BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:09 AM   #1
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Default Tornado Hits Torquay, England...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2329127.stm

Storms cause 'mini tornado'

The weather caused damage in Torquay
Picture courtesy of John Maltby

Strong winds and torrential rain will continue to batter central and southern parts of England for the next 48 hours, forecasters have predicted.
A "mini tornado" has also hit the Devon town of Torquay, causing damage.

Flash floods have already caused chaos in areas throughout the South West, with some towns seeing more than two-thirds of their average monthly rainfall in just 24 hours.

There are 12 flood alerts in southern England issued by the Environment Agency, which is urging homeowners to monitor the situation closely in case of imminent flooding.

Torquay 'tornado'

Surface water flooding in Devon, Cornwall and Dorset was causing most concern to the Agency, with leaves and debris blocking drains.

What was described as a "mini tornado" caused damage to a church and a number of other buildings in rain-hit Torquay on Tuesday morning.

Part of the roof of Victoria Park Methodist Church in St Mary Church Road blew off, several trees were felled and a street lamp came down, exposing wires.

Roads in the area were closed because of the amount of debris.

A church roof was ripped off by the tornado

Before hitting St Mary Church, the weather smashed two shop windows in Union Street, near Torquay Harbour.

It also uprooted a telephone junction box from the street and sent many chimney cowlings crashing into the roadway.

No one was hurt when the high winds hit, but eyewitnesses say the force of it blew many people off their feet.

A Torbay Council spokesman said that a major clear-up operation was under way.

Autumn storm

Forecasters say heavy rain and force seven winds could hit southern and central England on Wednesday with 20mm of rain expected to fall in London alone.

A Met Office spokesman said: "The bad weather is being caused by a slow moving Atlantic depression that is heading north.

"It is quite typical for this time of year and is what we call an autumn storm."

Severe gales have also stopped a fleet of ships from going to Liverpool for the start of the Clipper 2002 Round the World Yacht Race.

Motorists warned

The fleet is stuck in Falmouth, Cornwall, from where it was meant to leave on Tuesday morning.

Motorists taking to the roads in the next two days have been warned by the AA to be prepare for the bad weather, adjusting their speed accordingly.

Dunkeswell near Exeter saw 65 millimetres of rain fall in just 24 hours - more than two-thirds the average monthly total for the area.

More that 50 millimetres of rain fell in west Cornwall over eight hours on Saturday night to give localised flooding in the St Ives and Penryn areas.

High winds in south Devon also caused the closure of the 13-mile sea front at Torbay as 50 mph winds and a high tide meant waves breaking over the land.

--------------------------------------------

It only happened 15 miles away from me!! If I was going into college I would have seen it, but it was my day off!!!!

It ain't fair! Seeing a tornado is a lifelong ambition of mine!

------------------
Paul is Dead - the Conclusive Evidence - Officially the BEST website on the internet regarding the entire 'Paul is Dead' saga. Listing 300+ clues that are backed up with images and soundclips, this is THE place to go to learn everything about the worlds greatest rock and roll conspiracy.

Introducing the Beatles Authentification Guide - Introducing the Beatles is the most counterfeited LP in modern recording history. Nearly every copy that turns up of this LP turns out to be fake. Come here to learn of all the mistakes the bootleggers made to determine whether or not your copy is real or fake.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:25 AM   #2
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4
Default Re: Tornado Hits Torquay, England...

What is the world is happening? Every time some strange like this happens (and it's getting more and more frequent), I can't help but think that the judgement day is not too far in the future.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:01 PM   #3
jami
Bulldog

Glad you're alright, Harb

------------------
jami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:41 PM   #4
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Thankfully it wasn't a big torndo, probably less than an F1, but it was one all the same - AND I MISSED IT!!

------------------
Paul is Dead - the Conclusive Evidence - Officially the BEST website on the internet regarding the entire 'Paul is Dead' saga. Listing 300+ clues that are backed up with images and soundclips, this is THE place to go to learn everything about the worlds greatest rock and roll conspiracy.

Introducing the Beatles Authentification Guide - Introducing the Beatles is the most counterfeited LP in modern recording history. Nearly every copy that turns up of this LP turns out to be fake. Come here to learn of all the mistakes the bootleggers made to determine whether or not your copy is real or fake.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 04:58 PM   #5
Beatlesgal
Bulldog

Default Post deleted by Jerry

Beatlesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 07:32 PM   #6
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

Hope you're safe, Har. Remember: Stock up on as much easy-to-fix foods and batteries as possible, stay away from windows, and if it gets really bad, go to either the basement or a solid room in the center of the house. Just because it happened once doesn't mean it would take another dynastic change or two before it comes again...

------------------
"Democracies die behind closed doors" - Judge Damon J. Keith

"Like Kurasawa I make mad films
Okay I don't make films
but if I did they'd have a Samurai"
-Barenaked Ladies
JDanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:52 PM   #7
bearkat77
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Harbidge:
Thankfully it wasn't a big torndo, probably less than an F1, but it was one all the same - AND I MISSED IT!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't feel too bad, Harb. I've been through two tornadoes and believe me, you're better off not being anywhere near one.

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:32 PM   #8
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

Hope you all are safe over there! Run for cover!!!

FT

------------------
"Music always had a transcendental quality inasmuch as it reaches parts of you that you don't expect it to reach. And it can touch you in a way that you can't express. You can think that it hasn't reached you and years later you'll find it coming out." George Harrison
FiendishThingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 06:47 AM   #9
jami
Bulldog

It's funny... I've always been really obsessed with Tornadoes too. I've had dreams about them at least once a week ever since I was a little girl. Even though I'm scared to death of them, I think it would be kind of cool to see one in person!

------------------
jami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 08:51 AM   #10
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

When my younger sister was little, she was petrified of tornadoes. It could be a perfectly clear day (wonder blue sky and all), but if she saw one fluffy white cloud, she'd scream bloody murder. Now she wants to be a meteorologist...go figure.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2002, 08:56 AM   #11
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

the storm was all over in a day I love a good storm me.

The closest I've ever been to a tornado is seeing one develop and then dissipate before it touched down. I know tornado's are killers, but there's a beauty about them that I love.

------------------

Old Oct 19, 2002, 05:54 PM   #12
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

The two closest times for me were not entirely usual. The first time, I was on a trip in the Midwest, and we were aware of storm clouds coming in, but we didn't think much of it until the van took a nasty side swipe from a sudden gust of wind. No real tornado, just a brush.

The second time, I watched a funnel form from a few miles away. What was unusual was that the funnel touched down in Statten Island, which usually doesn't get storms like that.

------------------

Okay I don't make films
-Barenaked Ladies
Old Oct 20, 2002, 03:57 AM   #13
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I've found a picture that was taken from a video somebody made from Brixham (where I live) from a place just 3 minutes walk from where I live. I still can't believe I missed it!!!!

------------------

Old Oct 20, 2002, 05:11 AM   #14
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Harbidge:
I've found a picture that was taken from a video somebody made from Brixham (where I live) from a place just 3 minutes walk from where I live. I still can't believe I missed it!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better still, we're glad it missed you!

------------------

Okay I don't make films
-Barenaked Ladies
Old Oct 20, 2002, 04:31 PM   #15
bearkat77
Administrator

The two tornadoes I've had a brush with were not exactly the way I'd like to see them. The first one was a funnel cloud forming over the grade school I was attending at the time. It touched down two blocks away.

The second one was even closer. I was at a restaurant drinking coffee and talking with friends. When I decided to leave, I was hearing a roaring sound. I originally thought it was a train, since a crossing was right down the road. When I realized what was happening, it had already touched down about 100 yards away. I dove into the nearest ditch behind the restuarant. About that time, it flattened the gas staion next door. I saw my truck lift slightly off the ground and then come back down with a thud.

I don't ever want to get that close to another tornado again.

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 03:01 PM   #16
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

I'm with you ! I don't think I need to be close to one, thank u very much!

FT

------------------
"Music always had a transcendental quality inasmuch as it reaches parts of you that you don't expect it to reach. And it can touch you in a way that you can't express. You can think that it hasn't reached you and years later you'll find it coming out." George Harrison
FiendishThingie is offline   Reply With Quote