BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old May 15, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Esmirelda
Sun King

Smile Dave Grohl at Sir Paul McCartney’s Anfield concert

Foo Fighters’ frontman Dave Grohl at Sir Paul McCartney’s Anfield concert
May 15 2008 by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

FOO Fighters’ frontman Dave Grohl is set to play at Sir Paul McCartney’s Liverpool Sound concert next month.

The American, who is known to be a fan of The Beatles, is understood to have been “very keen” to be involved in the gig on Sunday, June 1, that will also feature the rock stars Kaiser Chiefs. The Culture Company had promised a “very special international superstar guest” for Sir Paul’s concert, and Grohl, the former drummer of 1990s grunge band Nirvana, appears to be that person.

Last night, Liverpool council leader Warren Bradley said: “It’s great news to have international stars in the city.

“Musicians like Paul McCartney and Dave Grohl playing on the same stage in our Culture year – some would think it a dream.

“This is the ideal concert to be performed in Liverpool, just months before we welcome the MTV Europe awards at the Arena.”

The Foo Fighters will be playing in Manchester the day after the Anfield gig, which is also understood to be likely to feature Liverpool band The Zutons.

A limited number of tickets, priced £35 to £75, plus a booking fee, are still available on the Culture Company’s website.

Last week, announcing the Kaiser Chiefs, Sir Paul said: “It should be a whole lot of fun.

“Final details of the concert have yet to be announced, so I don’t want to give too much away.

“But this is a great start.”

The gig is being headlined by the 65-year-old former Beatle and is expected to be one of the highlights of Capital of Culture year.

Grohl shot to fame with Nirvana in the 1990s.

After the group disbanded following the death of Kurt Cobain, in 1994, he went on to set up the Foo Fighters.

The band has arguably gone on to become more successful than Nirvana were.

Grohl is known to be a fan of The Beatles, and when he presented BBC Radio 1’s Legends show, the Fab Four’s Taxman topped his list of favourite tracks.

He has been quoted as having said: “If The Beatles were the original rock ’n’ roll four-piece, then Ringo was the original rock ’n’ roll drummer.

“This was the template for the next 40 years of music.

“They were certainly the foundation for what I do and Ringo seemed to be the foundation of The Beatles.”

An initial 25,000 tickets for the Liverpool Sound were sold through a special ballot launched in September 2007.

However, the Culture Company decided to sell an additional 11,000 to help cover mounting costs for the event.

BBC2 will broadcast highlights from the concert on the evening of the show, while Radio 2 will also be covering the event.

davidbartlett@dailypost.co.uk
Old May 15, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Ooooh excellent! So he's this international superstar? Yay! I love the foo fighters!!
Old May 15, 2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Lucy

Just wanted to add something.....
this is a real "life is on track" thing because this afternoon at work we had Arrow Rock on the radio (it plays old and new stuff) and Band on the Run came on. A guy I sit next to who LOVES to rip into Paul said that he liked the song but that the Foos version of it is better and then he emailed it to me and I told him about how they are Beatles fans. This was all before the announcement that Dave will be there! SO girls (and matty moo) I reckon that is a bit of a sign that it is REALLY going to go off! YAY!!!
Old May 15, 2008, 01:04 PM   #4
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Just wanted to add something.....
this is a real "life is on track" thing because this afternoon at work we had Arrow Rock on the radio (it plays old and new stuff) and Band on the Run came on. A guy I sit next to who LOVES to rip into Paul said that he liked the song but that the Foos version of it is better and then he emailed it to me and I told him about how they are Beatles fans. This was all before the announcement that Dave will be there! SO girls (and matty moo) I reckon that is a bit of a sign that it is REALLY going to go off! YAY!!!
It is our night Lucy no doubt, I feel great things will occur!!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

i love dave grohl!! this is great news!
Would you like to do it too?

You and I, country dreamer
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 07:46 PM   #6
beatlemania5grace
Day Tripper

Superstar guest?
I can't imagine that they couuld find a bigger international superstar then Paul McCartney himself.

:)

A gang of rogue, militant Beatles fans who will destroy anyone who insults or undermines the work of the group, or any of it's members.
When Sally offended the Beatles Mafia by saying that the Rolling Stones were better, she woke up with Henry The Horse's head on her pillow
-Urban Dictionary
beatlemania5grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 09:48 PM   #7
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Dave Grohl = awesome

I love how despite the fact that Foo Fighters have had way more hits and are just plain much better the article talks about Nirvana, like, four times as much.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 01:33 AM   #8
Lucy

I love it how you hear these stories about how Dave is the nicest guy in rock. I had some friends that met him when they came to NZ years ago. I saw them in concert but didn't meet him. Last time they played London (I missed out on a ticket) some friends from work went and said that during the concert, Dave went right the way up to the back of Earl's Court with his guitar so the fans stuck right at the very back got to see him playing up close. How cool is that!
Old May 16, 2008, 05:35 AM   #9
Esmirelda
Sun King

Dave Grohl is a real nice guy. Funny too.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:14 AM   #10
beatles fan
Sun King

This will be cool! The other day before I heard of this my friend showed me one of his songs performed on jools holland:

"Hi i'm John Lennon and I play the guitar and sometimes I play the fool"- Live at the BBC

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/r6213_c.jpg
beatles fan is offline   Reply With Quote