BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:07 PM   #1
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Paul McCartney Book Signing in NYC

From Paul McCartney's publicist:

On Monday, October 3rd at 2:00pm, Barnes & Noble located in Rockefeller
Center at 600 Fifth Ave will be hosting rock legend PAUL MCCARTNEY, who is
promoting his first childrenšs book HIGH IN THE CLOUDS.

Nearly 10 years in the making, Paul McCartney's HIGH IN THE CLOUDS was
inspired by his love of literature and the animated film "Tropic Island Hum"
on which Paul collaborated with animator Geoff Dunbar and features
characters from the book. In addition to the award-winning "Tropic Island
Hum", he has also worked with Geoff to create the animated award-winning
"Rupert And The Frog Song," and "Tuesday", based on the book by David
Wiesner.

Forced to leave his woodland home, destroyed by the expansion plans of the
evil Gretsch, Wirral the squirrel vows to find the fabled land of Animalia,
where all the animals are said to live in freedom and without fear. Aided
and abetted by Froggo the hot-air-ballooning frog, Wilhamina the plucky red
squirrel, and Ratsy the streetwise rodent, Wirral's personal quest turns
into a full-blown plan to save enslaved animals everywhere -- a plan that is
fraught with danger.

Please join us for the signing of this grand new adventure by Paul
McCartney!

WHAT: Book signing event with Paul McCartney

WHERE: Barnes & Noble
600 Fifth Avenue (48th Street & 5th Ave.)
New York, NY

WHEN: Monday, October 3rd

TIME: 2:00pm ­ 3:00pm
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:26 PM   #2
adayinthelife
Apple Scruff

Hmmm maybe I can convince my dad to drive us up there...
adayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:40 PM   #3
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

So you guys get Paul on the 3rd and Cyn on the 4th. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm officially really jealous.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:53 PM   #4
HMVNipper
Sun King

Yeah, well, if you're Jewish, you don't get either. Because Monday night is the first night of Rosh Hashanah (Jewish holidays start at sundown) and so if you have to be someplace that night, as I do, you can't be at Barnes and Noble all day waiting for Paul, just as you can't be at the OTHER Barnes and Noble all day on Tuesday waiting for Cyn, and you can't be at EITHER of Paul's concerts. So I'm actually a bit offended that absolutely NO ONE seemed to look at a freakin' CALENDAR and see that these events were falling on the two days of one of the holiest holidays of the Jewish calendar and so would therefore exclude most, if not all, of Paul and John's (or Cyn's) Jewish fans. In a city like New York, which is so heavily Jewish, this is just plain ignorant and stupid. This is like having these things happen on Easter or Christmas, for those of you who don't get it...imagine how upset you'd be.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Sep 28, 2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:55 PM   #5
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

Hmmm....has anyone ever been to one of Paul's book signings? (I know he did a few for "Blackbird Singing" a few years back.) I'd like to go, but if it starts at 2, what time do you think I'd need to show up to have a realistic chance of getting in?

Stop Worrying: A Tribute To HELP!
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:56 PM   #6
HMVNipper
Sun King

Try overnight. Last time, my friend came from Boston and slept on the street in front of the store.

Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:01 PM   #7
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
Try overnight. Last time, my friend came from Boston and slept on the street in front of the store.
...yikes. I guess I should've expected that, but still...yikes.

Oh, well. Easy come, easy go.

Old Sep 28, 2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

My Mind is melting here. I will be there come hell or highwater

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 09:50 AM   #9
erinluv182
Taxman

Quote:
Yeah, well, if you're Jewish, you don't get either. Because Monday night is the first night of Rosh Hashanah (Jewish holidays start at sundown) and so if you have to be someplace that night, as I do, you can't be at Barnes and Noble all day waiting for Paul, just as you can't be at the OTHER Barnes and Noble all day on Tuesday waiting for Cyn, and you can't be at EITHER of Paul's concerts. So I'm actually a bit offended that absolutely NO ONE seemed to look at a freakin' CALENDAR and see that these events were falling on the two days of one of the holiest holidays of the Jewish calendar and so would therefore exclude most, if not all, of Paul and John's (or Cyn's) Jewish fans. In a city like New York, which is so heavily Jewish, this is just plain ignorant and stupid. This is like having these things happen on Easter or Christmas, for those of you who don't get it...imagine how upset you'd be.
I think it just tends to happen, though. I remember a few years ago Pepperland 67 went to a Stones concert the night before Easter. We go to the same church, and if I remember correctly, she was a wee tired the next day at the sunrise service.
I guess artists just tend to schedule things around their calendar, and around how they can fit in what city when. I bet it is more of a nightmare to try to schedule than we probably realize. Truth of the matter is, he probably would've had to be in some city somewhere during those holidays, and it just happened to fall in New York. And no offense, but I don't think New York Jews should get preferential treatment over Jews in other cities.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:00 AM   #10
HMVNipper
Sun King

There are no cities AS Jewish as NYC in the United States. New York has a larger Jewish population than the entire country of Israel. (That is a fact.) I don't think that the people who schedule these things checking a calendar to make sure that BOTH his concerts did not fall on the same day as the holiest holiday in the year would have been too much to ask...especially since Paul's first wife was Jewish. But then again...SHE might have been sensitive to that fact and had someone check, and I don't expect anyone in Paul's employ to be now that Linda's gone. It didn't HAVE to be planned so that his days in New York "just happened to be" on those particular days -- I think it would be less of a problem in, say, Omaha (or some place with an equally small Jewish population so that the percentage of Jewish Paul fans would be even smaller).

