BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old May 15, 2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Default Spooky! Is this for real?

This is sort of in relation to an earlier thread I did, but I didn't want to post it there, because maybe more people will read this seperately. Mods if you would perfer me to post this in the other thread, then by all means I will.

I was googling around for some pictures of John to add to the picture thread, and I came across this article:

__________________________________________________ _______________
Lennon?
Sir Paul McCartney believes John Lennon haunted the recording of the 1995 Beatles single 'Free As A Bird' - in the form of a white peacock.

The rock legend, Ringo Starr and George Harrison posed for a photograph outside the studio where the track was recorded - when the bird wandered in shot at the last minute from a neighbouring farm.

The singer said: "That's John. Spooky, eh? It was like John was hanging around. We felt that all through the recording"

McCartney also believes John made his presence felt on the single's B-side. He revealed: "We put one of those spoof backwards recordings on the end of the single for a laugh, to give all those Beatles nuts something to do.

"I think it was the line of a George Formby song. Then we were listening to the finished single in the studio one night, and it gets to the end, and it goes, 'zzzwrk nggggwaaahhh jooohn lennnnnon qwwwrk' I swear to God

"We were like, 'It's John He likes it!"

__________________________________________________ ______________

incase your wondering the url was this:
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/62002004.htm

My question is......is this a hoax? Is this source a tabloid?

Did Paul actually say this? The Peacock thing isn't so hard to believe, I mean it could have been any old Peacock and they just thought it was John because they were thinking about him at the time, or it could have been John, though that may seem far fetched to some.

As for Free as A Bird......I could always hear the "John Lennon" but I always thought they put that on it themselves? If they didn't thats so cool, and also a little creepy. However I am aware that the probability of this being true is slim. Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks!

Last edited by Loony_leo : May 16, 2006 at 02:08 PM.
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

The source seems a bit tabloid-ish.
However, as many decades as I have been , I have learned to never discount what would seem to be a wierd, coincidental happening. Who are we to say? Paul was there, everyone felt it was the case who was there so why not?
If you are open to it all sorts of "interesting" things are happening to clue us in to "over there", if you will. I think there are lots of people out there who believe these sort of things but are afraid to openly admit it for fear of being thought crazy? True?
Old May 27, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dreamer
However, as many decades as I have been , I have learned to never discount what would seem to be a wierd, coincidental happening. Who are we to say? Paul was there, everyone felt it was the case who was there so why not?
If you are open to it all sorts of "interesting" things are happening to clue us in to "over there", if you will. I think there are lots of people out there who believe these sort of things but are afraid to openly admit it for fear of being thought crazy? True?
I agree with Dr. Dreamer
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dreamer
I agree whole heartedly with you Dr. Dreamer.

I was talking with my dad about this article, and we listened to free as a bird, after, and both of us don't buy the bit about the "John Lennon" at the end just comming onto the track like that, although the Peacock bit is a little easier to belive, if the source is credible, and George, Paul and Ringo really did feel the same way about the peacock.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:36 AM   #5
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

I agree with what Dr. Dreamer is saying about.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 03:45 PM   #6
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I think it's the media taking a simple comment he made in an interview and blowing it way out of proportion to be a huge news story...sort of like the "revelation" a few years ago when Paul admitted to using cocaine.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 09:46 AM   #7
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

That's why I said the source "seemed" a bit tabloidish. And I agree RR the media does have a habit of taking little things way out of proportion (side comments and the like). Remember they're objective is selling papers and this sort of thing from the "mouths of Beatles" (really anything they say) gets an inordinate amount of attention.
Frankly, I find these type of occurances to be fairly common and anyone can have them. The only requirment being that you remain open and recognize them when they happen. So when it is sensationalized as some kind of "revelation" it does seem rather silly.
Old Jun 01, 2006, 02:36 PM   #8
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I thought actually that "John Lennon" bit was intentional too....

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 03:19 AM   #9
SandySunshine
Taxman

Well, I always thought the "John Lennon" bit at the end of the song was intentional 'cos to me, it sounds like it says "thankyou John Lennon"!!!!! So I don't think that bit was coincidental but I can maybe buy the white peacock bit 'cos it's not exactly a common bird, is it?!

I do believe the Captain's trodden on my parrot!!!!!
SandySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 09:50 AM   #10
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

It says "Made for John Lennon," and yes, it was intentional.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 04:20 PM   #11
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

I always understood that last line to be intentional as well. Though I suppose it sounds "backward-ish". I just took it to be the band invoking their famous style for that sort of - is it called back masking?- audio.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 06:19 PM   #12
Love Fest1969
Apple Scruff

Send a message via MSN to Love Fest1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Love Fest1969

That would be groovy if it really was John.
Old Jun 04, 2006, 05:30 AM   #13
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Talking !!!sdrawkcaB ti yalP

I have never heard anything about it intending to say "made for John Lennon". When it is played backwards, you can hear that it is a recording of John's voice saying "It turned out nice again, didn't it". Very clear. That was the explanation I remember reading years and years ago when Free As A Bird came out and just to confirm, I have just checked it out and that it what it says.

As for thing about the peacock...well that is something else I have never heard about but I do remember reading an interview with Paul where he said he was convinced that John was with them in the studio because things kept moving around. I read that again recently on some "Famous Hauntings" website.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote