BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jun 05, 2006, 05:56 AM   #1
Asha
Sun King

Default The Next Mrs. McCartney?

Just in case you wanted to be, I thought I'd let you know you might have a little competition!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lif...E?OpenDocument

Potential Mrs. McCartneys queue up
By Ellen Futterman
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
05/30/2006

There are a few things you can count on in life: The sun rises in the east and sets in the west; what goes up will come down; and if there's a story about Paul McCartney in this newspaper, Linda Dana will check in.

Dana, 49, of west St. Louis County, is the consummate Paul girl. She's a former president of the St. Louis Beatles Fan Club, and she once paid $475 to sit in the 14th row at one of McCartney's Chicago concerts.

Dana and I first met in 1993 when the cute Beatle performed at the old Busch Stadium. We reconnected in 2002 before McCartney's concert at Savvis Center, at which time Dana made it clear that she was no fan of McCartney's then-new wife, Heather Mills. I believe Dana's exact words were, "She's a blond woman with a cause."

Last week, in the wake of McCartney's separation after four years from Mills, I asked readers who would be a good match for McCartney. A day or so later, an email arrived from Dana, reiterating her "blond woman" line, pointing out that she had been right about Mills.

"Heather has no clue what she is letting go of," wrote Dana, who went on to nominate herself as the next "Mrs. Paul McCartney." She figures in addition to being a diehard Beatles fan, specifically a Paul girl, her first name is the same as McCartney's first and beloved wife, Linda.

"Destiny," Dana declared.

Of course there is one tiny sticking point: Linda Dana has been married to Mark Dana for the past 28 years. Still, she assured me, that's no problem.

"This isn't anything Mark hasn't heard from me before," Dana said. "It's friggin' Paul McCartney. I think at this point, (Mark) would put me on the plane himself."

As it turns out, Dana isn't the only one who nominated herself. Her good friend Dawn Dunham of St. Louis thinks she'd be a better choice for McCartney because, among other things, she's single.

"I don't think Paul would be a good match for anyone who is already famous or aspires to be famous," Dunham wrote. "His legendary status alone is enough for any family to handle. He needs an easy-going, down-to-earth woman who desires to be a homemaker (and mother). It may sound a bit old-fashioned, but I think that is what Paul wants and needs.

"He also should consider a fan or at least someone who has a strong appreciation and knowledge of his music. ... Since all of my friends who fit the description above are already married, I will suggest myself."

Other readers don't see a problem with McCartney hooking up with someone famous.

Richard Brantley of Brentwood offered two possibilities in the same well-known family.

"Paul's next wife? Priscilla and-or Lisa Marie Presley, obviously," he wrote. "Priscilla, at 61, is the age-appropriate choice but, let's face it, the often-married Lisa Marie is the more likely pick."

Carla Garagnani of Ferguson thinks Sheryl Crow is a good choice because she and McCartney have music in common.

"Plus, it would be a trade-up for her after Lance Armstrong. It would be very cool, too, to have a Kennett, Mo., girl marry a Beatle," Garagnani said.

According to Scottie Freeman of St. Louis, Jane Fonda is the perfect mate for McCartney.

"They could exercise together, and he would be with someone his own age and intellect," she wrote.

Perhaps the best - or at least the most creative - suggestion comes from Carl Zey of Kirkwood, who nominates Queen of Clean Martha Stewart for Sir Paul. "They could discuss their joint (Paul having served for pot possession in Japan) experiences at having done time in the big house," Zey said.

Hmm, maybe he's on to something. Paul did sing lead on the Beatles' "Martha, My Dear," which contains the lines: "Take a good look and you're bound to see/That you and me were meant to be for each other."

Perhaps the match isn't such a silly love song after all.
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Cream Tangerine
Dr. Robert

Good God...
It's like the Romans gabling Jesus' robes while he was still up on the cross!!!
Old Jun 05, 2006, 06:55 AM   #3
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha
Perhaps the best - or at least the most creative - suggestion comes from Carl Zey of Kirkwood, who nominates Queen of Clean Martha Stewart for Sir Paul. "They could discuss their joint (Paul having served for pot possession in Japan) experiences at having done time in the big house," Zey said.

Hmm, maybe he's on to something. Paul did sing lead on the Beatles' "Martha, My Dear," which contains the lines: "Take a good look and you're bound to see/That you and me were meant to be for each other."
Ok. That's not even funny!
Old Jun 05, 2006, 09:46 AM   #4
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Personally, I hope Sir Paul ends up with someone who isn't a diehard Beatles fan...or at least one who can appreciate him for who he really is and not for just some iconic, idealized image of The Cute One. Some fans out there seem to be so obsessive, I wonder if they could actually make the distinction.

"They're just a passing phase, symptoms of the uncertainty of the times and the confusion about us. I hope, when they get older, they'll get a haircut." -- Billy Graham, on the Beatles
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 11:03 AM   #5
VersusBatman
Sun King

Sort of like Katie Holmes marrying the guy she had a crush on since she first saw him in Top Gun.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 12:26 PM   #6
62hofner

I kind'a wished that Paul remained alone for a while after Linda passed away, and didn't get involved so quickly as he did with Heather. That's easy for me to say, and who am I to judge? I'm not, really. But, I just wished...

As for NOW... I hope Paul's next relationship is with his music. Maybe we'll even get a killer album outta this whole thing.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner
I kind'a wished that Paul remained alone for a while after Linda passed away, and didn't get involved so quickly as he did with Heather. That's easy for me to say, and who am I to judge? I'm not, really. But, I just wished...

As for NOW... I hope Paul's next relationship is with his music. Maybe we'll even get a killer album outta this whole thing.
I admit, I kind of wished he'd remained alone a bit longer, too. But, he's a grown man. He can make his own choices. Even now.

I had to laugh about the killer album! I'm game for a good rocker from Paul again!

At any rate, Paul can do whatever will make him happy! I'm all for that. I just want him to live long & be happy & healthy.

I just posted the article because I thought it was funny about all the woman wanting to be next or playing matchmaker for him! Silly!
Old Jun 05, 2006, 02:17 PM   #9
VersusBatman
Sun King

Oh heavens no!

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 05:54 PM   #10
.Psychedelic.Stars.
Taxman

Dear god, he just got out of a 4 year relationship...
Old Jun 05, 2006, 08:04 PM   #11
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
i don't know, but they probably could make a reality show about this...
ROFL Oh lord, that'd be funny to see!!
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2006, 01:55 AM   #12
Mean Mister Mustard
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlegirl9977
ROFL Oh lord, that'd be funny to see!!
Potential shownames, based on Beatle songtitles

We Can Work It Out
Oh! Darling
Old Jun 06, 2006, 05:47 AM   #13
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

wow. i find that whole article a bit strange...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2006, 05:53 AM   #14
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mister Mustard
Potential shownames, based on Beatle songtitles

We Can Work It Out
Oh! Darling
Or if it's done "The Bachelor" style, here's some to consider:

I Wanna Be Your Man
Love Me Do or
Come Together

Heehee. Silliness for me right now is good.
Old Jun 06, 2006, 06:07 AM   #15
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonluvr9
wow. i find that whole article a bit strange...
It IS strange! VERY!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:04 PM   #16
sadie
Sun King

A quote from Jane Asher just after she and Paul split, who knows, maybe? Not sure what Gerald would say though

"I haven't broken it off, but it is broken off,finished.....I know it sounds corny, but we still see each other, and love each other, but it hasn't worked out. Perhaps we'll be childhood sweethearts and meet again, and get married when we're about seventy.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 04:31 AM   #17
Marmalade Skies
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill
Come Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
A quote from Jane Asher just after she and Paul split, who knows, maybe? Not sure what Gerald would say though
I haven't broken it off, but it is broken off,finished.....I know it sounds corny, but we still see each other, and love each other, but it hasn't worked out. Perhaps we'll be childhood sweethearts and meet again, and get married when we're about seventy.
I do hope he gets back with Jane! I always liked Jane! And, from what I hear she works with Autism research
Marmalade Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:12 AM   #18
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmalade Skies
I do hope he gets back with Jane! I always liked Jane! And, from what I hear she works with Autism research
I think that quote was quite old. Like, reeeeally old! I know that Jane is happily married and happily baking.