BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1
zipp

Default Love Me Do with harmonica.

Emerick (in his book Here There And Everywhere) and Lewisohn (in Chronicles) seem to say that the harmonica was used for the first time in Love Me Do on 4th September 62 and it was George Martin who suggested it on that day.
But on the Anthology 1 CD, I can hear the 6th June 62 version where there's already harmonica!
Can anybody explain this anomaly?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:16 PM   #2
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I think the story goes that the boys had already written several songs for their first single, but George Martin wanted to record Love Me Do because it has the harmonica part. In Cynthia's book Cyn asks John why they recorded that particular song, they had better ones in her opinion, and the reason was the harmonica.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:59 PM   #3
zipp

Well no BLK.The story is that George Martin suggested the harmonica in the studio and the Beatles accepted his idea and worked hard on their song so it was released instead of 'How do you do it?'.
No one disputes this story but the problem I'm bringing up are the dates that don't correspond.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 02:36 AM   #4
Serena

well according to paul, the harmonica was suggested by george martin on september 4th as a replacement for a guitar phase. (maybe paul has his dates mixed up?)

however, george martin states that it was the harmonica that got him interested in the song in the first place. this was from the audition on june 6th.

i believe they did work harder on love me do to get it released instead of how do you do it, but the harmonica part was already included.

what needed perfection was the drumming, which made it a suitable choice for a single.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:34 AM   #5
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
Well no BLK.The story is that George Martin suggested the harmonica in the studio and the Beatles accepted his idea and worked hard on their song so it was released instead of 'How do you do it?'.
No one disputes this story but the problem I'm bringing up are the dates that don't correspond.
It was Please Please Me that replaced How Do You Do It. John playing harmonica dates back to Delbert McClinton who is said to have influenced John to play harmonica. He was playing harmonica on Bruce Channel's hit 'Hey Baby'.

- Biggles
Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:05 PM   #6
zipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLittleKid View Post
It was Please Please Me that replaced How Do You Do It.'.
No,it wasn't.
Please Please Me was accepted as a possible hit from the word go.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
zipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
well according to paul, the harmonica was suggested by george martin on september 4th as a replacement for a guitar phase. (maybe paul has his dates mixed up?)
Yeah.I'm now convinced that Paul is mixed up about the dates.

But Emerick has no excuse since he wasn't even there on the 6th of June.So he's lying!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:16 AM   #8
PepperlandFrog
Banned

There has to be more to it than that. That distinctive harmonica phrase really makes that song happen.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:15 AM   #9
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
No,it wasn't.
Please Please Me was accepted as a possible hit from the word go.
Yes, it was.
Martin suggested How Do You Do It for their second single.

- Biggles
Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:28 PM   #10
zipp

Quote:
Yes, it was.
Martin suggested How Do You Do It for their second single.
No, BLK.
Martin wanted How Do You Do It for their first single instead of Love Me Do.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Serena

right.

george martin wanted them to release how do you do it from the start, but since the beatles rejected it they worked harder to get their own material released.

please please me was not wanted right away, george martin had to rearrange it and bring up the tempo before he felt it was ready to be released.

Last edited by Serena : Aug 18, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:44 PM   #12
Legs
Sun King

Serena's right. Please Please Me had to be redone before George Martin felt it would be a number one song.

As for McCartney and Emmerick. It's hard to know for sure wheter they are right about things or not. There are so many slip ups in Emmerick's books that I am having hard times believing him even if he tells the truth. And McCartney's brain is not almost full, it's overloaded. He mixes everything up, he doesn't even remember he had played the full version of "Sgt. Pepper's" before.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:25 AM   #13
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Darn you're right after all.

- Biggles

Last edited by BadLittleKid : Aug 19, 2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
John playing harmonica dates back to Delbert McClinton who is said to have influenced John to play harmonica. He was playing harmonica on Bruce Channel's hit 'Hey Baby'.
Yes, because in John Lennon's Juke Box Delbert says that due to that song being on that cool portable juke box John once owned. But I've read also, in Pete Shotton's book and Julia Baird's (among others) that John's initial influence came from his Uncle George and a bus conductor - so Delbert can't lay claim to being the single influence, which I suppose is true for many artists... John also knew how to play accordian

Last edited by Dr. Dreamer : Aug 19, 2007 at 09:40 AM.
Dr. Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:23 AM   #15
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Darn you're right after all.
Wait a minute, why they didn't rehearse "How Do You Do It?" with Pete Best then? They did Love Me Do, Besame Mucho, PS I Love You and Ask Me Why but for what?

- Biggles
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:27 AM   #16
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dreamer View Post
Yes, because in John Lennon's Juke Box Delbert says that due to that song being on that cool portable juke box John once owned. But I've read also, in Pete Shotton's book and Julia Baird's (among others) that John's initial influence came from his Uncle George and a bus conductor - so Delbert can't lay claim to being the single influence, which I suppose is true for many artists... John also knew how to play accordian
I didn't say he was the only influence, but he himself says that "When I die I will be remembered as the man who taught John to play harmonica". The song "Hey Baby" shows the harmonica trend that might have seemed hot that time in producer's eyes.

- Biggles
Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:52 PM   #17
zipp

Quote:
Wait a minute, why they didn't rehearse "How Do You Do It?" with Pete Best then? They did Love Me Do, Besame Mucho, PS I Love You and Ask Me Why but for what?
How could they rehearse a song they'd never even heard of?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 01:07 PM   #18
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
I didn't say he was the only influence, but he himself says that "When I die I will be remembered as the man who taught John to play harmonica". The song "Hey Baby" shows the harmonica trend that might have seemed hot that time in producer's eyes.
Exactly...I knew that you probably realized Delbert wasn't John's only influence as it's almost impossible to have just one influence in artistic pursuits of any kind. And-yup- like we've all agreed the harmonica was a definite trend at that point and why the Beatles used it so much in their early songs but then you've got 'Rocky Racoon' which I think is neat they use it on the "White Album". Now I'm just speculating here but maybe they were feeling nostalgic and perhpas that's why they used it?

Last edited by Dr. Dreamer : Aug 19, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
Dr. Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:13 AM   #19
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
How could they rehearse a song they'd never even heard of?
I hope they heard the song before they recorded it. Are you sure Martin was not teaching them anything because he had let them keep their minds but one week afterwards he ordered a remake of Love Me Do? He could have ordered a remake of How Do You Do It as well because the version on the anthology is hardly fit to have been on a release.

To the original topic it may be that Martin invented the use of harmonica for Please Please Me and not Love Me Do.

- Biggles

Last edited by BadLittleKid : Aug 20, 2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:19 AM   #20
zipp

Quote:
I hope they heard the song before they recorded it. Are you sure Martin was not teaching them anything because he had let them keep their minds but one week afterwards he ordered a remake of Love Me Do? He could have ordered a remake of How Do You Do It as well because the version on the anthology is hardly fit to have been on a release.

To the original topic it may be that Martin invented the use of harmonica for Please Please Me and not Love Me Do.
I think you're a bit confused BLK!
Pete Best went only once to Abbey Road in June 1962.That's when they did the four songs you mentioned.Two of them are on Anthology.One of them is Love Me Do with harmonica.George Martin didn't suggest the harmonica because it was already there!
He sent the song How DoYou Do It for the Beatles to rehearse, but Pete Best was no longer there.They recorded the song in September with Ringo but the Beatles convinced Martin to use Love Me Do which they'd re-recorded.
He later suggested that they made Please Please Me faster.And he was quite right because when they came back to record it at a different session it became their second UK single and was number one on practically all the charts including national radio and TV.
Hope that helps...