BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Aug 26, 2004, 02:50 PM   #1
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

Default McCartney Stops Wife\'s Iraq Visit

McCartney Stops Wife's Iraq Visit
Former Beatles star Paul McCartney is refusing to allow his wife Heather Mills to visit war-torn Iraq as part of her charity work.

The former model, 34, wants to go to the Middle Eastern country to remove and increase awareness of landmines as part of her campaign work for the Adopt a Minefield organization.

However, her "Yellow Submarine" husband is adamant Mills avoids dangerous locations, especially as she is now a mother to their baby daughter Beatrice.

Mills explains, "I'd be there in a shot if my husband wasn't sort of tying me down and because of my responsibility towards my baby."

"I've never had any fear of war zones. I've been in them quite a number of times. But now I'm a mommy I've got big responsibilities."

News Link

Ok several questions:

- How is this news? Those quotes from Heather were said in her recent interview on Larry King Live, which was at least a week ago.

- Why does it say 'her "Yellow Submarine" husband'? Don't news reports usually say "former Beatle Paul McCartney" or "ex-Beatle" or something like that?

From the interview, it didn't seem like Paul was "refusing" to let Heather go to Iraq out of selfishness. I feel that Paul was concerned for his wife's safety and wanted her stay in England and be with him and their daughter. But I'll wait to hear your thoughts on this "news" item.
One_Sweet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 02:55 PM   #2
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Default Re: McCartney Stops Wife\'s Iraq Visit

[ QUOTE ]
One_Sweet_Dream Posted:
Mills explains, "I'd be there in a shot if my husband wasn't sort of tying me down and because of my responsibility towards my baby."

[/ QUOTE ]
Gee, nice way to describe married life... I don't think Paul has ever stopped Heather from doing anything she wanted!
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 02:57 PM   #3
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Actually I don't blame Paul for not wanting Heather to go to Iraq...what if she does go and gets blown up or beheaded? Then Paul would be a widower again and raise a little baby by himself
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 03:04 PM   #4
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Oh I don't blame her for not going (and for him not wanting her to go) to Iraq--you couldn't pay me to go there for even 5 minutes, either. I just didn't like the way she explained it, that her husband was holding her back from going, that's all. I mean, if you're not going to Iraq because it's dangerous, okay, fine, then explain it that way...it's like she kind of passed it off as "oh, my other half won't let me do it." Things like that just kind of bug me.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Lynner

[ QUOTE ]
One_Sweet_Dream Posted:
Ok several questions:

- Why does it say 'her "Yellow Submarine" husband'? Don't news reports usually say "former Beatle Paul McCartney" or "ex-Beatle" or something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a total guess:
The reported was referring to Paul as "yellow" (meaning afraid) and didn't want to be outright nasty, so tried to be cutesy by calling him "yellow submarine"? I hope I'm wrong, tho'.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 05:00 PM   #6
beatlelover45223

[ QUOTE ]
Lynner Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
One_Sweet_Dream Posted:
Ok several questions:

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a total guess:
The reported was referring to Paul as "yellow" (meaning afraid) and didn't want to be outright nasty, so tried to be cutesy by calling him "yellow submarine"? I hope I'm wrong, tho'.

[/ QUOTE ]

an astute observation Lynner
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 05:15 PM   #7
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

[ QUOTE ]
beatlegirl9977 Posted:
Oh I don't blame her for not going (and for him not wanting her to go) to Iraq--you couldn't pay me to go there for even 5 minutes, either. I just didn't like the way she explained it, that her husband was holding her back from going, that's all. I mean, if you're not going to Iraq because it's dangerous, okay, fine, then explain it that way...it's like she kind of passed it off as "oh, my other half won't let me do it." Things like that just kind of bug me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's how I felt about it. I mean, gosh, it's such a drag to have a baby daughter who needs her mother and a loving husband concerned for his wife's safety. Sheesh.

Maybe that was a slight exaggeration on my part. Oh well.
One_Sweet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:14 AM   #8
twovirgins
Sun King

they would have to kill me before sending my son to Iraq (hes only 11) but lets say this war goes on for 7 more years if that makes me a "yellow Submerine" than ill be one happily to protect my sons life!!
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 04:29 AM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Well said, 2 Virgins.

I like Lynner's explanation and think that was probably the rationale for using the term "Yellow Submarine."

As for Paul being adamant about Heather venturing to Iraq, in light of the strife, unrest and danger I think it is understandable that he fears for her safety.

"In Spite of All the Danger," I tip my hat to Heather for wanting to do this.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 04:32 AM   #10
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

[ QUOTE ]
beatlegirl9977 Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand exactly what you are saying, BG. It does sound rather antiquated to say your spouse "won't let you" go someplace. That kind of thing irks me too. Since when do aduts need permission? My response is to the comment Heather allegedly made.

Since none of us knows the full story, I think the best thing we can do is to reserve judgment and hope for the best.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 08:06 AM   #11
LovinLennon909
Taxman

[ QUOTE ]
twovirgins Posted:
they would have to kill me before sending my son to Iraq (hes only 11) but lets say this war goes on for 7 more years if that makes me a "yellow Submerine" than ill be one happily to protect my sons life!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet we're in Iraq for more than 7 years. I'm 18, and I know way too many people over there. If I could keep ANY people from going to Iraq, I would in a heartbeat, especially my spouse/the parent of my baby, or my child (if I had one.)
LovinLennon909 is offline   Reply With Quote