BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

View Poll Results: Whuch of these is your favorite ?
"White Album" version 8 36.36%
"Anthology 3" demo 8 36.36%
"Love" version (demo + new string arrangement) 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:59 AM   #21
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Haha in reading this I realized "Gee I haven't played the love album in a while" and I opened up Itunes and right as I type this I'm playing the love album version of the song, and yes it IS gorgeous. The strings just make it so haunting, added with the clarity of George's voice, it makes it seem like he is right in the room with you, I've got chills.

However I do also like the original. Even if Eric Clapton's guitar solo is a little overblown, its beautiful, and so depressing/ haunting and its fun to blast really loud lol! When my dad first told me it was Clapton playing and not George or any of the other Beatles I couldn't believe him lol!

I'm one of those indecisive people though. When I hear new versions of songs I love I can never decide which one I like better, especially when it comes to the beatles. So my Ipod will have like 3 different versions of the same song in some cases lol!

And completely off topic... its so hard to believe the Love album came out a year ago!! It still feels like yesterday that my parents drove me to the mall immediately after school so I could buy the album. And how my dad gave me some more money so I could buy the two cd version just because he wanted to hear it in DTS sound
Old Nov 10, 2007, 09:51 AM   #22
Legs
Sun King

Even had the live versions of the tracks been included on the poll I wouldn't have voted for them. Not that they are not great, but indeed most of the times they sound like the studio version without ever really re-creating the magic of the original imo. I can see someone voting for a live version because of an extra great guitar solo by Eric tho.

For me it will always be a dificult choise between the original demo with just George and the Beatles version. No disrespect to George Martin, I am sure he has worked on Love with love and respect, and it's also a beautiful verson but I hardly listen to the "Love" cd anymore, and I don't see it as part of the original Beatles legacy. In the end we are lucky I guess that we can choose between three great versions of this special song.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:32 AM   #23
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

That was tough. From the first time I heard the demo version from the Anthology I immediately preferred it to the white album version. The white album one is fantastic, and was always one of my favourite Beatles songs, but the Anthology demo is simply beautiful and sends shivers down my spine. Then came the Love album with the re-workd demo which is beautiful too, and is what made this hard for me. In the end I chose the Anthology version as it is pure and simple, and yet absolutely stunning.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:52 PM   #24
Georgie Girl
Sun King

I first heard the Anthology version while watching the end
of one of the videos, and the credits were rolling with this
beautiful song playing. It just knocked me out. And I love
the White Album version, too, for me the highlight of the first cd.
It was very hard to decide.

So I voted twice.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 02:41 PM   #26
darkhorse
Sun King

I think Clapton's solo is one of the most brilliant moment in the history of popular music. I see it as perfectly adjusted to the tone of the song, he makes the guitar weep, and gently. For that solo only, the studio version wins... and it is one of my favorite recordings ever, by anyone.

The demo version is haunting as well... and the Love version was beautiful but I agree with Legs... I hardly listen to the Love CD anymore.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 05:36 PM   #27
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I think Clapton's solo is one of the most brilliant moment in the history of popular music. I see it as perfectly adjusted to the tone of the song, he makes the guitar weep, and gently. For that solo only, the studio version wins... and it is one of my favorite recordings ever, by anyone.
Amen!
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:03 AM   #28
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post

The demo version is haunting as well... and the Love version was beautiful but I agree with Legs... I hardly listen to the Love CD anymore.
I think the LOVE one will be just a 'moment in paradise' and will fade away.

As for Clapper's contribution, yes I agree. Now we all have those other versions so we can compare but when the White Album was released it was THE moment of the album.

Name one more song of the White Album which lasts with so much attention after all these years. And yes Clapton made it wheep because George was too shy then but got his friend in.

Some here say Clapton came too much in front well I very much disagree. I think in all the time he did the song with George also on stage he was always just like George was on other's records...in the background...Eric never tried to steal the show and always - to me - was very much a friend to George and knew why George wanted him there and for what.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:52 PM   #29
jesgear
Sun King

LOVE

... although, I don't mind Clapton's performance on the White Album version at all.

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 06:52 AM   #30
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

I like them all... but my favorite is the anthology one... it's just so... simple...
Just George and his guitar, plus he sings it beautifully
Would you like to do it too?

You and I, country dreamer
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote