BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Come Together

Old Aug 17, 2003, 07:13 AM   #1
SF4-EVER

Default The Fest for Beatles Fans in Chicago--Update

Hi Folks,

I actually surfaced from the Fest long enough to check in. I saw several B-linkers yesterday. Some of them I've met before, like Kristi, Tina, Susan, Jim, Kristin, Rell, Lynner, kjrocks, and my co-mod BB. I also met some of them for the first time, such as beatlz and mccartneymaniac. Always good to meet a fellow B-linker. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I spent too much money (the way I always do), drooled over gorgeous photographs and prints I can't afford, listened to some of the speakers, cheered Kristin on in the Soundalike contest, and in general had the splendid time guarenteed for all. I took pictures of Kristi when she met Donovan, but I'll let her describe that. In another hour or so, we'll head back for some more fun. If I don't get home too late, I'll post another report. Hope to see more B-linkers today!

Sandra
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 07:47 AM   #2
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Default Re: The Fest for Beatles Fans in Chicago--Update

Sounds like you're having a great time! Come back with lots of stories for us who couldn't be there!
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:22 AM   #3
beatlelover45223

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] *thanks Sandra for checking in here and giving us an update, hope to hear all about it soon, glad you all are having so much fun [img]graemlins/clap1.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 07:48 PM   #4
SF4-EVER

Back again. Let's see...I continued to spend more money and [img]graemlins/drool.gif[/img] over the things I can't afford; saw more exhibits; went out to dinner with BB, Kristi, and my boyfriend; and watched the Battle of the Bands. Kristi and I left after the Battle, since I have to go to work tomorrow. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Then again, if the Fest ran for much longer, I'd go broke! It was good seeing other B-linkers at the Fest, and I hope the Chicago area B-linkers can get together before the next Fest in 2004.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:20 PM   #5
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

I just walked in a little while ago from the Fest, and I am TIRED but quite happy! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We had such a nice time this year. The crowd today seemed a little thinner than it usually is on Sunday--I have a feeling a lot of people might have opted to do BFest yesterday and went to the Air and Water Show downtown today since the weather was nicer. But it was great meeting up with all the fellow BeatleLinkers all weekend.

Anyway, we had a great time doing the fan fiction panels and poetry readings throughout the weekend. I sold a number of copies of my book too in the guest room...which helped me finance my purchases from the other vendors there. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

An update on our friend lennon4... Her artwork won 3rd place in the Art Contest voting, and her band the Beat Elles did fantastic during their time onstage during the Battle of the Bands this afternoon! So...hats off to her! [img]graemlins/clap1.gif[/img]

I hope everyone else had just as nice of a time there as I did. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 03:49 AM   #6
SF4-EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
An update on our friend lennon4... Her artwork won 3rd place in the Art Contest voting, and her band the Beat Elles did fantastic during their time onstage during the Battle of the Bands this afternoon! So...hats off to her! [img]graemlins/clap1.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Congrats, Kristin! [img]graemlins/clap1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clap2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clap3.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention that we watched the "Any Road" and "Never Without You" videos yesterday, as well as a John tribute (hosted by Casey Casem!) from 1980.

P.S. Susan said she won't be online until Thursday--she expects to get home late on Wednesday.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 04:26 AM   #7
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

cool. Congratulations. [img]graemlins/rocknroll2.gif[/img] I wish I could have been there.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:17 AM   #8
Lynner

I'm back as well. Met all of the linkers that Sandra mentioned. Sorry, Sandra that I missed meeting Eugene. Maybe I'll get to say Hello to him next time. We had a wonderful time at the convention. I got to hang out with my 'fest crowd and even got to meet up with my cousin, who "introduced" me to the Beatles many years ago. She brought her 12 year old daughter and we had a rockin' good time.
Congrats to Kristin on third place (I think you should have taken first) and congrats on your band performance. Very nice!

It appears that a good time was had by all. I'm already looking forward to next year's bash!
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 02:27 PM   #9
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I had a great time at Fest this year - much more fun than last year! Most of my time is spent talking and laughing (and, uh...eating and drinking) with friends, playing music and laughing. But I actually sat through Mark Hudson's talk on Saturday afternoon and he was just a riot! I think he's the last guest I sat all the way through since Victor Spinetti. He had some great Ringo stories and told a few things about having dinner at Olivia's before the concert for George....with Ringo and with Paul. Any rumors of rifts between them he dismissed categorically. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] He was so cool because even though he's worked with Ringo and had personal relationships with all four Beatles, he's just a big huge goofy fan just like all the rest of us. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kristin did well in the Battle of the Bands...I feel slightly responsible for them since I introduced her to her bass player! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There were a lot of professional bands in the competition and Kristin's band had only known each other for 3 days, so I'd say they MORE than held their own in the contest! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Next year some of my friends are going to try to get a band together....I hope we do as well as they did. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't buy much, but I never do....I got a Monty Python Spam T-shirt, 3 photos of Ringo from last Tuesday's show and a bootleg DVD from "The Room"....can't wait to get my DVD player back (Lynner's husband fixed it for me over the weekend! I owe him a beer! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) and watch it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The house band, Liverpool, was very good on Saturday and ok on Sunday. Their new bass player has a good voice and also seems to play well. I thought they sounded rejuvenated and had a much more adventurous set list ("Helter Skelter"???!!) than in prior years.

