BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs up Appreciating John's assets part 1: his nose (a picspam of sorts)

John's nose is a force unto itself, for it is sometimes not uncommon to hear someone refer to another person as having a "Lennon nose" or for cartoonists and other artists to place emphasis on this particular feature of his face in a very exaggerated way:

Understandably, John's nose stood out for three good reasons (amongst many others) . First, of course, it was not slight. It had a long, narrow, and delicate shape and was very proportionately placed on his face, but was unique and notable enough to stand out exceptionally well on it's own. Secondly, it was quite perfectly shaped for such a long, narrow, and delicate feature. Sometimes when looking at pictures of John it almost seems like his nose was sculpted by some Italian Renaissance sculptor- Michelangelo comes to mind:

And lastly, John's nose was, as his glasses would later become, his trademark. You knew which Beatle he was almost instantly by a turn of the head because John had the most perfect profile you could ever dream to have:

John's nose was distinctive and full of character. Some call it Romanesque, Paul McCarteny calls it Aquiline (basically the same thing):

"I used to do caricatures of John. He was the only person I knew with an aquiline nose."

So see, even Paul can't help himself. It's a natural thing to be drawn to something so unique and strong as John's nose. It defined his face and, no doubt, played some part in his vocal delivery (though that is probably just me speculating so please no medical experts chastise me). I thought we could have a fun little spam of sorts where we find some of our personal favorite photos showcasing the CHARACTER and UNIQUENESS of one of John's most beautiful assets: his incomparable nose.

I'll do my best but I need you to help!

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Mar 19, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Smile John's profile in action

As a young girl, I think I first took note of John's nose in this amazing video. Around the 0:42 mark it all started to sink in!!!

Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs up Some of my favorites!!!

Like a painting

Look at the shape!!

Per-fec-tion

The quintessential nose for aviators

Oh John!!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Oh Apple! Well...I'm not sure WHAT to think about this thread you have created! Ummm...it's...well....it's ummmm....so I ...... ummmm....well...all I can say is:

4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Apple Scruff
Sun King

It's a little fan-girly for you, eh 4iiiis?

Well, here's the deal we can strike.

Post videos with John in them so I can make comments on his nose and you can pick on me all you want.

I know my superficial threads know no limits.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:11 PM   #6
hibgal
Sun King

A thread on John's NOSE? Girl, you're flippin!

What next? His left toe? Come to think of it, we can combine the two, like so:

Now please get a cool cloth and place on your overheated forehead, Scruffie. Trust me, you need it!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:41 AM   #7
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Post John's distinctive noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
As a young girl, I think I first took note of John's nose in this amazing video. Around the 0:42 mark it all started to sink in!!!

I saw this video as a teenager and as this video plays mostly in the dark, I first had difficulties to recognize the Beatles, as they have all a similar shape. BUT then I easily then could recognize John, due to his "special" noise

I agree with Paul that John had an aquiline noise and it really stood out. However, as far as I know, John didn't like his noise very much Well, it's well known that people with big noises are claimed to be strong characters, which was true in John's case

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Smile

Quote:
Like a painting

[Oh John!!]
These two pictures are very good examples to compare:

You can see clearly that on the second picture, his noise isn't perfectly shaped anymore IMHO Sorry, but to me it's not the same noise-shape as in the 60's and I can't imagine that it's due to "getting older", as there maybe only 13 years difference between the two pictures.

That's why I'm pretty sure that John had his noise operated, not for esthetical reasons, but due to his cocaine-abuse. I know there are rumours about it, and I tend to believe it's true because the late 70's pictures say it all.

Now you are all free to hit me.... *quickly leaves the forum*

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
A thread on John's NOSE? Girl, you're flippin!

What next? His left toe?
Ok, ok. You and 4iiiis can mock me all you want, hmph! I'm going to have fun with these nose picspams and neither of you two will rain on my parade with your sensible and balanced fandom remarks.

And his left toe wasn't as significant...not enough pics to back that up.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post

You can see clearly that on the second picture, his noise isn't perfectly shaped anymore IMHO Sorry, but to me it's not the same noise-shape as in the 60's and I can't imagine that it's due to "getting older", as there maybe only 13 years difference between the two pictures.

That's why I'm pretty sure that John had his noise operated, not for esthetical reasons, but due to his cocaine-abuse. I know there are rumours about it, and I tend to believe it's true because the late 70's pictures say it all.

Snoopy
Snoopy, I definitely disagree with you that John had any surgery. And you know the only source for that story was Albert Goldman, right? And it wasn't even that the surgery was performed, but that he was going to have one because of a damaged septum. Plenty of people that snorted coke had this problem- Stevie Nicks, for example, apparently damaged hers in her early 30s (she was a MAJOR coke fiend though).

Anyways, John probably caused some damage to his nose internally, but I don't see it much externally. He was older, MUCH thinner, and his face was more drawn- making all his features appear larger. Plus, the nose never stops growing. So it may have gotten a little longer.

And yet again, you are comparing a still shot of him unsmiling to one of him with a huge smile on his face. Obviously his nose won't look the same!

Frankly, the last shot is one of my favorites and I love his nose there. What can I say? We just have different preferences.

Here is a far better comparison and, sorry Snoopy, I don't think you are right in your surgery beliefs.

John in 1965 (left) and 1980 (right)

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Mar 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:54 PM   #11
wildewoman
Taxman

It's the same freaking nose, it's just older in the 1980 photo (snicker)
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thank you wilde! I quite agree, and honestly John looks gorgeous in both those pics I used for the comparison pic.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Maia 66
Sun King

Thank you, thank you, thank you... and ta, luv for dedicating a thread to John's most prominent physical asset... his regal, inimitable nose!!

John had the most distinctive and beautiful profile... thanks to that nose and his amazing bone structure:

...the next asset has GOT to be the beautiful lines of his mouth!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:12 PM   #14
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you... and ta, luv for dedicating a thread to John's most prominent physical asset... his regal, inimitable nose!!

John had the most distinctive and beautiful profile... thanks to that nose and his amazing bone structure:

...the next asset has GOT to be the beautiful lines of his mouth!

I've always felt his elegant nose and his upper lip were some of the sexiest things about him.

Really, he looks like he is a Greek Statue come to life:

[IMG]http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/07/greek-statues-in-color.html[IMG]
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:12 PM   #15
wildewoman
Taxman

Crap, what did I do wrong?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
Crap, what did I do wrong?
You forgot the slash [/] before the closing tag ... [/IMG]

Here's a photo on that page:

...and I absolutely agree. Classic features. Someone told me on another website that Bob Freeman thought John was the best looking because of his classic looks.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Mar 20, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Apple Scruff
Sun King

That is a fact re: Bob Freeman, Maia.

John was a gorgeous man. It took me long enough. I think my opening post in the Beautiful thread sums it up.

But please don't misunderstand, my intelligent and astute Lennonistas (wilde I just read your freaking post in the Book thread- dang lady you are a scholar!!!), I love John first and foremost for his incomparable talents. Yes, that is plural and how.

But his nose is so distinctive, so pronounced. It has such a masculine, dignified, and classic quality to it. I know people are so quick to say "Julian has John's nose." They are incorrect. Julian has CYNTHIA'S original nose. He has his father's nose length and that is all. He has a very similar profile to John, but not quite. Sean, shockingly, has developed a John nose over time. I never thought it would be so, because he always appeared to have a smallish/cute nose for so long. But now, in it's own way, it has become defined and those lines are there...Sean has more a John nose than Julian.

But still. Neither of them have the John Nose. Neither did Fred Lennon, whom some will say John may have inherited his from. He had a pretty awesome nose (probably his best feature) as well, but Fred's was a little shorter. I think Julia's was more long and classic in a different way. It was the combination of those two that gave John this incredible and never to be repeated asset we are appreciating right now:

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Mar 20, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:00 PM   #18
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Ok, ok. You and 4iiiis can mock me all you want, hmph! I'm going to have fun with these nose picspams and neither of you two will rain on my parade with your sensible and balanced fandom remarks.

And his left toe wasn't as significant...not enough pics to back that up.
Ok ok ok Apple! It seems you have taken a little heat for this dubious...err... I mean wonderful thread idea...BUT you seem to have found an equal amount of support for this apparently under-appreciated asset of John's And besides, your thread ideas are nothing to sneeze at!

Now really, I don't know much about noses except that I am quite attached to my nose, thank you very much. I would post a picture of it but I am very humble and don't want anyone to think I was trying to one-up John's nose hmmmm...that didn't come out quite right, did it? Well, gesundheit!
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:09 PM   #19
Apple Scruff
Sun King

4iiiis, do you have a Aquiline-like nose?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:19 AM   #20
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post

Snoopy
The noses are he same.I think they look different is because of the goofy smile in the 2nd one and the shadows.