I'm not asking for "preferential treatment," but a bit of consideration would have been nice. And it's not the same to go to a concert "the night before" and be "tired at the sunrise service" as it is to make the concerts totally unattendable by most people of a particular faith. All except the most totally irreligious Jews go to synagogue on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur -- how would YOU like it if I said your only option was to go to a concert on Christmas or Easter (NOT the "night before.")? You'd skip it, but you'd be cheesed off, right?

I don't expect you or any other Christian to understand, especially those who have never set foot in a city as Jewish as this one and who don't really know any Jewish people, but it sticks in my craw. I shouldn't be shocked, though -- most Christians NEVER consider that there are other holidays other than their own -- my own mother-in-law is clueless unless it's a Christian holiday, she has NO IDEA and no respect for anything I celebrate. I guess it's too much to ask that Paul and his people have any.

Last edited by HMVNipper : Sep 29, 2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:09 AM   #11
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
I shouldn't be shocked, though -- most Christians NEVER consider that there are other holidays other than their own.
Wow, that's a rather sweeping generalization, which, as a Christian, no matter how loosely affiliated, I find relatively offensive. Not that I don't understand your frustration, but just because a couple of events which you weren't planning to attend anyway happen to fall at an impossible time, that's no reason to say most Christians are ignorant.

Last edited by Rellevart : Sep 29, 2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: because "most" and "all" are not the same!
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:20 AM   #12
HMVNipper
Sun King

Okay, I'm sorry about that...but in my experience, MANY Christians are woefully ignorant about non-Christian holidays, particularly if they live in places where there aren't any Jews and they've never even met a Jewish person. Not all, though, so I'm sorry about the generalization. It is interesting, though -- not only do I know about Christian holidays (well, you'd have to be under a rock not to), but I know about Muslim and Hindu ones as well...I guess I make it my business to find out about religions other than my own. But I realize that not all Christians are totally ignorant either.

And frankly, had the tickets not been out of my price range and I had been willing to buy them, the DATES would have made it impossible to attend anyway. And I'm certain that many of Paul's Jewish fans in New York who would have gone are not because of precisely that reason.

Last edited by HMVNipper : Sep 29, 2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:22 AM   #13
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I live next door to a synagogue, so hey...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:35 AM   #14
ShowTunes
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182
I guess artists just tend to schedule things around their calendar, and around how they can fit in what city when. I bet it is more of a nightmare to try to schedule than we probably realize. Truth of the matter is, he probably would've had to be in some city somewhere during those holidays, and it just happened to fall in New York. And no offense, but I don't think New York Jews should get preferential treatment over Jews in other cities.
Excuse me? What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with "preferential treatment." As Nipper said, this is the equivalent of scheduling book signings or concerts on Christmas or Easter--it's extremely thoughtless, and it would be to Jews in ANY city he happened to be in.

Perhaps you are ignorant of the importance of the High Holidays to Jews? Perhaps you would like to read up on these matters so that in the future you won't need to say "No offense" because maybe you'll stop yourself before you write something clueless and offensive?

Last edited by ShowTunes : Sep 29, 2005 at 10:36 AM.
ShowTunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:41 AM   #15
ShowTunes
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Okay, I'm sorry about that...but in my experience, MANY Christians are woefully ignorant about non-Christian holidays, particularly if they live in places where there aren't any Jews and they've never even met a Jewish person. Not all, though, so I'm sorry about the generalization. It is interesting, though -- not only do I know about Christian holidays (well, you'd have to be under a rock not to), but I know about Muslim and Hindu ones as well...I guess I make it my business to find out about religions other than my own. But I realize that not all Christians are totally ignorant either.
Actually, of all the non-Jews I've known through my life (far more than Jews), the only ones who had any knowledge of the Jewish holidays were either the ones married to Jews or the ones who had grown up/been very close friends with Jews. I'm ALWAYS answering questions about the holidays.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:47 AM   #16
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTunes
Excuse me? What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with "preferential treatment." As Nipper said, this is the equivalent of scheduling book signings or concerts on Christmas or Easter--it's extremely thoughtless, and it would be to Jews in ANY city he happened to be in.

Perhaps you are ignorant of the importance of the High Holidays to Jews? Perhaps you would like to read up on these matters so that in the future you won't need to say "No offense" because maybe you'll stop yourself before you write something clueless and offensive?
I should point out that you don't actually have to go SEARCHING for this information -- Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are LISTED AND MARKED in most American and Canadian calendars, and I believe also in many British ones. It's not like it was difficult to find out and know the dates for ANYONE, particularly the people scheduling the tour.

I don't think Paul is aware of this or had anything to do with it -- he isn't the one who schedules stuff. But you'd think someone on the "tour planning committee" would actually read a calendar!

Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:56 AM   #17
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Considering that Paul's playing FOUR (non-consecutive) nights in NYC, I really don't see much to complain about regarding conflicts with religious holidays. If he were playing a one-night stand in, say, Miami, on the night of Oct. 3, then that's a different matter. But personally, I think it was quite considerate and accommodating of Paul's people to stagger his NY shows enough so that his Jewish fans wouldn't be shut out completely.

And depending upon how you look at it, the Monday & Tuesday book signings could actually be considered advantageous to those who have taken those days off for religious reasons. Just a thought.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:58 AM   #18
HMVNipper
Sun King

Well, true, at least there are two other concerts, I don't know why I didn't remember that...thank you for pointing that out.

But if I was taking the days "for religious reasons," then I'd be in synagogue, not in a bookstore waiting for Paul or Cynthia to sign something. (As I am not currently working, I don't have to take special days off for the holidays. But I'm still going to be in shul and not in a bookstore!)

Last edited by HMVNipper : Sep 29, 2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 02:55 PM   #19
erinluv182
Taxman

Oh, goodness. I was afraid this might start a holy war on here, even tho I didn't mean it to. I was trying to empathize with y'all with the example of the Stones concert before Easter.

I don't know if the digs are at me for being an ignorant Christian, but I get the feeling that they are. I probably don't understand Jewish holidays to the extent that a Jewish person does, but I understand them a decent amount. Mind you, the Christian religion grew out of the Hebrew faith. And I also know a decent amount about other religious holidays, not that it really matters what I know or not.

Anyways: did anyone consider that people who are atheist might be offended if everyone pandered overtly to religious holidays in terms of deciding when they do things like book signings? I don't presume to know if they would be, but it's possibe that they might be.

I do know for Christians that things get scheduled all the time on our holidays. One that sticks out the most is Ash Wednesday. Since that one is in the middle of the week every year without fail, it sticks out the most to me. As a college student I used to get ultra annoyed with teachers scheduling things on that day, or on Good Friday with basically zero regard to that day being very special to me as a Christian.

What this basically all comes down to is that you can never make anyone happy all the time. No matter when Paul plays or signs books and where, people are going to be upset, because it doesn't work with their schedule. I know for me in my life, being a non-famous person, I've had to deal with people being unhappy with things I do. You reach a point where you realize you can't make everyone happy all the time and you have to be secure enough to just try your best, I'm sure with Paul being famous and a little older than me that he has had to deal with this a lot more than me. I bet he tries to be the best he can to make everyone happy, but this is simply an impossible feat.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 05:27 PM   #20
HMVNipper
Sun King

This is not just a matter of "things getting scheduled all the time on religious holidays." For those who are really unaware of exactly HOW heavily Jewish New York City is, let me elaborate.

1) PUBLIC SCHOOLS are closed for two days at Rosh Hashanah and on the one day of Yom Kippur 10 days later. There are too many Jewish students and teachers to make keeping schools open on those days feasible.

2) PARKING RULES in the city are SUSPENDED on MANY Jewish holidays, even lesser ones, and certainly on the High Holidays.

3) The commuter railroads actually RUN EXTRA TRAINS the night before every major Jewish holiday so that they can accommodate all the Jewish commuters trying to get home or to family before sundown.

4) This year (2005), when Passover fell a month after Easter because of the Jewish lunar calendar leap year (usually they coincide pretty close, as I know most people realize), PUBLIC SCHOOLS closed for one day on Good Friday in March, but the actual Spring Vacation (e.g., the week off) was not until the week of Passover, A MONTH LATER. Again, a case of too many Jewish students and teachers (this time with a dietary restriction because of having to eat matzo on Passover and not being able to eat bread) to make it feasible to close for the week in March instead. This is how Jewish New York is -- accommodations need to be made even in public schools sometimes.

Sure, things get scheduled on Jewish holidays all the time. The "lesser" ones for more secular Jews like myself don't matter much anyway, at least to me, so if something is scheduled on, say, Sukkot, I will do whatever it is that's scheduled because I won't be busy observing the holiday. But Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are HUGE, even to the most secular of Jews -- and it is just plain ignorant to schedule big events like these on these days in this city, of all cities.

I know that Good Friday and Ash Wednesday are a big deal to Christians. But I would be willing to bet money that Paul's people wouldn't have scheduled any concerts at all on either of those days because HE is Christian. And I maintain that if Linda, his (admittedly non-observant) Jewish wife, was still alive, she might have made sure that there were no concerts on Rosh Hashanah and/or Yom Kippur either. And for the record, public schools here (including colleges) are closed on Good Friday too, so no, Jews are not getting "preferential treatment."

Last edited by HMVNipper : Sep 30, 2005 at 04:55 AM.