All in all, a good time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 05:11 PM   #10
Rellevart

Oh, and I forgot....it was great to see/meet all of you Beatlelinkers at our little Saturday morning meeting....SF4-ever, ImaginePeace78, lennon4, HMVNipper, JDanRyan, Dr. Dreamer, beatlegirl9977, mccartneymaniac and of course my "real life" buddies Lynner and kjrocks1.....can't wait to see the pictures!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Too bad the rest of you couldn't make it!
Old Aug 18, 2003, 05:51 PM   #11
kjrocks_1
Day Tripper

I had a fabulous time meeting everyone listed above in other posts. My Beatle baby Dawn (born Oct 9th) came to fest for the first time on Friday and hoping to introduce her to fellow linkers, did what babies do best - sleep [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mark Hudson was great, and congrats to Kristen on her art and music this weekend!
kjrocks_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 05:54 PM   #12
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Oh, and I forgot....it was great to see/meet all of you Beatlelinkers at our little Saturday morning meeting....SF4-ever, ImaginePeace78, lennon4, HMVNipper, JDanRyan, Dr. Dreamer, beatlegirl9977, mccartneymaniac and of course my "real life" buddies Lynner and kjrocks1.....can't wait to see the pictures!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Too bad the rest of you couldn't make it!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, I know we were expecting a lot more people. I still think that rope at the top of the stairs scared people off... the stairs to the lower level have NEVER been blocked off like that that late in the morning before the fest.
But it was great meeting up with everyone who did show up! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:02 PM   #13
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

Well, I'm finally able to get on the computer today and tell you all about the Fest For Beatles Fans experience this year! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I would've been on last night, but my aunt and uncle (and their 18 month old twin daughters and 5 week old baby) are staying with us for the entire week. So, no internet for me, except a little bit of time during the day. Anyway, on the Fest for Beatles Fans!
Saturday, Sandra and I, met a lot of other Beatlelinkers at 11 a.m. (before everything began). That was fun. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] After that, we hung at the Rooftop Sessions table with Susan, Jim, Tina and Kristin. Throughout the day, we saw the sound-a-like tryouts. Kristin did a great job! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Everyone who participated in that (and the Battle of the Beatle Bands) is so brave! You'd never see me up on stage singing, no way! LOL [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, we browsed through the market place (once on Saturday and once on Sunday). I spent more than I planned to--isn't that always the way? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I bought some very interesting items this year. I bought a John Lennon "Philosophy" calendar, a Beatles "White Album" pen, three magnets, a cool T-shirt that someone had made (what's funny about that is, I was wearing another shirt I bought a few years ago and they recognized it, so I bought another one of their cool shirts). For my aunt's 5 week-old baby, I bought her a the John Lennon "Carters" stuffed pink rattle elephant. So cute! I gave it to Samantha last night. She loves it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I also bought three CD's (I'm in the process of creating a Beatles solo mix CD and need a few CDs). I bought "Blast From Your Past," by Ringo Starr, "Sentimental Journey" by Ringo Starr, and "Ram" by Paul McCartney.
As Sandra mentioned earlier, we saw the "Any Road" video (very touching, my eye were moist afterward). That video was played twice, courtesy of "BB1964" starting the chant "Play it again!" And they did, how nice of them! We also saw the 1980 tribute to John Lennon narrated by Casey Kasim (sp). We saw the end of the Battle of the Beatle Bands. We wanted to make it back in time to see Kristin perform with her band "The Beat-Elles" but we ran late from dinner. We did see her band go up on stage while voting for the finals. You all looked great! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
The fan fiction panel discussion was fun, as usual. I enjoy going to that because it's interesting to hear all the different questions that people have about fan fiction. Plus, we may get some new writers and readers. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Someday, I hope to be on the Fan Fic Panel, once my one story gets finished. I enjoyed meeting everyone and talking with Susan's husband, Jim about history. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I had many highlights at the Fest this year, but the number one highlight for me was meeting Donovan. Sandra and I had gone into the Eastern Room to see when Donovan would be there. They gave us the time and we came back to the room later on.
There were four other people ahead of me in line. As time went on, and Donovan kept on being more late [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] the line grew and snaked around the fountain and out the door! Finally, he appeared (after doing a Q & A in the ballroom). When I got to the table, I gave him the notecards I had for him to sign. I told him that one was for my friend who couldn't make it to the Fest this year, and the other was for me. He asked how my name was spelt and I told him. He teased me on what to call me "Kristil" or "Kristine." LOL [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Next, I told him I had a question. I then went around the table and sat next to him. All this time, Sandra took pictures of Donovan and I. The conversation went like this:
Kristi: "What inspired you to write "Catch the Wind?" It's my favorite song."
Donovan: "Well, It's a love."
Kristi: "It's a beautiful song."
Donovan: "I wrote it about a girl named Linda who became my wife. But at the time I wrote it, I hadn't met her yet? So, how can you write a song about someone you don't even know?"
I thanked him for the autograph and answering my question. I had more, but other people were waiting. It was nice of him to sign my notecards (some people only sign "their" items whether it be a book or a CD) and it was nice of him to answer my question, because the line was long. He was very nice, and softspoken. Now, I can say that I have met a famous person. (This was much better than meeting the former the Chicago Tribune ex-columnist, Bob Greene a few years back).
We saw Donovan again that night (Saturday). He performed a George Tribute. He told a little a bit about how he became famous. He performed "Catch the Wind," and "Hurdy Gurdy Man" on acoustic guitar (and sang a verse to HGM that George had written). Donovan performed "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" a nice end to his tribute. Donovan is a great story teller and can imitate Bob Dylan, John and George very well! He also talked a little about Rishikesh, India in 1968. I'm glad we got to see his tribute.
I'm looking forward to next year's Fest For Beatles Fans! Only 365 more days to go! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
-Kristi
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 02:49 PM   #14
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I'm home -- we decided not to take the extra day and come home today so that Jim could have a day off tomorrow before he has to go back to work...and we made very good time!

It was a blast to see everyone -- I'm with Tina, though, I think that those ropes at the top of the stairs intimidated people from coming downstairs to our designated meeting place. But it was fun to meet new BLinkers and to see old friends -- hi to Tina, Lynn, kj, Rell, Kristin, Sandra, Kristi, Sharon, Paul, BB, Betty...you know who you are! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The crowd on Sunday was REALLY thin compared to years past, and a lot of vendors said their business was way off -- I think there was a lot of browsing and not a lot of buying going on. But we did sell a few Rooftop books, which was great, and I got a few things I really wanted, like Larry Kane's book, the Ed Sullivan Show DVDs and the piece-de-resistance, one of Astrid's photos!!! [img]graemlins/drool.gif[/img] It's the one of John standing in the attic, and I've been wanting it for at least five years, ever since I first saw it for sale in 1998, but I never could bring myself to spend the $$$. Well, it was expensive, but definitely worth it -- I'm SO GLAD I bought it, and can't wait to go get it framed so that I can put it on the wall in a place of honor...it's BEAUTIFUL, scans of the pics that aren't real prints do not do them justice, they are AWESOME, and this particular photo just gets me all ferkelempt [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] !

And by the way, the good part about being in Chicago all week? We totally missed the Northeast blackout!!! It was very weird sitting in Chicago watching all the excitement on TV, but I can tell you I was really glad my car wasn't parked on a Manhattan street and that I wasn't worrying about my husband trying to get home or being stuck in our highrise building without air conditioning or elevators!!!

Good to be home, though -- but it was a GREAT time! Gotta love Chicago Fest, it's the best one of the year! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And now it's on to Boston in November -- can't wait!

[size="1"][ Aug 19, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 03:23 PM   #15
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Sounds like every one had a great time. I sure wish they had something like that out here on the prairie. Glad to see you all back here. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:09 PM   #16
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
The crowd on Sunday was REALLY thin compared to years past
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You think? I thought it was better than last year, when it seemed like Sunday was a total ghost town. Still much less than years prior to last year though. Maybe it was because a lot of the Sunday crowd are into the Battle of the Bands rather than the shopping thing. Or that those of us who were there all weekend had already bought what we were going to get??
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:03 PM   #17
Lynner

Perhaps the air and water show kept some people away? It was certainly easy to move about in the flea market on Sunday. So many dealers closed up shop early. I really didn't buy all that much myself. I just can't keep up with the output of books, so I don't bother much anymore. And because of the copyright issues, the less expensive items are no longer in the flea market. Such a shame.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:48 PM   #18
Rellevart

Oh, I thought this was a hoot! Did any of you see the guy dressed up kind of like Inspector Clouseau (sp?) on Friday night? Apparently, he was actually supposed to be "Sgt. Pilcher of Scotland Yard....the British special agent who had busted John Lennon, Keith Richards and scores of other pop stars on fake pot raps."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Aug 20, 2003, 01:48 PM   #19
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Oh, I thought this was a hoot! Did any of you see the guy dressed up kind of like Inspector Clouseau (sp?) on Friday night? Apparently, he was actually supposed to be "Sgt. Pilcher of Scotland Yard....the British special agent who had busted John Lennon, Keith Richards and scores of other pop stars on fake pot raps."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Nope, I missed him! How funny! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] Ya get all kinds at the Fest, I swear... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 02:17 PM   #20
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I had a gear fab time there as well! Though i'll admit it wasnt quite the same as before. I still had great fun though! I'm sorry I was not able to make it to the meet-up on Saturday cuz I was busy at that time. I was lucky enough to meet a couple of you over the weekend though. My mom, Betty, was able to make it though. For those of you who were there, she was the one in Paul's Pepper outfit! Anyroads, I will be emailing a couple people I met and the ones I heard that want to see my drawings [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Peace!
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote