BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Fierce, Fabulous, Flawless: a celebration of John's hair (in words and pics)

While looking through the Dear John: why so beautiful thread I soon came to see that John's hair was deserving of it's own separate thread. When your hair has fans of it's own, acknowledgment must be met immediately. So I have now created this new (and equally as superficial) thread devoted to the flaw-free greatness that was John's hair.

Within this thread, I really have no expectations other than for all involved to keep on topic. In other words, please don't go on essay-long rants (as I often do) discussing John's songwriting abilities, his lyrical prowess, sense of humor, and depth of character. Nor should you post pictures of only his hands, ears, neck, etc. Those would probably be acceptable in their own thread (and even then we may have to re-consider some of those) but THIS thread is specifically about everything to do with his hair. So your photos should include good-to-excellent visuals that involve John's hair (and please don't ask me what hair I'm referring to... We have children reading these threads after all!)

So when you post, you can be creative and title your post with the hairstyle name, or something you love about his hair. Hair-hating is only tolerated in spurts and with LOTS of humor involved. If you want to hate on John's hair, which is perfectly acceptable I guess, please make your rants few and far between and use some decorum. This is a celebration, NOT a mockery.

Finally, have a lot of fun!!! I am known to create completely inept and perfectly shallow threads like this from time to time, but I also really do love John's hair and think he's beautiful. So if you want to fangirl/fanboy you will NOT be judged.

Shall we begin then?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 20, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via Yahoo to the ninth walrus

just perfect

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
the ninth walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default the Teddy Boy

According to definition a teddy boy was:

Quote:
one of a cult of youths who wore mock Edwardian fashions, such as tight narrow trousers, pointed shoes, and long sideboards
So, in the late 50's John adapted the Teddy Boy hairstyle- which was basically (according to Wiki):

Quote:
a long, strongly-moulded greased-up hair with a quiff at the front and the side combed back to form a duck's arse at the rear.
John's Teddy Boy hair in his youth:

Interestingly enough, John- who had about 7,000 different hairstyles in his relatively short life- reverted back to his youth a couple days prior to his senseless murder in 1980. In the following photos you can clearly see that 40 year-old John Lennon was rocking a Teddy Boy as brilliantly as he did when he was younger:

My opinion? It isn't my TOP favorite hairstyle of his, but I love it. I think it kept him in touch with that rebel within. I sort of almost prefer him at age 40 with it... don't know why. His face was way thinner, maybe, and it suited him. But then he always made his own alterations to whatever hairstyle he took on. The loose swept-back hair in the last picture (his last photo alive ) is gorgeous. And of course he sort of did bangs as well instead of a little quiff, so he knew what worked best for him, freaking style icon. Short bangs. I dig John's TB hair. It's very him.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

What a good idea, Scruffie

It's another typical thing in John's life among others, that he changed his hair-style quite often.

While I've never been a fan of his "Jesus-look" at the end of the 60's, I always loved his sideburns, like on this picture:

As far as I know, John wore sideburns from the age of 18 till the end; I just love them

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Those are rather awesome Snoopy! But did he always have sideburns? I feel like there must exist a photo of him without sideburns somewhere. If not, they may remain one of the few constants in John's life, along with Mimi, his love of cats and sleeping.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Interestingly enough, John- who had about 7,000 different hairstyles in his relatively short life- reverted back to his youth a couple days prior to his senseless murder in 1980. In the following photos you can clearly see that 40 year-old John Lennon was rocking a Teddy Boy as brilliantly as he did when he was younger:

My opinion? It isn't my TOP favorite hairstyle of his, but I love it. I think it kept him in touch with that rebel within. I sort of almost prefer him at age 40 with it... don't know why. His face was way thinner, maybe, and it suited him. But then he always made his own alterations to whatever hairstyle he took on. The loose swept-back hair in the last picture (his last photo alive ) is gorgeous. And of course he sort of did bangs as well instead of a little quiff, so he knew what worked best for him, freaking style icon. Short bangs. I dig John's TB hair. It's very him.
Dear Scruffie, are you sure that John only had about 7,000 hairstyles ?

Yes, it's awesome how John returned in 1980 to his early teddy-boy hairstyle, I found that sooooooooo great Well, it's one of my TOP favourite one I sort of prefer him at age 40 with the teddy-boy haircut too, probably because it made him look younger than 40

I fully agree: John was a freaking style icon for sure

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default A few more from his last days with the Teddy Boy

I wanted to post these two photos because it looks like he almost has a mullet in the second, but is saved by his sideburns (phew!). Anyway, I rather like that he was channeling his youth in the end:

Do you like his interpretation of the look better in the late 50's or 1980? Or both?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default The perfect ROCKER front sweep: aka the transitional period b/w Teddy Boy and moptop

Found these pics of John in that period shortly after Stu died. I don't know what to really call this hairstyle, as it isn't a TB and it isn't quite a moptop. So I guess I'll stick with my title description. I really love this look, as it clearly shows what a sad young man he was and highlights his very deep eyes.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Dear Scruffie, are you sure that John only had about 7,000 hairstyles ?
Yes, yes...I may be leaving some out. We'll soon find out.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:08 AM   #10
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

how many of you besides me want to gently lick John's sideburns
like a cat grooming it companion...i should shut up now

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:18 AM   #11
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ninth walrus View Post
how many of you besides me want to gently lick John's sideburns
like a cat grooming it companion...i should shut up now
My word! Um, I've never had that desire but I would have liked to have been his hair stylist back in the 60's and 70's.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:20 AM   #12
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

i would have liked to be his hair so i can be on top of him ;)

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish

Last edited by the ninth walrus : Nov 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Maia 66
Sun King

My fave 1980 style was when he brushed it back... he rocked that receding hairline... and in this photo, you see not only the RED, but also the natural curliness of his beautiful hair:

Of course, you know I dig 1966 John, and his hair was a huge reason why. I love the post-moptop/pre-hippie thang... and those cool-ass sideburns/boards, lickable or otherwise:

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:42 AM   #14
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
One of the most breathtaking candid photos of John in the entire cannon. I skipped over the 1966 John photo you posted just to say this pic is so special to me. His outfit, the hair, the glasses, his attitude. John had a broad forehead, sure, but he WORKED it. J'adore.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:50 AM   #15
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Apple Scruff
Sun King

^ So you love the shoulder-length middle-part look? I prefer the NYC one because his hair looks more bouncy and the curls are evident. In the bottom 1968 pic, it looks more greasy and uncouth, but I wouldn't side-eye it.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Laid-back California casual

I loved everything about John's LA style (even the half-plaid/half-denim thing looked divinely in it's element), and his hair was DEFINITELY at the of it's game.

Here are some candids May Pang took of John where you can see he put absolutely no effort into his hair, because he didn't need to, and it looks amazing.

How do you all feel about the Laid-back Cali style John? California girls?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 20, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:56 AM   #18
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

again the sideburns

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:53 PM   #19
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
^ So you love the shoulder-length middle-part look? ... it looks more greasy and uncouth, but I wouldn't side-eye it.
I get where you're coming from, but at the time it was cool as hell. In the '60s, hair was a social-political statement... and by 1968, the longer, the better! I really dig 1968 John because I think he looks so cheeky!

All I want is the truth

Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:59 PM   #20
Maia 66
Sun King

Wink

All I want is the truth