BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Aug 09, 2004, 12:52 AM   #1
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

Default Ringo in Florida!! NOT!

Check here for a good laugh:
http://www.staugustine.com/stories/0..._2493536.shtml

it really sounds like it was only the reporter(s) who thought it was Ringo.
"He had the accent and the beard." so apparently the guy was even playing the part!

If for arguments sake that was Ringo, then he looks like he just ate Paul! Not to mention that he's grown taller with age and his nose has apparently shrunk a little. who woulda thought.

BTW, the link came from the Abbey Road news page. this is what they had to say:
(8/9/04) A man identified as Ringo surprised the locals in St. Augustine, Fla., last week with a surprise appearance at a local museum, played the piano at a ballroom, and made other appearances in the area, reported St. Augustine.com, which carried a picture of a man who didn't look a whole lot like our Mr. Starr. We received word from a source close to Ringo that the real Ringo was in England last week, not Florida. So the Florida Ringo was a fake, according to our sources.
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:11 AM   #2
AnyRoad69
Banned

Default Re: Ringo in Florida!! NOT!

not times a good joke

a blind sees that that it is not Ringo
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:18 AM   #3
AnotherGirl83
Wild Honey Pie

[ QUOTE ]
HariScruff_00 Posted:
Check here for a good laugh:
http://www.staugustine.com/stories/0..._2493536.shtml

it really sounds like it was only the reporter(s) who thought it was Ringo.
"He had the accent and the beard." so apparently the guy was even playing the part!

If for arguments sake that was Ringo, then he looks like he just ate Paul! Not to mention that he's grown taller with age and his nose has apparently shrunk a little. who woulda thought.

BTW, the link came from the Abbey Road news page. this is what they had to say:
(8/9/04) A man identified as Ringo surprised the locals in St. Augustine, Fla., last week with a surprise appearance at a local museum, played the piano at a ballroom, and made other appearances in the area, reported St. Augustine.com, which carried a picture of a man who didn't look a whole lot like our Mr. Starr. We received word from a source close to Ringo that the real Ringo was in England last week, not Florida. So the Florida Ringo was a fake, according to our sources.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Oh dear... And "If for arguments sake that was Ringo, then he looks like he just ate Paul! " hahaha!
AnotherGirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 05:12 AM   #4
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

That's terrible, Ringo doesn't look a thing like that photo! There are people in my neighborhood who look more like Ringo than this guy. sheesh.
One_Sweet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 05:48 AM   #5
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
HariScruff_00 Posted:

If for arguments sake that was Ringo, then he looks like he just ate Paul!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing! I haven't seen many pictures of Ringo lately, but I know he certainly hasn't gained a pot belly like that yet. When I enlarged the photo, it didn't even look like Ringo at ALL... the poor writers are going to be pretty embarrassed when they realize the truth.
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

Come on! What is wrng with those writers?!

That man doesn't look like Ringo... Ringo is so much handsome than that guy!
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 11:31 AM   #7
twovirgins
Sun King

OMG thats not RINGO its ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 11:33 AM   #8
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

One Beard and One Accent doth not Ringo Make.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:34 PM   #9
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

I think they've had a little too much sun.
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2004, 09:14 PM   #10
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

[ QUOTE ]
DizzymissLizzy909 Posted:
I was thinking the same thing! I haven't seen many pictures of Ringo lately, but I know he certainly hasn't gained a pot belly like that yet. When I enlarged the photo, it didn't even look like Ringo at ALL... the poor writers are going to be pretty embarrassed when they realize the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, its bad enough when if, say, your with friends and you think you see someone famous and start having a fit... only to have your buddies laugh because the "celebrity" isn't really the celebrity-- BUT these people printed it in their paper for all the world to laugh at them. not just the locals who usually read the paper but any of us who find it on the world wide web.

I can't wait for the retraction- on page 29C: "uh.. you know how we said we saw Ringo. well um, oops."
i also wish we could see (the real) Ringo's reaction.
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:30 AM   #11
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

It isn't Ringo, that's been confirmed. Per a post by Jorie Gracen to a friend's Ringo list: OK. I was told by Ringo's publicist that the photo is NOT Ringo in St
Augustine. It is Jean Reno (French actor).

I am sure that more info saying it is NOT Ringo will appear very soon...but anyway, it's not him.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 06:02 AM   #12
jtal909
Sun King

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:00 AM   #13
beatlelover45223

how goofy are those people, it must have been the heat and the sun , as bangs said "a big snout and beard, do not a Ringo make" Susan said this is a french actor,didn't the accent give him away? never mind that pot belly.
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:00 PM   #14
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

They must be kicking themselves now!!
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:01 PM   #15
BeatlesFlip
Apple Scruff

Notice that in the picture, 'Ringo' is wearing a shirt that has a picture of a Volkswagen Beetle.

BeatlesFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:11 PM   #16
The Blue Meanie
Little Child

"You've got little bits of Ringo Starr on your hands"
The Blue Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:32 PM   #17
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:
It isn't Ringo, that's been confirmed. Per a post by Jorie Gracen to a friend's Ringo list: OK. I was told by Ringo's publicist that the photo is NOT Ringo in St
Augustine. It is Jean Reno (French actor).

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTF And here Jean Reno was probably thinking Wow, I've never gotten THIS much attention when people recognized me!
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:35 PM   #18
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Here's the follow-up article (and the pic of "the impostor" doesn't look like Ringo OR Jean Reno, if you ask me):

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/0..._2500954.shtml

It turns out the Ringo Starr sighting in St. Augustine last Thursday was really a man starring in a hoax, according to Sgt. Steve Fricke of the St. Augustine Police Department.

A man with a beard, round sunglasses, a gold cross dangling from his ear and a British accent stayed at the Casa Monica Hotel last Thursday.

He even gave out autographs and appeared to shun media attention.

At the time, Joni Barkley, the hotel's director of sales and marketing, said the man was Ringo Starr, the legendary drummer of The Beatles.

Other celebrities, including John Travolta and the Spanish royal family, have stayed at the downtown hotel, which added an air of authenticity to the man's appearance.

Two stories with a photograph ran in The St. Augustine Record on Friday and Saturday. Other media also covered the news.

Fricke said Monday that he responded to media inquiries from England and found Starr had not been in St. Augustine at all.

"I talked to several sources to confirm it," Fricke said. "We are normally contacted when someone with a prominent background is in town. We were not contacted and that was the first indication something was amiss."

Elizabeth Freund, of Elizabeth Freund Public Relations in New York, told The Record that she is in charge of Starr's public relations and he was not in St. Augustine.

"He was not in Florida at all. I have no idea who that was, but he wasn't Ringo Starr," Freund said.

She said she heard there was a man pretending to be Starr in St. Augustine through e-mails and phone calls. She said she does not know of a Starr impostor in Florida.

Barkley would not comment Monday on the possibility that the man was not Starr. She said she could not give out any information about hotel guests.

A freelance reporter and photographer for The Sun, a newspaper in England, said they traveled to St. Augustine to do a story on Starr impostors they have found in Florida.

Fricke said St. Augustine Police are not investigating the Starr impersonator any further because he did not appear to break any laws.

"At this point we're making sure that no one in the community was scammed or harmed, other than a couple of people getting their hearts broken, which is kind of cruel," Fricke said.

During his stay in St. Augustine, the man was seen at the Lightner Museum, the Tradewinds Tropical Lounge and Grill and in the Casa Monica ballroom, where he played the opening of "Lean on Me" on a hotel piano.

He signed a few autographs and posed for photos with local people.

Angie Labutti, a waitress and bartender at Tradewinds, took a picture with Starr and watched him perform the Beatles' song "Boys" Thursday night with the Tradewinds house band.

"I thought he sounded exactly like Ringo Starr," Labutti said. "I was a huge fan of The Beatles in high school. I had their posters, I read their books."

She said the man never called himself Starr.

"He never said he was Ringo Starr. He never said he wasn't when people called him that," Labutti said.

She said she doesn't care either way if the man she met wasn't Starr.

"I think it's cool I met a guy that looks just like him."
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:10 PM   #19
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

[ QUOTE ]
twovirgins Posted:
OMG thats not RINGO its ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How on earth could anyone even come close to thinking that that is good ol' Ring?
luvsthebeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 05:06 PM   #20
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Wait -- the plot thickens! The guy is apparently a con man!!!

Here are several articles. The first one from the Sun contains some pics, but I can't copy them to post them here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004370864,00.html

Ringer Starr on the run

From BRIAN FLYNN
in New York

A RINGO Starr lookalike conning his way across America was on the run last night — after being exposed by The Sun.

The trickster created a new wave of Beatlemania as he checked into hotels in the pop legend’s name — complete with four fake minders.

The man who thinks he is a dead Ringo-er for the pop legend also fooled a major TV station into booking him for a two-hour live special.

He also duped a band into letting him play a Beatles song with them on stage, signed autographs for swooning fans as “Ringo” and stunned guests at a posh hotel with a dodgy rendition of Let It Be.

A local newspaper was so convinced when the fake Beatle hit town it made him front-page news.

But the brazen conman, who mimicked Ringo’s Liverpool accent, was eventually sussed — because he was about five stone overweight.

An executive with the TV station that booked him saw a picture of the impostor and became instantly suspicious.

He sent it to a photographer with The Sun, who confirmed it was NOT the real Ringo.

The quick-thinking TV exec then rang Ringo’s mansion in Surrey — and was stunned when the furious 64-year-old star answered.

America’s Home Shopping Network had planned a special called Celebrate the Sixties with Ringo Starr.

The channel plugged Sunday’s show for a week beforehand. But with just hours to go, it pulled the programme to flog ’60s memorabilia and replaced it with a slot selling pots and pans.

An insider said: “This man was very convincing. So many people have been fooled.” She added: “When we sussed him, we told the guy to pack his bags and get out of town.”

The source said the fake Ringo was booked for the Florida-based station after a call from a man in Las Vegas, who called himself Norman Karp and claimed to be the star’s manager.

A newspaper in St Augustine, Florida, spent three days tracking the lookalike before putting him on the front with the headline Starr Gazing.

Thrilled townsfolk told the paper how they had spotted “Ringo” slinking around the town, enjoying the sights.

Museum gift shop assistant Marge Kirk said: “He had the accent and the beard.”

Fan Jennifer Richardson said: “He took two minutes of his life and made mine.”

The conman played Let It Be at the town’s plush Casa Monica hotel, where he was staying.

But he saved his finest “performance” for the Trade Winds Bar. He jumped on stage to join house band Matanzas and led a rendition of Beatles song Boys.

Fans told how he bragged he was drummer Ringo — and urged them to be generous with the TIPS.

Stunned lead singer Troy Locke yesterday STILL refused to believe he’d been had.

He said: “I was getting ready to go on and one of his entourage came up and said, ‘Would you like to meet Ringo Starr?’ I turned round and there he was.

“He sang Boys and played drums. He said he was in town buying stained glass for his home in California and that they were trying to keep his visit quiet.

“He had the whole entourage, the British accent and the famous earring.

“Who the hell would come in here looking like Ringo Starr, in a purple shirt, and sounding like him?”

Fan Marie Labutti, 31, had her picture taken in the club with the conman — and was gutted last night after the truth was revealed.

The waitress said: “I’m a huge Beatles fan and know what he looks like.

“It was always a dream to meet one of the group. This has been a real blow.”

But not everyone was surprised about the impostor.

Head barman Mike Richardson said: “He played the drums and was really good.

“I guess we should have known then that he was not the real Ringo Starr.”

St. Augustine Record editor Jim Blatzelle admitted yesterday: “We were fooled.

“Many celebrities visit our city so it wasn’t impossible that Ringo Starr was here.

“But we now accept what the police department are saying, that he was an impostor. I’d sure like to track that man down.”

Detective Commander Steve Fricke said: “At the moment we don’t have any victims out of money.

“Instead, there are just people who had their dreams smashed because they thought they had met Ringo Starr.

“We are making inquiries to find if anyone was conned out of money, and if so we will definitely be issuing an arrest warrant.”

He added: “This is not the first time this has happened here. We had someone claiming to be from The Doobie Brothers last year.

“We are normally contacted when someone with a prominent background is in town.

“We were not contacted on this occasion and that was the first indication something was amiss.”

A spokeswoman for Ringo said last night: “He was not in Florida at all. I have no idea who that man was, but he wasn’t Ringo Starr.”

http://www.southflorida.com/news/sfl-ringoaug11,0,7973316.story?coll=sfe-news-wire

From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel

St. Augustine fans learn 'Ringo Starr' was a hoax

World Entertainment News Network

August 11 2004

ST. AUGUSTINE -- A Ringo Starr look-alike who signed autographs and posed with locals turned out to be an imposter, according to reports in the St. Augustine Record.

The fake Starr also conned the Home Shopping Network into booking him for a two-hour special.

A TV executive from the network realized the channel's forthcoming celebrity guest 'Ringo Starr' was not the real thing when his assistant showed him a photo of the copycat and realized he was heavier than the genuine rocker.

The executive phoned Starr's English home number and was shocked when the 64-year-old answered, who was amazed to hear he was apparently in America at the same time.

The channel plugged the program Celebrate The Sixties With Ringo Starr for a week, but after the executive realized they were being conned, it was replaced at the last minute by a '60s memorabilia show.

During his trip to St Augustine, the fake Starr entertained guests at the Casa Monica Hotel with his own rendition of Let It Be.

After joining local band Matanzas at the nearby Tradewinds Bar, "Starr" urged fans to be generous with the tips.

Local detective Steve Fricke says, "At the moment we don't have any victims out of money.

"Instead there are just people who had their dreams smashed because they thought they had met Ringo Starr. We are making inquiries to find if anyone was conned out of money and if so we will definitely be issuing an arrest warrant."

The real Starr's spokeswoman remarks, "He was not in Florida at all. I have no idea who that man was, but he wasn't Ringo Starr."

Two stories with a photograph ran in The St. Augustine Record on Friday and Saturday. Other media also covered the news.

The St. Augustine Record reports that Angie Labutti, a waitress and bartender at Tradewinds, took a picture with Starr and watched him perform the Beatles' song "Boys" Thursday night with the Tradewinds house band.

"I thought he sounded exactly like Ringo Starr," Labutti is quoted as saying. "I was a huge fan of The Beatles in high school. I had their posters, I read their books."

She told the paper she doesn't care if the man she met wasn't Starr.

"I think it's cool I met a guy that looks just like him."
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote