BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old May 25, 2006, 04:59 AM   #21
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

I think you are right. I saw the posting about I Will, and I started thinking whether it had a bass at all. . .or if it was a guitar or Paul singing it.
Anyone else know if it is Paul, a guitar or bass?
Old May 25, 2006, 07:24 AM   #22
Exis_Beat
Day Tripper

There are just SO many killer basslines to choose from... so I'm just keeping it to one or I'll be here all day. I say, the bassline in ''The Word'. I've always loved following the bassline in that one, especially with headphones. It's just... perfect - it just moves and grooves.

I think Paul said once something along the lines of he started playing more melodic basslines after hearing what Brian Wilson was doing... especially after 'Pet Sounds'. But hey, the greatest bass-player in the history of the world EVER - James Jameson of the Funk Brothers, who played on so much of those awesome 'Hitsville-era' Motown records - must've been a key influence too I think. I mean, we all know how much the lads loved Tamila-Motown and how highly they regarded those songs and the people who made that music.
Old May 25, 2006, 07:51 AM   #23
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
When you listen to Hey Bulldog, pan the sound all the way to one side. Can't remember which side, but you'll be able to hear the bass pure and clear.
Wow, I'd forgotten about this! You know, I used to do this with quite a few Beatles songs &, honestly, can't remember which ones... but sometimes the vocals are all to one side or the instruments are split. Man, I used to love to do that because you'd hear little bits & pieces that you just can't always hear clearly when it's all together.

Can this still be done with CDs? I guess I thought they would've redone them in a way that it wouldn't be true any more. Just never thought about it! I'm going to have to play with this! Thanks for the reminder!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 08:33 AM   #24
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha
Can this still be done with CDs? I guess I thought they would've redone them in a way that it wouldn't be true any more. Just never thought about it! I'm going to have to play with this! Thanks for the reminder!
You absolutely still can. Its the easiest way to make a kind of instant remix of the song. You can get a kind of karoke track for "Rain" this way.

I know that not everyone feels this way, but I love the heavy separation on Beatles stereo tracks.

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 09:01 AM   #25
Asha
Sun King

Oh that's cool to know, Tony! I didn't even think of the remixes & such! Definitely a cool idea! & I don't mind the separation, either. I really liked it, as I said, so you could hear those little things you don't normally hear! It's kind of cool & something that seems much more rare now.
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:13 PM   #26
John's Monkey
Nowhere Man

Holy Cow! "RAIN" easily! My father, who was a big music dork in his 20's at the time, told me once that when the "PPW/Rain" single came out, every one of his buddies couldn't stop talking about how far out that bass track was.

"I Want You" is pretty sick as well.

Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream - John Lennon

A love like ours could never die, as long as I have you near me - Paul McCartney
John's Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 05:06 PM   #27
theparlez
Fool On The Hill

Yeah, 'Rain' was about the first that came to me. But a lot of the '66 stuff is excellent....gotta love Taxman.

"Dramatic piano part - echoes of the Fab Four"
"The Lennon influence is unmistakable and gives theses tracks a powerfully evocative aura"

quotes from Taxi - the world's leading A&R company
theparlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 09:26 AM   #28
littlenicola
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via Yahoo to littlenicola

The "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" single, to me, has the best bass. I've always cranked the bass waaaaay up when I listen to either of those.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:06 AM   #29
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exis_Beat
There are just SO many killer basslines to choose from... so I'm just keeping it to one or I'll be here all day. I say, the bassline in ''The Word'. I've always loved following the bassline in that one, especially with headphones. It's just... perfect - it just moves and grooves.

I think Paul said once something along the lines of he started playing more melodic basslines after hearing what Brian Wilson was doing... especially after 'Pet Sounds'. But hey, the greatest bass-player in the history of the world EVER - James Jameson of the Funk Brothers, who played on so much of those awesome 'Hitsville-era' Motown records - must've been a key influence too I think. I mean, we all know how much the lads loved Tamila-Motown and how highly they regarded those songs and the people who made that music.
I sooo agree about "The Word"! Paul starting using the Ric 400/1 bass some on Rubber Soul, and Geoff Emerick also used a loudspeaker to boost the bass sound. "Rain" is another huge fave of mine.

And yes, James Jamerson was the big inspiration for this improvement in bass sound--Paul thought that the Beatles bass sound had been too weak up to that point and wanted it more like those Motown hits they so loved.

For some uncommon Beatles/Lennon photos, bootleg reviews, screen caps, etc., please visit:
Watching Rainbows: Photos and Commentary
child of nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 11:55 AM   #30
Lennonesque
Fool On The Hill

I am not sure if it's a good Bass line not being a musician but i always liked the Bass in "If I Needed Someone"
Lennonesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 03:34 PM   #31
rubbersoulster_mel
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to rubbersoulster_mel Send a message via Yahoo to rubbersoulster_mel

I'd also have to go with Hey, Bulldog for best bass line. In fact, I found myself humming it even as I saw the title of this thread. It pretty much goes without saying that Something is also very high on my list. Another I love is Dear Prudence... I actually find myself so interested in the bass line on that one that sometimes I realize I haven't actually been listening to the melody at all.

It's no wonder a harbor a secret desire to be a bass player!!

Someone from the office rang me up and said, 'Look, Paul, you're dead.' And I said, 'Oh, I don't agree with that.' - Paul McCartney
rubbersoulster_mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 04:41 PM   #32
Aunt Jemima
Fool On The Hill

"With a Little Help from My Friends", anyone?
To try our best to hold it there,
With our love...
With our love,
We could save the world.
If they only knew...

Everybody check out my favorite 200 albums of all-time!
Aunt Jemima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 05:47 PM   #33
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoulster_mel
It's no wonder a harbor a secret desire to be a bass player!!
Become one then! Really! You can do it. I felt the same way three years ago and I'm a bass player in a band now, so GO for it. It's the most fun you'll ever have.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 04:49 AM   #34
yol
Apple Scruff

Default depends

The best rock and roll bass line is "Saw Her Standing There" (was that the "Elvis" one?), while "Mean Mr Mustard" is quite different - he has a distorted bass, or something like that; I also like "Nowhere man" - it was about this point he began to change his style somewhat.
Dear me, there are so many great bass lines...!
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2006, 05:21 AM   #35
rwbarnes
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to rwbarnes Send a message via MSN to rwbarnes Send a message via Yahoo to rwbarnes

Taxman also has a great bass part!
Old Jun 01, 2006, 05:36 AM   #36
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I go with

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Paperback Writer
Rain
Old Brown Shoe
I Saw Her Standing There

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 10:55 AM   #37
Anthony
Little Child

Send a message via AIM to Anthony

I love the bassline to Rain and the fill in Why Don't We Do It In The Road? gets me everytime.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 04:42 PM   #38
rubbersoulster_mel
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to rubbersoulster_mel Send a message via Yahoo to rubbersoulster_mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
Become one then! Really! You can do it. I felt the same way three years ago and I'm a bass player in a band now, so GO for it. It's the most fun you'll ever have.
Thanks for the words of encouragement Rell. I really do find myself drawn to it and it really is something I want to learn. Itís next on my mental list of music related things to do. Right now I'm trying desperately to conquer my guitar... or it's trying desperately to conquer me. Sometimes it's hard to tell which it is!

Someone from the office rang me up and said, 'Look, Paul, you're dead.' And I said, 'Oh, I don't agree with that.' - Paul McCartney
rubbersoulster_mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:59 AM   #39
Mean Mister Mustard
Nowhere Man

"Drive My Car" and "Dear Prudence" both have nifty riffs throughout.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:59 AM   #40
tommymoorenomore
Fool On The Hill

Default MY TWO CENTS

Great Question.

I am partial to the bass line in NowhereMan. I think it is very inventive and gives the song a moving sense of tempo.
tommymoorenomore is offline   Reply With Quote