BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:29 PM   #61
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Gorgeous song and video... as I watch it, I can picture John adding some weird little twists to it... he would have absolutely adored working with Sean... can you even imagine??

Our girl Scruffie is the the Sweetheart of Menlove. Scruffie, you're like the Martin Luther King, while wilde and I are like Malcolm X and Stokely Carmichael! (I was just watching a doc about the Black Panthers, can't you tell? )
But it's so awesome having Malcolm and Stokely to bring the grit. If it was all bunnies and flowers this would be a whole other kind of board. Shoot, it might remind me of a different Beatle altogether. Snap I went there.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:24 AM   #62
hibgal
Sun King

Default Yawn

Poor Sean, not allowed to wear any hairstyle his dad ever had without getting the rap of not having any personality! I guess it's shaved head or green dye for him then since John tried so many different hair styles through the years (right, Scruffie? ). Note that Dhani (in photo posted this thread) is wearing his hair exactly the same way as Sean, as are MANY musicians from the 60s onward. It's easier to point to those who haven't at one time or another sported the shoulder length uncut look than those who have.

As to Yoko, Wilde is right. I was talking about hot as in temperature (weather!) not sexy. Not that I can see what the whole fuss is about anyway. Yoko wears her simple black blouse casually stylish and shows two inches more skin that some think she should be displaying at her age. *shrug*

I see NOTHING remarkable in that pic, either Sean OR Yoko. If I didn't know who it was, I'd say it was two people, probably relatives or fast friends, that feel quite comfy with each other. Besides, mental conditions can't be judged from a photograph.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend

Last edited by hibgal : Sep 02, 2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: I can't spell :/
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:28 AM   #63
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Besides, mental conditions can't be judged from a photograph.
Really?

Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:00 AM   #64
johncharles
Nowhere Man

ECK!
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:26 PM   #65
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

You know what I find to be sort of a double standard? Dhani has resembled his dad nearly to the hair (well, except for the chest hair and outie belly button) and everybody talks about it like it's a cool thing or a good thing. and he's been that way since the beginning. He might have sported a different facial hair for a while, but then, even his dad had creative facial hair on the early 70s too. The only negative I've seen is some little fan girls are sick of hearing it but other then that, it was an asset to him.

For Sean, to be a clone of his dad is criticized sharply like some sort of sin and I don't get the double standard.
Maybe Sean isn't trying to be like John. Maybe he's trying to be like Dhani in resembling one's father. (I don't really believe that but it was fun to type)
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:27 PM   #66
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Also, Julian is a son of John's who since he first arrived on the scene was compared with looking and sounding like his dad. No one seemed to think that was a liability either. Once again, why the double standard?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:41 PM   #67
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Now you wanna bring Dhani and Julian into the discussion? How about one psychoanalysis at a time.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:40 PM   #68
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
You know what I find to be sort of a double standard? Dhani has resembled his dad nearly to the hair (well, except for the chest hair and outie belly button) and everybody talks about it like it's a cool thing or a good thing. and he's been that way since the beginning. He might have sported a different facial hair for a while, but then, even his dad had creative facial hair on the early 70s too. The only negative I've seen is some little fan girls are sick of hearing it but other then that, it was an asset to him.

For Sean, to be a clone of his dad is criticized sharply like some sort of sin and I don't get the double standard.
Maybe Sean isn't trying to be like John. Maybe he's trying to be like Dhani in resembling one's father. (I don't really believe that but it was fun to type)
It would obviously be the other way around since Sean is older.

I don't think any of these poor boys are trying to do anything but exist to make their own art and possibly gain their own fans from their efforts. I guess James sort of enjoys the connection, Dhani obviously was close to his dad and has great pride, and Sean is absolutely proud and says it over and over: it isn't a burden being John's son because he is nothing if not blessed and grateful to have had a father that was not only a songwriting genius, but one of the greatest pioneers of the fundamentals of what rock music is today, and the leader of THE greatest band of all time. I mean...shoot, even Julian shouts it out to the high hills.

