nice props to Ringo Starr

Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman used his column on the group's website to give some unabashed praise to fellow drummer Ringo Starr. Here are his comments, which Gorman graciously allowed us to reprint (and thanks to Allen Stearns for telling us about this):

Hey Steve,

Here’s my question- I’ve recently been playing The Beatles: Rock Band and I’m realizing more now just how different Ringo was as a drummer.

His playing is pretty simple and very connected to the songs, yet less intuitive than a lot of subsequent rock drummers.

I can’t really put my finger on why, but learning the tunes is actually kinda difficult.

Any thoughts?

Spencer
San Francisco, CA

Long time fan. Saw you guys with Joan Jett and Aerosmith in Miami in 1990, I think.

Spencer

First things first – I don’t remember ever having played a show in Miami with Aerosmith and Joan Jett.

We certainly did some shows with Aerosmith in 1990, but none were anywhere near Miami.

And, as much as we do in fact love rock n’ roll, we never were party to anyone putting another dime in any jukebox, baby, either.

So, with that cleared up, let’s move on:

Ringo Starr’s drumming is infallible, untouchable, and he is quite simply the greatest drummer in the history of rock n roll music.

So, there’s that.

With this in mind, it would stand to reason that you might struggle to learn his parts, even on so rudimentary a level as Rock Band provides. I will resist the urge to write an endless screed about why Ringo’s drumming is beyond reproach and instead offer a quick “Q and A” to examine your specific points.

Q) Was Ringo actually “different as a drummer”?

A) Was Magic Johnson “different as a point guard“? Was Frank Lloyd Wright “different as an architect”? You bet your ass. As much as people try to disparage Ringo’s playing, no one ever seems to have a suggestion as to what drummer would have made those recordings better. And that’s because there was not, is not, and never will be, a drummer more perfectly suited for the Beatles.

Q) Was his playing “pretty simple and connected to the songs”?

A) If by “pretty simple”, you mean “pretty perfect” and if by “connected to the songs”, you mean, “integral to the execution of these rock n’ roll masterpieces”, then the answer is a resounding YES.

Q) Was Ringo “less intuitive” than a lot of subsequent rock drummers?

A) Absolutely not. Few if any drummers in rock history have been more intuitive. Ringo understood exactly what every song needed to have, and bear in mind he was working with not one, but three songwriters.

Q) Any thoughts?

A) Yes. Don’t argue with me about this. I know what I know.

I love John Bonham, Charlie Watts, Phil Rudd, and the nutjob from Wilco (and about a million other drummers) as much as anyone could. They are all perfect for their bands. They are all irreplaceable. But Ringo was in THE BEATLES.

Check the scoreboard.

Ringo wins.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatl...d6-Black-Crowe s-Steve-Gorman-has-high-praise-for-Ringo-Starr?cid=examiner-email
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Dr. Robert

That may be the best, coolest, and most accurate synopsis/opinion of Ringo's talent I've ever seen.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Maia 66
Sun King

Ringo was just what the Beatles ordered. He had/has impeccable taste, great intuition, and he doesn't overtake the songs. He has this negative rep with the general public, which probably started with the bitter Pete Best fans and then just spilled over. People have this tendency to continue promoting mythology, it's human nature... and I think that's what happened with Ringo.

However, John did once say, in response to someone calling Ringo the best drummer in Britain, "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:54 AM   #11
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
However, John did once say, in response to someone calling Ringo the best drummer in Britain, "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"
Yeah, but in one of John's last interview in 1980 Playboy he also praised Ringo's talents. Haters seem to ignore that.

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : Jan 03, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:44 AM   #12
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Friday, January 29, 2010
Don Was Offers Great Ringo Starr Quote IN RS

Don Was, formerly of Was (Not Was) has this to say about Ringo Starr's drumming for the Beatles: "He puts the fills in the same place a guitarist would. He's not sitting there counting. He's playing to the vocal."

Source: http://www.rocknycliveandrecorded.co...arr-quote.html
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:08 PM   #13
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

--"He had a genial expansive manner when dealing with people -- an all-embracing good natured disposition to the world at large, but he wasn't one to see his confidences betrayed. There was a pluckiness about him, a no-nonsense way of dealing with things as they came along. Ringo was a small guy with a big heart." -- photographer Robert Freeman, author of The Beatles: A Private View(1990)

--"When Ringo lost his early inferiority complex within the Beatles, his natural humor emerged, usually in the form of witty one-liners, which even John Lennon found hard to follow. Unlike the others, he remained even-tempered and placid throughout the stormiest Beatlemania years. He avoided quarrels, demanded very little in terms of VIP attention, and there was never a trace of pretension or precariousness in his makeup." -- Tony Barrow in Bealtes Monthly(Feb. 1988)

--"He's so kind. He's polite and nice to everyone. ... Richie can be stuborn. You can't fabricate charm, and Richie has charm. He's so loving and giving and generous, always thinking about others." -- Barbara Bach, Ringo's wife (in an interview during the mid-1980s).

--'As always, Ringo remains the most human. Perhaps from the one from whom the least was expected the most has been given. -- Ray Hardy, writing a review of Ringo Starr: Straight Man or Joker in Good Day Sunshine(1993)

--"Both in public and, it appears, privately Ringo's unassuming good-natured personality provided a crucial balance between John's razor sharp wit, Paul's stagy coyness, and George's somber posturing." -- Ted Greenwald in The Beatles Companion(1992).

--"About the most remarkable thing Ringo has is this unique and very funny way of looking at the world. He is absolute master of the one-liner. ... Ringo's quirky vision comes out particularly in his use of language." -- George Martin, producer of the Beatles' albums and author of Summer of Love(1994)

--"Of all the Beatles, it was fitting that Ringo would be the one to remain amicable terms with the others in the aftermath of the group's breakup, when the polar friction between John and Paul was strongest. He was, after all, always the innocent, the quiet one, the bloke who was always just doing his job and the least inclined toward politics in the group." -- Martin Torgoff in The Compleat Beatles(1985).

--"Ringo was the home body, always less publicly visible than the others. To the world he was shy, soft, puerile, down-to-earth, funny, friendly, cute, lovable, vulnerable. Appropriately, the music his friends created for him, in addition to being perfectly tailored for his range and style embodied the above characteristics as well as reflected his tastes." -- Martin Torgoff in The Compleat Beatles(1985).

--"He remained placidly even tempered. By nature he was undemanding, kind and friendly ... Ringo was not a sad person. His face was molded into a deceptively unhappy expression. Until he made the muscles move into a deliberate smile." -- Tony Barrow in P.S. We Love You(1982).

--"I think he was very important to the Beatles. I began by thinking he was just a passenger, but there was something about him that kept them on the rails. He did have a tremendous wisdom and stability of character which quite often was very important. . . . John said that in an argument all he had to do was really get Ringo on his side and that it would be all right." -- Philip Norman in Beatlefan magazine(1981).

--"Ringo Starr was the humblest, most down-to-earth of the Beatles. Like the lovable runt of a litter, he seemed to stir a mother's instinct in female fans. ...Ringo changed the least, always the group's anchor, he remained the simplest and straight-forward of the four. -- Nicholas Scaffner, author of The Boys From Liverpool(1980).

--"The songs that were subsequently written for him always seemed to emphasize the affection which the others felt for him. With a Little Help From My Friends may have been composed with deliberate irony, but anyway it was the quintessential Ringo song. John and Paul had got Ringo down to a tee. He had such a winning affable personality and so many friends that his own failings were irrelevant since he never needed to do anything on his own." -- Jeremy Pascall, author of The Beatles Story(1974)

--"He's completely open and friendly, the sweetest of them all really. . He's not self-centered in any way. . . ...Ringo is a much stronger personality than he has appeared." -- Hunter Davies, author of The Beatles(1968)

--"He never takes credit for things. I think he often underestimates himself. He does forget what good ideas he has had, because he thinks he's not creative. He says it's for the others to have the good ideas, but he's good at many things. He's a good painter. I think films will be very good for him, so I hope they come off. He's great at all things. He's a lovely dancer." -- Maureen Starkey, wife of Richard Starkey, quoted in The Beatles by Hunter Davies (1968).

--"Ringo. He's cute. It's the only way to describe him." -- Mary "Aunt Mimi" Smith, John Lennon's aunt, said in 1964.(quoted in The Beatles in New Zealand(1993))

--"He has become an excellent Beatle and a devoted friend. He is warm and dry witted, a good drummer and I like him enormously. He is a very uncomplicated, very nice young man." -- Brian Epstein in A Cellar Full of Noise(1964)

--"We were all supposed to be something different. Paul was the face, I was the smart one, George with all his mysticism, was the spirit, and Ringo was the heart. I certainly don't have any hard feelings about him, never had a reason to." -- John Lennon

--"Ringo will always be my friend. -- George Harrison, Rolling Stone magazine (Oct. 1987)

--"We asked Ringo to go and talk to him (Paul) because ... Ringo had not taken sides, or anything like that , and he had been straight about it, and we thought Ringo would be able to talk fairly to Paul. I mean if Ringo agreed that it was unfair, then it was unfair." -- John Lennon in Lennon Remembers.

