BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jun 04, 2006, 01:37 PM   #21
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmalade Skies
We lost Santa's Village?!
I didnt know that!!

Alittle off topic, yes.
Well, it's not totally gone as of yet. However, I don't think they've even opened for the season yet, according to what I last read in the paper a few weeks ago--they owe $85,000 to the village they're located in, and there are other financial problems that have come up as well. Their website isn't working, either, so maybe they did close for good.

If Kiddieland closes, though, I swear, I'm gonna be livid. I know they'll end up putting up something stupid like a WalMart or whatever on that property if it gets sold.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 01:42 PM   #22
Marmalade Skies
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlegirl9977
Well, it's not totally gone as of yet. However, I don't think they've even opened for the season yet, according to what I last read in the paper a few weeks ago--they owe $85,000 to the village they're located in, and there are other financial problems that have come up as well. Their website isn't working, either, so maybe they did close for good.

If Kiddieland closes, though, I swear, I'm gonna be livid. I know they'll end up putting up something stupid like a WalMart or whatever on that property if it gets sold.
What a pity! I have lots of happy memories at both locations.
Marmalade Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 01:45 PM   #23
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dreamer
As you know BG I grew up where you still live and everytime I go back to visit my family- well- to paraphrase a well known song by a well-known band... Things have changed forever and not for better.
I already live in Plasticville USA and you know despite that sentiment of the locals it remains the numreo uno tourist destination! Funny ol' world isn't it?
Sure is. All we have up and down the main street near my house is the big box stores and tons of fast food chains. All the small local places in the area are long gone--the mini-golf course, the roller rink, Paddle Wheel, etc. Oh, and did you know the Come Back Inn closed, and so did Val's Halla in Oak Park?
Old Jun 04, 2006, 04:10 PM   #24
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

You know though BG, I actually did go to Bill's Pub (Mundelein- where I grew up) and it's been there since 1952. So I guess there's hope still... I mean big box and fast food chains can't be everywhere can they? I'm sorry for your losses there in Oak Park, you're closer to the city there and maybe that's why- not sure.

Sad about Santa's VIllage too- I went there lots when I was a kid...

Last edited by Dr. Dreamer : Jun 04, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Dr. Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 04:53 PM   #25
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
You know though BG, I actually did go to Bill's Pub (Mundelein- where I grew up) and it's been there since 1952. So I guess there's hope still... I mean big box and fast food chains can't be everywhere can they? I'm sorry for your losses there in Oak Park, you're closer to the city there and maybe that's why- not sure.

Sad about Santa's VIllage too- I went there lots when I was a kid...
Oh yeah, there are some places left (Russell's Barbecue is still there, and they even opened a second one in the Arlington Heights/Rolling Meadows area.)
Old Jun 04, 2006, 07:18 PM   #26
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

We've lost Mervyn's in my town and a few others.

All the Mays Corporation stores will be renamed Macy's.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 08:29 PM   #27
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
All the Mays Corporation stores will be renamed Macy's.
Yeah, so they can run national ad campaigns. Woo hoo. I'll start shopping at Carson's, thankyouverymuch.
Old Jun 05, 2006, 06:39 AM   #28
Magill
Sun King

Macy's recently acquired Filene's out here. I'm sure it's the same out west with Robinson's May, the west coast version of Filene's. That Macy's is one big !
Old Jun 05, 2006, 06:41 AM   #29
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
We've lost Mervyn's in my town and a few others.
I loved Mervyn's! Are they going out of business too? I wish they were out here. I'd keep them in business!
Old Jun 05, 2006, 06:46 AM   #30
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Um...people...I hate to do this...but can we please bring this back to a discussion of Cafe LaFortuna? I know it's annoying that so many institutions are closing all over the place, but...

At any rate -- in answer to Dr. Dreamer's question -- it is highly unlikely that Starbuck's would buy a place like LaFortuna and "leave it as is," simply because they have a "corporate look" that they maintain. I mean, even the Starbuck's inside a Barnes and Noble "looks" like a Starbuck's, you know?

Now, it's not certain that Starbuck's will take over LaF, but regardless of what goes in there it will certainly be a blow to the neighborhood and quite sad, frankly.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 10:09 AM   #31
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

I hope that there are people in this world who save the cafe from being demolished in four years.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 01:10 PM   #32
62hofner

Hey, you Chicagoans (or, are you Chicagoites?)...

Having only a brief stop-off visit to Chicago under my belt, as my train passed through going from NYC to L.A., I don't know what Café LaFortuna is. What is (was?) it? I'm curious, and am always sad when a long-time establishment goes away.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 05, 2006 at 01:11 PM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2006, 01:31 PM   #33
HMVNipper
Sun King

Cafe LaFortuna is in New York, not Chicago. The thread took a bit of a turn into a discussion about Chicago landmarks -- now I'm glad I got this back on topic! Anyway, it's a cafe on West 71st Street off Columbus Avenue, and it is where John and Yoko used to spend a lot of time, as it is around the corner from the Dakota.

I posted a link above (earlier in this thread) to the cafe's website, you can get further info there. It's still open, the story is that supposedly it is going to close in four years when its lease is up.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
Old Jun 05, 2006, 02:17 PM   #34
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
Cafe LaFortuna is in New York, not Chicago. The thread took a bit of a turn into a discussion about Chicago landmarks -- now I'm glad I got this back on topic! Anyway, it's a cafe on West 71st Street off Columbus Avenue, and it is where John and Yoko used to spend a lot of time, as it is around the corner from the Dakota.

I posted a link above (earlier in this thread) to the cafe's website, you can get further info there. It's still open, the story is that supposedly it is going to close in four years when its lease is up.
Ahhhhhh... thanks! Now that I opened a can of worms...

I have to admit that - even though I am originally from CT, and spent many a day in NYC - I never went there or even knew where it was, obviously.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2006, 04:55 AM   #35
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

I apologize for pulling us off topic. So sorry... my bad ...
Old Jun 08, 2006, 01:11 PM   #36
HMVNipper
Sun King

Cool

Quote:
I apologize for pulling us off topic. So sorry... my bad ...
It wasn't a big deal, honestly! Topics do take a turn, that's why I let it run for a while -- the discussion about local landmarks and institutions closing was a natural tangent, actually. Don't sweat it, Shar!