Personally, I think people tolerate Dhani because they don't have a problem with the George/Olivia union as they do the John/Yoko. It's an issue with people and, as I was talking to my best friend the other day, it's a SAD/hot mess that this world is still so full of racism. Yep, I pulled the card. Because no matter what, for every 10 reasons people have to 'hate' Yoko, there'll always be about 3 or 4 that flatly point out something derogatory about her being Asian...

And Sean is a mix of that. So people will cover it up with, "He's such a hipster d0uch*" or "what a pretentious fool" but then, a few statements later, they'll say something that is essentially a mockery of his being Yoko's son, therefore it can't be helped.

Ignorant. Sick. Stupid. Thick. I don't know what else to say about it...

Dhani is no less a hipster and, personally having seen him live, he's nothing incredible. But people will always be more inclined to accept Dhani because no one has any issues with Olivia...not that they should because Olivia is truly lovely, but still...Yoko's child will always be the easier one to judge. Just upon observation.

And also upon observation: Sean Lennon is flawless in concert, has a beautifully harmonic voice that was made to sing pop/folk rock, has a hilarious/energetic/charming stage presence, and is a SWEETHEART to his fans.

So all the Sean haters can STAY PRESSED.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 02, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:38 AM   #69
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Sean kept trying to defend his look on that clip posted where he and Yoko were trying to talk about fracking. "Did my dad wear bow ties? Did he wear these glasses?"
and Yoko kept interjecting, "Yes."
"Did my dad drop acide, snort cocaine and do heroine ?"

"Did my dad ever cheat on you ?"

Last edited by ABCKO : Sep 03, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:59 AM   #70
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
"Did my dad drop acide, snort cocaine and do heroine ?"

"Did my dad ever cheat on you ?"
what? What does John's drug use and extracurricular activities have to do with Sean asking about his choice in clothes?
Dhani's dad snorted cocain, dropped acid (and Dhani openly talked about a fight they had once where that came up) and cheated too.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:37 AM   #71
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Dhani's dad snorted cocain, dropped acid (and Dhani openly talked about a fight they had once where that came up) and cheated too.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:15 PM   #72
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Busted by the Spelling Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
"Did my dad drop acide, snort cocaine and do heroine
I suppose one could call Cynthia, May or Yoko heroines. It would be a stretch, but...one person's heroine is another person's fame wh*re, right?

To which one did you refer, Abcko?

--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:29 PM   #73
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
It would obviously be the other way around since Sean is older.

I don't think any of these poor boys are trying to do anything but exist to make their own art and possibly gain their own fans from their efforts. I guess James sort of enjoys the connection, Dhani obviously was close to his dad and has great pride, and Sean is absolutely proud and says it over and over: it isn't a burden being John's son because he is nothing if not blessed and grateful to have had a father that was not only a songwriting genius, but one of the greatest pioneers of the fundamentals of what rock music is today, and the leader of THE greatest band of all time. I mean...shoot, even Julian shouts it out to the high hills.

Personally, I think people tolerate Dhani because they don't have a problem with the George/Olivia union as they do the John/Yoko. It's an issue with people and, as I was talking to my best friend the other day, it's a SAD/hot mess that this world is still so full of racism. Yep, I pulled the card. Because no matter what, for every 10 reasons people have to 'hate' Yoko, there'll always be about 3 or 4 that flatly point out something derogatory about her being Asian...

And Sean is a mix of that. So people will cover it up with, "He's such a hipster d0uch*" or "what a pretentious fool" but then, a few statements later, they'll say something that is essentially a mockery of his being Yoko's son, therefore it can't be helped.

Ignorant. Sick. Stupid. Thick. I don't know what else to say about it...

Dhani is no less a hipster and, personally having seen him live, he's nothing incredible. But people will always be more inclined to accept Dhani because no one has any issues with Olivia...not that they should because Olivia is truly lovely, but still...Yoko's child will always be the easier one to judge. Just upon observation.

And also upon observation: Sean Lennon is flawless in concert, has a beautifully harmonic voice that was made to sing pop/folk rock, has a hilarious/energetic/charming stage presence, and is a SWEETHEART to his fans.