--"Ringo was simply the best drummer in Liverpool. Ringo also had native wit. He didn't know when he was being funny. Ringo Talked in titles. We had to follow him around with a notebook and pencil. You never know what he would say next." -- Paul McCartney, Off The Record (1988)

--"Ringo listened very carefully to what was happening on any song in progress. ... He was critical, in the same way that I could be critical of what the others were doing and not afraid to voice that criticism. He would suddenly say to John, "John, that's crap," whereupon John would look up over his glasses and murmur, "Oh really," and change it. Either that, or he'd make a rude remark back and then change whatever it was the Ringo had picked up on. Paul also took a great deal of notice of what Ringo said. He was a very effective guide, musically speaking; he had a good ear. Although he might not have always had that much to do, you could never forget that he was a major part of the group." -- George Martin, Summer of Love (1994)

--"The tradition that Ringo always had a song to sing on an album was nothing to do with the others being kind to him. ... Ringo occupied a special place in the hearts of many Beatles fans. The most common adjectives you heard about him were "cute and cuddly." Having him sing something on every album was extremely good marketing -- simple as that." -- George Martin, Summer of Love (1994)

--"It is inescapable that Ringo was the catalyst for the others. He certainly completed the jigsaw and The Beatles, with Ringo, became a magnet for the great camera artists of the world, a target for the jaded, lately hostile eyes of people who had hardly known that popular music existed." -- Brian Epstein, Cellar Full of Noise.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:30 PM   #14
Dr. Robert

What Brian Epstein said 47 years ago was perfect then and still holds true. If I had to choose one sentence/quote about Ringo, that would probably be it. Very prescient as well because they hadn't even hit their stride at the time he penned that.

ps great post LSF

Last edited by 834 : Feb 01, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:55 PM   #15
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Interview Outtakes: Black Crowes Drummer Steve Gorman on Ringo Starr, Working with Warren Zevon and Avoiding Grunge's PitfallsBy Annie Zaleski, Thu., Aug. 26 2010 @ 12:45PM Categories: Story Outtakes

On Ringo Starr and how Ringo influenced his playing as a drummer:
RFT: I know that Ringo Starr is a big influence on you as a drummer, which I find interesting because while he is revered by many, he hasn't always been labeled critically as a great drummer. So I'm curious to know how he influenced you as a player.

People still argue about [basketball players] Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, you know what I mean? And if that's an argument you're going to actively [pursue] - anyone who says Wilt Chamberlain, I don't even listen to them. I don't want to know anything else about their life. It's like saying Ringo or Neil Peart - that doesn't even make sense to me. Of course Neil Peart is an amazing drummer, as is John Bonham, as is Charlie Watts, as is Glenn Kotche from Wilco - that guy is insane! I would honestly say even more so than Bonham and Led Zeppelin, I can't imagine another drummer playing in The Beatles. The sound and feel of that band, people just take them for granted as far as how great of a band they were, because they're the biggest band ever.

You go back and listen to their live tapes from '62 and '63, when they're just playing six hours a night, they are swinging like crazy! Ringo is such a swinging drummer and he's very much a groove drummer. Everyone talks about Ringo because he's the most famous drummer ever and they miss the point on him. The other guy that no one ever talks about is John Densmore from the Doors, who's just a monster part of what the Doors were. The Ringo thing, you just can't hear anybody else playing those tunes. You just can't imagine any of that stuff making more sense. I hear "The Ballad of John and Yoko" and it just makes my skin crawl to hear Paul McCartney play that drum kit the way he plays it. It's hard for me to even know where to start because there's hardly been anybody more musically in tune with what the song needed than Ringo Starr. Who knows how it must have been like to be in the Beatles, but the fact is he was the one in The Beatles. You look at the scoreboard and they won the game, you know what I mean?

Definitely. You hear certain drummers, and you know by the sound of their playing, exactly who it is behind the kit.

Totally. The best example is on the "Sgt. Pepper" reprise at the end of the album, when it counts in and he just plays that little beat for eight measures, that is my favorite drum pass of all time. I can listen to that on a loop for an hour. It just feels perfect to me - that's what everything is supposed to feel like, right there. And every drummer in the world can play it, but nobody can make it feel like that. Drumming is about something feels.

Source: http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/ato...010.php?page=2
"One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song." -Steve Smith
"He (Pete Best) was doing OK, but if you compare it to Ringo, he just did not have that swing. He just did not have that rock. He just didn't." -Klaus Voormann

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : Aug 26, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 03:04 PM   #16
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Published: Oct. 6, 2010
Updated: 2:43 p.m.
Colin Hay returns to the Coach House
By GEORGE A. PAUL
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

In 2003 and again in 2008, Hay was a member of Ringo Starr’s ever-changing All Starr Band. What was that experience like?

“There’s no downside to playing with Ringo. It’s a great way to spend a summer -- playing with somebody who was in the Beatles. The whole thing is all about Ringo and having a look into that massive amazing legacy. I was excited to be asked.”

Source: http://www.ocregister.com/entertainm...d-weekday.html
"One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song." -Steve Smith
"He (Pete Best) was doing OK, but if you compare it to Ringo, he just did not have that swing. He just did not have that rock. He just didn't." -Klaus Voormann