BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs up Julian Lennon posted this today!

Can we talk about how amazing this is?

Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
hibgal
Sun King

That's the cast from Happy Days, isn't it? Must've been taken while Julian visited with John and May in California. Did Julian write any comment of his own or just post the picture?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
SF4-EVER

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy! :thumbsup1:

My novella, Lyon's Legacy, about a scientist traveling back to the TwenCen to visit her fictional rock star ancestor, is now available as an e-book from Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords and in paper from CreateSpace and Amazon.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I saw Julian posted that today. It made me smile. That's probably the first season of Happy Days because Fonzie wore that white jacket only in the very early episodes. So that would put that right around 1974 or '73 when they were filming. May Pang probably took that photo.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

What I really love about that photo is that it looks like Lennon is an iconic figure from the 1960's and '70's that's time traveled back to the 1950's before anyone knew him or his band.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Yeah, what a great shot. I love how no matter how many pictures we've seen of the band, something new shows up.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I love this and I agree with Colonel about John looking like a 1960s/70s time traveler. I think it's a sweet pic. Julian is adorable.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:07 PM   #8
wallrus59
Bulldog

great photo..thanks for sharing scruffie.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Hey, Scruff. You're the resident Beatles fashion authority. Have you ever seen that belt buckle before in color? Is that a turquoise design?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:13 AM   #10
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

Julian was one of the Last Facebook poster since July 10th
Uncle_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

it's a great photo
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:00 AM   #12
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Post Oh well...

Thank's for posting this picture, Scruffie

Well, although I like this period of John's life, this picture won't be my favourite. All faces show big smile, except John who obviously doesn't look very happy, but puffed up. And Julian (once more) has got a somewhat sad expression on his face. So it's an interesting shot to me, but nothing more

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:09 AM   #13
Maia 66
Sun King

Interesting thing about this photo is that it was taken before an episode of Happy Days had even aired! Which means John was one of the first to meet The Fonz. (As I recall, Fonzie wasn't that cool in the first few episodes, though... it wasn't until he got his leather jacket that he became iconically cool.) John must've dug the idea of a '50s sit-com, being the rock 'n' roller that he was.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Yes, John had probably started recording Rock 'n' Roll at this point. He was probably there to see Ron Howard who was the star of that otherwise cast of unknowns, having just appeared in American Graffiti. There was a huge '50's nostalgia movement at the time. The old saying about a picture being worth a thousand words was never more applicable than in this instance.

Last edited by Colonel Angus : Jul 15, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I find it particularly significant because it certainly snaps a time and a place in history. I can't imagine how cool it would have been to be alive and experience the 1960s or 1970s. Some of you did, and so something like this must take you back. But for me who was born in the year John passed, I cherish things like this.

Snoopy, if you look into John's glasses, you can see a smile in his eyes. And frankly, Julian didn't photograph as a "happy" child often. There was always a faint sadness in his eyes...I don't say this for people to over-analyze or point fingers at any person in particular. Some kids just aren't jovial, don't care for pictures being taken, or are moody. So there could be a number of reasons but I find that John and Julian being together here in this- let's face it- icon-filled photo to be quite sweet.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I find it particularly significant because it certainly snaps a time and a place in history. I can't imagine how cool it would have been to be alive and experience the 1960s or 1970s.
Believe me, sometimes I wish I were born in 1980!

I actually remember when Happy Days started because, as the Colonel stated, there was a '50s nostalgia fad going on at the time. For some reason, I have a distinct memory of being at my best friend's house and her mom was reading the newspaper and telling us about this new show that was starting and how excited she was because she herself had been a teenager during the '50s. (Later this mom gave me some of her old 45s because her daughter wasn't into Buddy Holly and Little Richard like I was.)

May doesn't say why they were touring Paramount Studios that day, but my guess is John was trying to show Julian a good time. Paramount only recently started giving tours (and even now they're very limited), so I'd imagine John pulled his Beatle strings to get this behind-the-scenes VIP access.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I'm a second generation Beatles fan. Meaning I was born in 1965 but didn't really discover the Beatles until after becoming a Wings fan. I remember being surprised that the guy that sings Silly Love Songs was a Beatle. And Happy Days was a wildly popular show. We had 3 channels, a great big rotary antenna, and me and my brother and sister were the remote.
As for John's disposition, by all accounts, he was very happy during his lost wknd. He was reconnecting w old friends and making new ones. There was some drunken behavior, but he was still a young man enjoying a new chapter in life. Here's another pic from that time that I hadn't seen until recently. I thought it was really interesting as well.

Last edited by Colonel Angus : Jul 16, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Bebe
Fool On The Hill

That is so awesome!!!!!
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2013, 05:11 AM   #19
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Snoopy, if you look into John's glasses, you can see a smile in his eyes. And frankly, Julian didn't photograph as a "happy" child often. There was always a faint sadness in his eyes...I don't say this for people to over-analyze or point fingers at any person in particular. Some kids just aren't jovial, don't care for pictures being taken, or are moody. So there could be a number of reasons but I find that John and Julian being together here in this- let's face it- icon-filled photo to be quite sweet.
It's true that Julian cannot be defined as a "jovial" child, according to the pictures taken during his childhood, even with his dad. It just strucks me compared with Sean, who looks much more happy and relaxed as a child.

Snoopy
Old Aug 04, 2013, 05:17 AM   #20
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
I'm a second generation Beatles fan. Meaning I was born in 1965 but didn't really discover the Beatles until after becoming a Wings fan. I remember being surprised that the guy that sings Silly Love Songs was a Beatle. And Happy Days was a wildly popular show. We had 3 channels, a great big rotary antenna, and me and my brother and sister were the remote.
As for John's disposition, by all accounts, he was very happy during his lost wknd. He was reconnecting w old friends and making new ones. There was some drunken behavior, but he was still a young man enjoying a new chapter in life. Here's another pic from that time that I hadn't seen until recently. I thought it was really interesting as well.

Me too I'm a second Generation Beatles fan (Born in 1966) and I knew and appreciated the Wings before I learnt about the Beatles. I first even thought that Paul had left the Beatles because of the Wings

Besides, I love the pictures of John with Mick, very cool and I absolutely agree with you: Despite the drinking periods, I also believe that John was happy during the lost weekend.

Snoopy