So all the Sean haters can STAY PRESSED.

Thank you girl, thank you girl....
My guy and I have had the pleasure of seeing Sean in LA probably over 5 years ago now. I wasn't sure what to expect, but he put on a REALLY good show. Even my guy, who has no dogs in this hunt, walked away impressed. And my guy has impeccable taste in music (and woman, ha!)

Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:05 PM   #74
John's lover girl
Dr. Robert

Send a message via Yahoo to John's lover girl Send a message via Skype™ to John's lover girl

nice gif scruff
‎alchemy the science of understanding deconstructing and reconstructing matter however it is not an all powerful art it is impossible to create something out of nothing is one wishes to obtain something something of equal value must be given. this is the law of equivalent exchange. the bases of all alchemy in accordance with this law there is a taboo among alchemists human transmutation is strictly forbidden for what could be the value of a human soul- full metal alchemist

Last edited by John's lover girl : Sep 03, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
John's lover girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:24 PM   #75
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
what? What does John's drug use and extracurricular activities have to do with Sean asking about his choice in clothes?
Yep.

Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:56 PM   #76
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
I don't know why David Tennant would agree with this?
Is this a, who was the worse Beatles dad thread? Just the first sentence would have been enough.

To answer the original question,
yes when I saw the picture I thought it was a bit strange. Just a little bit yes.
But it's nothing against Sean or Yoko, just a bit strange as if time stood still and it was a picture of John and Yoko from back then. I don't have a need to go much deeper then that, nor to judge Sean from looking like he wants to look, or Yoko for whatever reason.

Last edited by Legs : Sep 05, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:33 PM   #77
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
I don't know why David Tennant would agree with this?
Is this a, who was the worse Beatles dad thread? Just the first sentence would have been enough.

To answer the original question,
yes when I saw the picture I thought it was a bit strange. Just a little bit yes.
But it's nothing against Sean or Yoko, just a bit strange as if time stood still and it was a picture of John and Yoko from back then. I don't have a need to go much deeper then that, nor to judge Sean from looking like he wants to look, or Yoko for whatever reason.
I don't know who David Tennant is, but no, it's not a contest in whose the worst Beatle dad. It's about that double standard i brought up earlier regarding Sean vs Julian and Dhani. It's been okay for Julian and Dhani to look and sound like their dads but not Sean. I don't get it.
Then I brought up part of the video where Sean kept asking, "Did my dad wear bow ties?" and such with Yoko saying yes about everything Sean asked if John wore.
ABKO then brought up questions about John's drug use and cheating and I pointed out that once again there is a double standard regarding Sean's Dad and Dhani's dad
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:32 PM   #78
VersusBatman
Sun King

David Tennant played Doctor Who.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:48 AM   #79
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Post Sean and Julian

Quote:
Also, Julian is a son of John's who since he first arrived on the scene was compared with looking and sounding like his dad. No one seemed to think that was a liability either. Once again, why the double standard?
Good question, misfittoy.

I guess that Julian doesn't give the impression to "copy" the look of his dad; neither with clothes, hat, beard, nor glasses. He "only" looks physically like John, fullstop.

Sean is a different matter. Of course he also looks physically like John and I don't think that anyone blames him for that. But he (consciously or unconsciously) strongly gives the impression to emphasize the resemblence with his dad and this isn't everyone's taste, I'm afraid.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:06 AM   #80
johncharles
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Sean is a different matter. Of course he also looks physically like John and I don't think that anyone blames him for that. But he (consciously or unconsciously) strongly gives the impression to emphasize the resemblence with his dad and this isn't everyone's taste, I'm afraid.

Snoopy

I'm not too sure if that is the same hat.

Not to say that Sean looks particularly like his father while wearing John's things in these photos, but I completely understand your point Snoopy. I could see why people do feel that Sean makes an effort conscious or not to look like his father at times.

Last edited by johncharles : Sep 06, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
johncharles is offline   Reply With Quote