BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 08, 2005, 05:47 AM   #1
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Remembering John Lennon: Exclusive Ono Interview

Here's an article from our local news radio station's (WINS) website -- 1010WINS.com. There's some interesting Beatles trivia at the end. If you go to the site itself there's also a link for an exclusive audio interview with Yoko that you can download as an mp3/podcast -- I can't reproduce that here. (Please do not get on my butt for blanking out the killer's name -- as I said before, I don't really care to use it, it's my personal preference.)

http://1010wins.com/topstories/local...view=342094124

Remembering John Lennon: Exclusive Ono Interview

Dec 8, 2005 8:34 am US/Eastern

Late on the night of Dec. 8, 1980, John Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, had just returned home when shots rang out.

Lennon was hit four times in the back. He fell to the ground, mortally wounded.

The gunman, 25-year-old M*** D**** C******, dropped his weapon and began reading a book.

Soon, a crowd of people, stunned and saddened, began forming outside Lennon's building.

"I walked outside and it was already an eerie sight," said Bob Herbert, a New York Times columnist who was a neighbor of Lennon's. "There was this soft sound because so many people had transistor radios, and the stations were already playing Beatles music. People were singing along to the music."

Six days later, at a memorial service in Central Park, an enormous crowd stood in absolute silence for 10 minutes -- a stunned silence that stood in stark contrast to the frenetic reaction Lennon received as one of the Beatles.

But, by 1980, he was already a decade removed from those Beatles days, and happy to be on his own. After a five-year break to raise his son Sean, he had just released a new album, "Double Fantasy."

"That's what he was expressing in the 'Double Fantasy' album, and the interviews he did in '80, kind of a grownup: 'Now I'm 40. Now I know how to live, and I'm looking forward to the future,' " said Bob Gruen, a friend and personal photographer of Lennon. "He used to say that all the time."

Lennon's Legacy
For Lennon, sadly, there would be no future.

"Most artists get to go on for another 40 years after they live," said Gruen, who recently published "John Lennon: The New York Years." "I try to think of the life and not the death."

Twenty-five years later, people who weren't even alive then still buy his albums, still cherish his music, still come to visit the Dakota, where John Lennon and lived and where he died.

Yoko Ono, now 72, still lives there, managing his estate and overseeing the release of new albums from his old recordings.

C****** was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. He pleaded guilty and is now serving a 20-year to life sentence in prison.

Beatles Trivia from Wikipedia
Trivia
"Dear Prudence" was written by John Lennon while The Beatles were in India visiting the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Among other celebrities attending the ashram at the same time as The Beatles were singer/songwriter Donovan, Mike Love of the Beach Boys, Mia Farrow and her sister Prudence, who was having a difficult stay. Prudence wouldn't come out of her hut so John played his guitar and serenaded her with the song lyrics, Dear Prudence... won't you come out to play?

The song "Octopus's Garden" was composed by Starr during a very brief interlude from the band. Upset with disagreements during the recording of The White Album, he went on a short cruise. When he returned the others welcomed him and his new song. The song was recorded for the 1969 Abbey Road album.

George Harrison co-operated with Eric Idle and Neil Innes by performing a cameo role in their the comedic TV film about The Rutles, a spoof documentary that affectionately satirised The Beatles' story and the way it had been related in the media. Innes created twenty pastiche Beatles songs with lyrics and titles (e.g. "Ouch!") that gently spoofed The Beatles song canon.

Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney (and his wife Linda), and George Harrison were all featured as guest characters on the animated TV show The Simpsons in different episodes over the years.

Following their breakup, the only album to feature all four Beatles (although not on the same song) was Ringo, a Starr solo album in 1973.

Ringo Starr narrated many of the TV episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine.

During 2005, Ringo Starr's drummer son Zak Starkey joined popular rock band Oasis, a group famous for its Beatlesque melodies. He had also been drummer for The Who since 1996, and has been noted for his similarity in performance to the late Keith Moon.

The Beatles were introduced to cannabis by Bob Dylan when they met him in their New York hotel room during their 1964 US tour.

It is estimated the band have sold far in excess of 1 billion records world-wide.

Two of The Beatles were left-handed. Paul is quite famous for it, but Ringo's left-handedness is not as well known because his drum kit was set up for a right-handed person. However, in A Hard Day's Night, he plays darts with his left hand.

The group's name was a combination word-play on "Beetles" (vs. "Crickets") and the word "beat" which in the late 1950's and early 1960's had both musical and pop-cultural connotations.

The press-given nickname, "The Fab (abbreviation for 'Fabulous') Four", stuck in the public consciousness. The fictional group "The Rutles" were described in the narration of their spoof 1978 documentary as "The Pre-Fab ('Pre-Fabricated') Four".

The Beatles famous rooftop performance at the Apple building (5 Saville Row) was halted by police after adjacent businesses made complaints.

The Vox amplifiers used by the band were nicknamed "Deaf Aids" by John Lennon. He referred to this in a joking song introduction("Two Of Us") heard on the album Let It Be.

Paul McCartney bought his London home (7 Cavendish Avenue, St. John's Wood) in 1965 for £40,000.

Paul McCartney wrote both 'Let It Be' & 'The Long and Winding Road' in the same day.

Paul wrote 'Yesterday' and co-wrote 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' with John, whilst living with his then-girlfriend Jane Asher at 57 Wimpole Street, London W.1.

There is a Beatles museum The Beatles Story in Liverpool, which relates the history of The Beatles - illustrated by a large amount of memorabilia and visual material.

An exhibition about John Lennon is being shown in Paris, from October 2005 for nine months. It is at the prestigious Cité de la Musique. It has been criticized by some for being too closely supervised by Yoko Ono and playing down The Beatles period. Others feel that as it is an exhibition of Lennon rather of The Beatles - the balance is fair.

In the 100 Greatest Britons poll conducted in the UK in 2002, George Harrison was ranked #62, Paul McCartney #19, and John Lennon #8.

The last official public concert The Beatles gave in the UK was on 12th December 1965. It took place in the Capitol Cinema in Cardiff, Wales. The venue has since been demolished and replaced with a shopping centre. (The Beatles' impromptu performance in January 1969 on the rooftop of their Apple offices was not a formal concert.)

Paul McCartney, who is one of the most famous left-handed musicians, is one of only a few that could play a right-handed guitar (or bass) upside down and reverse to accommodate himself.

© MMV Infinity Broadcasting Corp. All Rights Reserved
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote