BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Closed Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:01 AM   #21
Loka
Nowhere Man

Iīm so disappointed, you know. I thought "Great, this could be one thing that is more important to him that his own person (regarding his stupid talking because of the "Let them know itīs Christmas" thing last year), but now...? As if Iīve only waited for him pushing himself in between as soon as there seem to be younger, current stars who everybody could look forward to. Why this envy?!
This is so depressing, I wonīt be able to watch it without thinking "Is the purpose of this whole not more important than who opens and ends it on stage?! In the end, itīs Bob Geldorfīs thing, not his. But obviously he wants to give the impression of being THE V-I-P on this day. I could
Canīt wait to see him in these embarrassing Sgt. Pepper outfits, and then eight hours later, after listening to those who actually PERFORM during this concert listening to his whiny voice in "The Long and Winding Road". Bet he canīt even sing it anymore. Itīs pretty high, you know...
If Bobby had offered it to him, but NO! Can be sure he gambles this away with insisting on his big role. Dickhead.
I wish I had been the one who turned off his stupid mike in 1985, but I werenīt there. Remember the trouble when it appeared on DVD lately? He wouldnīt let it pass until theyīve changed and cut and recorded this scene over. I call that a falsification of history!
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:08 AM   #22
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

[quote=Loka]
If Bobby had offered it to him, but NO! Can be sure he gambles this away with insisting on his big role. Dickhead. QUOTE]

I hope this wasn't directed towards Paul...

"Sometimes the things that you liked the best and that have meant the most to you are the things that meant nothing at all to you when you first heard or saw them." - Bob Dylan
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:51 AM   #23
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperland67
I hope this wasn't directed towards Paul...
It quite obviously was. I think you're reading WAY too much into something that "reportedly" somebody may have said, Loka. I get that you detest Paul, already.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:09 AM   #24
sparrowvelvet
Little Child

I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna & Sting sang "Imagine". I know she sang it as part of her last tour ... but needless to say Lennon's original version is the best !!!!!

The way these concerts work usually, is that there are so many performers that they only can do a few numbers each. It would be cool if Paul could do another song, I agree. But there probably isn't enought time.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:25 AM   #25
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

ah, memories! it was twenty years ago today......Live Aid,1985

Bono & Macca (long before Bono complained about Macca), Freddie Mercury, and Howard Jones singing in the finale @ Live Aid in London.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:31 AM   #26
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
It quite obviously was. I think you're reading WAY too much into something that "reportedly" somebody may have said, Loka. I get that you detest Paul, already.

Yea. Calling Paul a "dickhead" is way beyond out of line.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:37 AM   #27
saziontherun
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Paulrus
(long before Bono complained about Macca)
Did he? What was that about? Must've missed that...
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:56 AM   #28
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

this was why, sazi:

McCARTNEY 'DEMANDED' TOP SPOT AT LIVE 8

June 28,2005

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...0at%20live%208

SIR PAUL McCARTNEY reportedly only agreed to perform at the Live 8 concert in London on Saturday (02JUL05) after organisers agreed to let him open and close the charity extravaganza.

The former BEATLE insisted on being top of the bill and told SIR BOB GELDOF he would "think seriously" about taking part, if not granted his requests, according to reports.

McCartney will open the gig with an adapted version of SERGEANT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND - reworded to praise Geldof's achievements - and end it with The Beatles ballad LONG AND WINDING ROAD.

Organisers were left with a tricky diplomatic job appeasing the top acts performing at London's Hyde Park - U2 star BONO was determined to get his fair share of the limelight, and will be allowed to share the stage with McCartney to duet on the opening track. Both stars will wear the military suits the Beatles wore on the Sergeant Pepper album cover.

A Live 8 source tells British newspaper the DAILY MAIL, "Some of the more fragile egos are upset. Bono, in particular, was quick to demand a share of the opening number and sees what he was done politically over the years as a bit more relevant to Live 8 than what Paul has to offer.

"These are the biggest rock stars around. Whatever order they sing in there is going to be friction."

A spokesperson for McCartney says, "Bob asked him if he would do it and he is delighted to be taking part in such an important event."
Old Jun 30, 2005, 09:57 AM   #29
saziontherun
Mr. Moonlight

Thanks!
I just thought that there was something else in the past...
Sorry, my mistake, duh!

Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:36 PM   #30
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy
I know this isnīt concerned with Paul,but it belongs to Live 8: They said in telly today that Madonna and Sting are going to sing Imagine... I guess you are more informed than me so please tell me itīs only a rumour!!!

-shudders- I hope not..... you know what they should do they should play the video from Lennon Legend where he does Imagine.....but then maybe that would be pointless..... but it would be so cool!!
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:52 PM   #31
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Exclamation Please Read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182
Yea. Calling Paul a "dickhead" is way beyond out of line.
I agree. Loka, if you have any issue with Paul or anybody else, there are other ways of getting your point across. Making statements like this doesn't reflect well on you and it doesn't help the board image, either.

Once again I will make this statement -- it is one thing to discuss behavior and issues you are displeased with. It is an entirely different matter to attack any person or hurl epithets. I am wearing my moderator hat when I make this request that we all refrain from these kinds of comments.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:59 PM   #32
Lizzy
Nowhere Man

Send a message via MSN to Lizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony_leo
-shudders- I hope not..... you know what they should do they should play the video from Lennon Legend where he does Imagine.....but then maybe that would be pointless..... but it would be so cool!!
Yeah,love that video... all over the screen only his face...
But in Live Aid? I donīt know... I think itīs song about peace and as far as I know this Live Aid shall help with a bit else problem...but... when Iīm thinking of the text now,it could fit quite well,yes,itīs universal song But NO being sung by Madonna and Sting! (O.K. I know Iīm not much objective in it ,I just think itīs Johnīs voice what make this song so unigue as well and if it will done by someone else it wonīt have such effect)
Old Jun 30, 2005, 01:32 PM   #33
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Hey everyone...The Sex Pistols will be reunited for Live 8....yeah! As for Madonna and Sting singing "Imagine" ...well it makes me shutter and flinch...Hopefully they won't screw it up. Their voices are not that great...and I am looking forward to seeing Pink Floyd together! As for this Paul and Bono spat....they need to keep their egos out of it and stop quarreling about who will sing what and who will get the center stage..blah blah!. This is about Africa and their cry for help , not their flipping egos.Cmon...you can do better guys!
Old Jun 30, 2005, 02:11 PM   #34
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

I wish they would have a real Pink Floyd reunion with Syd Barret joining in.
make a country dream come true
Old Jun 30, 2005, 02:54 PM   #35
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5
I wish they would have a real Pink Floyd reunion with Syd Barret joining in.
me too but he is happy living with his Mum in Cambridgshire.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:34 PM   #36
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

June 30, 2005 -- Contact Music

McCARTNEY CLEARS UP LIVE 8 CONFUSION

Sir Paul McCartney is keen to dispel the myth that Live 8 is a fundraising concert, insisting it is only about raising awareness.

Little money will be raised by the 10 concerts being held on Saturday July 2 and next Wednesday July 6 to coincide with the G8 summit in Scotland, because all funds raised by ticket lotteries will go towards the cost of staging the gigs.

The former Beatle says, "This is not a fundraiser. It is not about the money. It's a consciousness-raiser. It's about speaking out on behalf of African people being born this very moment into eternal debt
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:39 PM   #37
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Paul and Bono are truly class acts. Bono has done a lot of altruistic works and one can really respect him. He and Paul would, undoubtedly be a good match musically and I'm sure otherwise. I like the rationale for this consciousness-raiser and think this will certainly be to the benefit of many.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:43 PM   #38
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka

Canīt wait to see him in these embarrassing Sgt. Pepper outfits, and then eight hours later, after listening to those who actually PERFORM during this concert listening to his whiny voice in "The Long and Winding Road". Bet he canīt even sing it anymore. Itīs pretty high, you know...
Well, if you hate him so much, then why bothering of watching him?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:12 PM   #39
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

All right. Now yes it may be true that Paul was a bit persistent in being the top act for Live 8, but it's not like he's some random Joe who doesn't deserve it. I think he should have top billing: he's a rock legend and he was at the closing of the Live Aid concert in 1985. But if Paul didn't get top billing, I wouldn't mind Bono, since he also has the rock star credentials and is very well known for his eagerness to help the unfortunate. And sure, maybe Paul was a bit overzealous in forcing an edit of his Let it Be performance, but think about it: if this DVD is going to be seen by thousands or millions of people, would he really want them to see and remember a microphone malfunction? I can see how editing it is a "falsification of history," but it also enhances the essence of the concert itself.

So basically, if anyone were to be a bit demanding at times, I sure don't mind if it's Sir Paul McCartney. At least he's earned it.

And saying he's a "dickhead" is completely uncalled for. It's repulsive.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:36 PM   #40
LovinLennon909
Taxman

I think Paul deserves to headline Live 8, but I really hate that he ALWAYS insists upon playing Long and Winding Road, Hey Jude and Let it Be. Come on Paul, play Lovely Rita! Play Good Day Sunshine! Or Got to Get You Into My Life!

I hate all, and I mean each and every single one, covers of any of John's songs, but particularly "Imagine." It's disgraceful towards John, because when others singers sing much of his (highly personal) work, they're just saying words (albeit beautiful ones); John sang his personal feelings, beliefs, dreams and desires, despite anything he said to the contrary.