BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:51 AM   #1
hibgal
Sun King

Exclamation Curfew for Paul!

Mostly about The Boss but stil Paul news since it was a double billing; or at least Paul was on stage! I could've found a better headline though. Here's at Yahoo but it's a general news article from Reuters so it doesn't much matter what site we're going with. I guess...

Springsteen storms through London marathon

By Angus MacSwan, Reuters, July 15, 2012

LONDON (Reuters) - An epic Bruce Springsteen concert in London's Hyde Park ended on Saturday with organisers pulling the plug with the singer and ex-Beatle Paul McCartney still on stage and playing at full throttle after more than three hours of music.

Springsteen had danced and worked the crowd with the energy of a man of half his 62 years, running through most of his classics before being joined by McCartney to rip through the Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There" and "Twist and Shout".

The pair were still singing for 65,000 rained-soaked but rapturous fans when the organisers turned off the microphones in line with an agreed 10.30 p.m. curfew.

The Hard Rock Calling festival was the New Jersey native's 45th show in a 67-date tour of North America and Europe tied to "Wrecking Ball", a new album full of angry songs about corporate greed and the plight of ordinary working men and women.

Unlike on other dates, when he has introduced new songs such as "Jack of All Trades" and "Shackled and Drawn" with commentaries on the economic crisis, he avoided political polemics for the most part in a city that has been rocked by a new round of banking scandals in the past month. The focus was on having a giant street party.

Springsteen opened with "Thunder Road", standing alone at the microphone accompanied only by pianist Roy Bittan. It was, he noted, the first song he had played in his debut appearance in London at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1975.

He followed that with "Badlands", the crowd singing along word for word and its apt refrain of "poor man wanna be rich, rich man wanna be king, and a king ain't satisfied 'til he rules everything". With "City of Ruins", he paid tribute to lost friends, notably Clarence Clemons, his longtime comrade in arms, saxophone player and stage foil, who died last year.

This was the E Street Band's first tour since then but Clarence's nephew Jake has stepped into his big shoes admirably.

A BEATLE AND THE BOSS

With a repetoire of the depth of Springsteen's, the hits are not necessarily the highlights. The relatively obscure "Johnny 99" became a rollicking romp with New Orleans style horns.

Several of the new songs are raucous Irish jigs with stinging lyics - "send the robber barons straight to hell, the greedy thieves who came around and ate the flesh of everything they found" he sang on "Death to my Hometown".

He also paid tribute to folk singer Woody Guthrie on the 100th anniversary of his birth, with "the Ghost of Tom Joad", a dustbowl ballad named for John Steinbeck's hero. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine added searing guitar.

Another star guest, former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman John Fogerty joined him for "Promised Land". The crowd, standing ankle-deep in mud as the rain lashed down, sang along to "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" then listened in hushed mood to a mournful "The River", his ballad of youth's crushed dreams.

The show climaxed with "Born in the USA" - the title track of the 1984 album that catapaulted him to superstardom, his anthem "Born to Run", and "Dancing in the Dark" before McCartney walked on.

"I've waited 50 years for this," Springsteen shouted.

Despite being a multi-millionaire, Springsteen has stuck to his image as champion of the underdog as well as master of ceremonies at the most exuberant of rock'n' roll parties. He never fails to give value for money - his show in Madrid on June 17 was the longest he has ever played, clocking in at 3 hours and 48 minutes. And he is still winning new fans.

"I'm a new convert," said Anna, a 25-year-old nurse from High Wycombe, as the crowd streamed away. "My dad was into him so I used to think he was uncool. I came with my dad tonight and now I see what all the fuss is about it."

(Reporting by Angus MacSwan; Editing by Patrick Graham)
Link to article

Hey, guys! I want more photos!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

Imo, whoever made the call to turn the mics off should be severely reprimanded.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Imo, whoever made the call to turn the mics off should be severely reprimanded.
For doing his job?
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Maia 66
Sun King

Yes, because the person "doing his job" (or her job), already let the show go over by 30 minutes, so obviously they had some discretion. A 2-minute warning would have been appropriate, allowing Macca and Bruce to say goodnight and thank you to the crowd. (And before you say "How do you know there was no warning?" I just heard an interview with Steve Van Zandt, who said there was no warning.)

Besides, I was just hyperbolizing...

Anyway, even the Tory mayor of London agreed with me:

Quote:
"It sounds to me like an excessively efficacious decision," he told London radio. "You won't get that during the Olympics. If they'd have called me, my answer would have been for them to jam in the name of the Lord!"

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Jul 15, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Yes, because the person "doing his job" (or her job), already let the show go over by 30 minutes, so obviously they had some discretion. A 2-minute warning would have been appropriate, allowing Macca and Bruce to say goodnight and thank you to the crowd. (And before you say "How do you know there was no warning?" I just heard an interview with Steve Van Zandt, who said there was no warning.)

Besides, I was just hyperbolizing...

Anyway, even the Tory mayor of London agreed with me:
I was being facetious. But how shitty would it be to get reprimanded for doing what you're supposed to do? And really, I've been to Bruce's marathon shows. Frankly it's excessive. After 3 hrs and two encores, I can live without one more rendition of Detroit Medley.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I think that it was a pretty lame thing to do, pulling the plug like that It's not like it was 3am or anything.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:17 PM   #7
beatlelover45223

It is a shame to pull the plug on a guest artist visiting the country, never mind Paul McCartney was up on stage!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:33 AM   #8
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Yeah there could have been a better way to handle that. At the very least they should have been advised that could happen instead of just abruptly stopping it

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:12 AM   #9
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
I was being facetious. But how shitty would it be to get reprimanded for doing what you're supposed to do? And really, I've been to Bruce's marathon shows. Frankly it's excessive. After 3 hrs and two encores, I can live without one more rendition of Detroit Medley.
What wrong with playing for over 3 hrs?Holy crap your getting your moneys worth and with Paul on stage!I've seen Bruce a bunch of times and have never heard Detroit Medley.I wish more acts would play that long and actually give a crap about their audience!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:19 AM   #10
ChrisG134
Sun King

There's a place by my house called Ravinia,it's been there for over 100 yrs. right next to very expensive houses and they have a curfew also.Why in the hell would you live next to it,and then bitch about the noise?!It's like moving next to an airport and complaining about the noise!Wrigley Field residence are the same way.Don't live near a noisy place and bitch about it!!