BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > New Products > The Remasters

Old Nov 03, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

Exclamation Official: Beatles Remasters Go Digital w/ Limited USB Drive Release

***BEATLES.COM OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***

***Beatles Examiner LINK 1***
***Beatles Examiner LINK 2***

and this from WogBlog:
"Following the September 9 (9-9-09) debut of The Beatles’ digitally re-mastered catalogue on CD, Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are pleased to announce the worldwide release of a limited edition of only 30,000 Beatles Stereo USB apples on December 7 (December 8 in North America).

The exquisitely crafted, apple-shaped USB drive is loaded with the critically acclaimed re-mastered audio for The Beatles’ 14 stereo titles, as well as all of the re-mastered CDs’ visual elements, including 13 mini-documentary films about the studio albums, replicated original UK album art, rare photos and expanded liner notes.

A specially designed Flash interface has been installed, and the 16GB USB’s audio and visual contents will be provided in FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit and MP3 320 Kbps formats, fully compatible with PC and Mac."

Nice pics of the USB Drives at all of these links.

Last edited by JonnyLytnin : Nov 03, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:01 PM   #2
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

I can't imagine how much apple would be charging for these. Probably the same amount as the stereo box.

"I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly." - Peter Cook
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

In the Official Beatles Store it is listed as £200.00 (UK) and $279.99 (US).
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

This is practical!

By the way, I was being sarcastic.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2009, 02:43 PM   #5
biglou114
Bulldog

In all honestly I feel like this type of thing should've been included in the Stereo box set. It would have been more of an incentive for people to buy the set rather than the albums alone. I don't think this will be a very successful venture, after all the stereo box can be had for $60 less. And in my opinion, why buy digitally when you can buy it physically?

"I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly." - Peter Cook
Old Nov 04, 2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou114 View Post
And in my opinion, why buy digitally when you can buy it physically?
That used to be my feeling on the subject, but if you look at things from an environmental point of view, it kind of makes sense to go digital. Sure, a lot of albums out there (the Remasters included) are being packaged in more environmentally-friendly containers (no more bulky plastic jewel cases!) but digital distribution in its purest form requires no packaging. It's an attractive thing in that respect. I understand the allure.

However, I don't think the people at Apple and/or EMI were thinking purely about the environment when they came up with this idea. (Although money is green...)

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2009, 03:41 PM   #7
62hofner

Environmental-enshmironmental!

Someday, what? They'll plant a chip in our brains and we press a button inserted in our necks to play our music?

Give me a tangible THING that I can collect, and store, and hold in my hand any day. It was enough to give up the gatefold LP cover with all its art and inserts, etc. At least CD's give you a booklet and other little doo-dads.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2009, 03:55 PM   #8
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Maybe they should have announced this before 090909 so people could decide what they wanted to buy. With the remasters AND Rockband I doubt many people have another 300 dollars laying around. And what about all those casual fans who only know/want a few songs? Like R_R said, this is not practical at all.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2009, 04:40 PM   #9
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post

Someday, what? They'll plant a chip in our brains and we press a button inserted in our necks to play our music?

Give me a tangible THING that I can collect, and store, and hold in my hand any day. It was enough to give up the gatefold LP cover with all its art and inserts, etc. At least CD's give you a booklet and other little doo-dads.
Most spot-on post ever. Digital downloads are worthless. This apple piece of crap (a crapple?) is gonna be a flop--nobody wants to pay more for a glorified flash disk than for an attractive box set with 17 discs, booklets, etc. What's the audience for this? People who want the remasters will buy the CDs and people who want digital downloads probably don't want the full catalog.

As I've said before, I realize I'm fighting a losing battle, but I genuinely hope that the Beatles' catalog never becomes available as digital downloads; and I don't understand why anyone here would be remotely interested if it happens...unless Apple throws in some album-only iTunes bonus tracks which would be a total insult to fans.

LOLZ, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. So yeah...this is lame.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Nov 04, 2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Fighting Irish
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
Most spot-on post ever. Digital downloads are worthless. This apple piece of crap (a crapple?) is gonna be a flop--nobody wants to pay more for a glorified flash disk than for an attractive box set with 17 discs, booklets, etc. What's the audience for this? People who want the remasters will buy the CDs and people who want digital downloads probably don't want the full catalog.

As I've said before, I realize I'm fighting a losing battle, but I genuinely hope that the Beatles' catalog never becomes available as digital downloads; and I don't understand why anyone here would be remotely interested if it happens...unless Apple throws in some album-only iTunes bonus tracks which would be a total insult to fans.

LOLZ, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. So yeah...this is lame.
The only advantage I really see is the availability of 24-bit FLAC files. These will be better-than CD quality. That is, if they're encoded straight from the digital master. If they're taken off CD, forget it - waste of money. Though I would assume Abbey Road is pretty peculiar about putting out a quality product.

The FLAC files, in this scenario, will be close to master quality (though they're encoded at 44 Khz rather than 96.

Hopefully, though, when the whole shebang hits iTunes, et al., the stuff will be available in FLAC and/or Apple Lossless (virtually the same thing). McCartney's last album was offered in both, as well as in 320K MP3.

Last edited by Fighting Irish : Nov 04, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: oh, and one more thing...
Fighting Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2009, 05:18 PM   #11
biglou114
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Irish View Post
The only advantage I really see is the availability of 24-bit FLAC files. These will be better-than CD quality. That is, if they're encoded straight from the digital master. If they're taken off CD, forget it - waste of money. Though I would assume Abbey Road is pretty peculiar about putting out a quality product.
Well my guess is it will be the copies of the files after they have been compressed down to the size they need to be for CDs. I can't imagine EMI or Apple letting us getting files that close to the actual masters.

Old Nov 04, 2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:

I know, I know... I was reaching... I guess I shouldn't try and justify everything Devil's Advocate style, eh?

I'm with you 100% -- for things like this the "thingyness" of it, having something tangible in my hands, it's still a big part of why I want them (as well as for the music). I was just throwing the environmental argument out there because maybe it's a consideration for some. Which it is -- really, it is, a lot of my friends have been buying from iTunes exclusively for years now for these reasons. But it's not for everyone.

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:42 AM   #13
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Amazing. Yet more remasters!
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:57 AM   #14
digdad
Sun King

Quote:

But what if that chip could also trick your brain into thinking you actually are holding and looking at that gatefold cover while you listen? What if it could make you think you are in Abbey Road studios watching the Beatles perform the songs? Endless possibilities...

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2009, 05:57 AM   #15
hibgal
Sun King

Default Beatles go digital with limited edition Apple USB

Beatles go digital with limited edition Apple USB

Limited to 30,000 drives, the "exquisitely crafted" drive will included The Beatles’ 14 stereo titles

by Nick Spence

No Apple iTunes debut yet, but The Beatles will be offering digital conversions of the recent digitally re-mastered catalogue on CD shortly via Apple Records and EMI.

Apple and EMI are set to release a "limited edition stereo USB" on 7 December, a day later in the US, apple shaped USB drive containing the well received Remasters.

Limited to 30,000 drives, the "exquisitely crafted" drive will included The Beatles’ 14 stereo titles, as well as all of the re-mastered CDs’ visual elements, including 13 mini-documentary films about the studio albums, replicated original UK album art, rare photos and expanded liner notes.

Sadly they appears no room for the mono Remasters, also released in September.

A specially designed Flash interface gives access to all the elements contained within. Weighing in at 16 GB, the USB’s audio and visual contents will be provided in lossless FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit and MP3 320 Kbps formats, fully compatible with Mac and PC. FLAC files can be played on a Mac using VLC player and burnt to disc using software such as Roxio Toast.

US Beatles fans will be expected to pay $279, while a limited number of drives will be available in the UK for around £200.

The USB drive includes:

• Please Please Me
• With The Beatles
• A Hard Day's Night
• Beatles For Sale
• Help!
• Rubber Soul
• Revolver
• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
• Magical Mystery Tour
• Yellow Submarine
• The White Album
• Abbey Road
• Let It Be
• Past Masters

Link to article

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:01 AM   #16
hibgal
Sun King

Default Good Gear Guide

Beatles due soon on USB -- but not from Apple

Apple Corps and EMI are releasing a remastered, special edition of Beatles tunes on an apple-shaped USB.

by Daniel Ionescu (PC World (US online)) 05/11/2009 02:25:00

EMI will release next month a collection of remastered Beatles albums on a special edition USB drive, to the joy of fans and geeks alike. The apple-shaped 16GB USB drive will be loaded with the remastered audio tracks from the Beatles' 14 albums, and will set you back a cool $330 (£200).

The Beatles' music catalog is not available for download (legally) anywhere on the Internet yet, something which always fuels speculation every time Apple holds a special music event. And no, the computer maker is not bringing the Beatles collection in the iTunes Store this time around, either.

To eliminate all confusion, the Beatles USB apple collection is a product of EMI Music and Apple Corps Ltd., not Apple, Inc. (the computer maker). It will arrive on December 7 (U.K.) and December 8 (U.S.) for US$330 (£200) and is now available for advance orders. Only 30,000 units of this limited edition USB stick will be available.

The Beatles apple-shaped 16GB USB drive holds 14 remastered albums (which debuted on CD in September) from the legendary band as well as a specially designed Flash interface (both PC and Mac compatible) which gives access to plenty of extra features such as liner notes, 13 mini-documentary films and rare photos (iTunes LP anyone?).

The Beatles USB apple is around US$50 more expensive than the CD counterpart of the remastered collection, with costs about US$280. However, audiophiles should be satisfied with the sound quality of the tracks on the Beatles apple USB. The audio files will be provided in FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit and MP3 320 Kbps formats.

Link to article

Link to PC World's article

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:31 AM   #17
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Mae View Post
I know, I know... I was reaching... I guess I shouldn't try and justify everything Devil's Advocate style, eh?
No sweat, Maggie Mae. It's cool to be environmentally conscious.

But the thought of some little trinket replacing a CD collection just isn't something I'd look forward to.

Someday, I'm sure they'll offer that "brain chip" with all your albums in it. But 'til then, I will lust over my box sets and special editions, etc.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:32 AM   #18
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
But what if that chip could also trick your brain into thinking you actually are holding and looking at that gatefold cover while you listen? What if it could make you think you are in Abbey Road studios watching the Beatles perform the songs? Endless possibilities...
LOL!!!!

Very funny - and forward-thinking - digdad!
Old Nov 09, 2009, 02:04 PM   #19
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Very pretty.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:59 PM   #20
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
This chip already exists. It's called ecstasy.

Yay!!!!!!