BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jun 02, 2006, 02:46 PM   #1
davulture
Fool On The Hill

Default Re: Why the Beatles were better then the Monkees

I'm ashamed that so many people from the Uk and the United States think the Monkees are better then America. Then again their elected officials are Tony Blair and George W. Bush, so it doesn't surprise me. Now let's list all the reasons that the Beatles are better then the lame Monkees.
davulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2006, 03:09 PM   #2
beatles fan
Sun King

eerr the music, looks, personallity and alot and alot more!

"Hi i'm John Lennon and I play the guitar and sometimes I play the fool"- Live at the BBC

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/r6213_c.jpg
beatles fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2006, 07:00 PM   #3
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

To me there's really no comparison to be made; they're like apples and oranges. Each band came about under completely different circumstances. I do like the Monkees a lot, actually, for what they are... Same way I like the Beatles for what they are.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Lt. Pepper
Little Child

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlegirl9977
To me there's really no comparison to be made; they're like apples and oranges. Each band came about under completely different circumstances. I do like the Monkees a lot, actually, for what they are... Same way I like the Beatles for what they are.
I don't think you can compare any band to the Beatles! If I was to list bands on a scale of one to ten with the best band s getting a ten, then the beatles would get a score of 50! This is no exageration they were and are that much more amazing then anyone else! I like other bands, I even like the Monkees, but there are no other bands in the same league in any way with the Beatles. I would give the Monkees a 7, Led Zeplin a 9, The Rolling Stones a 10, The Doors an 8, Rush an 8, The Who and 8.5, the Beatles a 50, U2 a 8.5, Pearl Jam a 7.5, Paul a 9.5, John a 8.5, George a 8, and Ringo a 7.5.
Lt. Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2006, 09:05 PM   #5
maclen1210
Fool On The Hill

well the truth is the Beatles were an organic product of the chance meeting of teenaged Lennon and McCartney who were both into rock n roll, and with the addition of George Harrison, struggled early with the group in Liverpool for about 3 years and then fully developed as a group in Hamburg after 2 years before finally hitting it big, ( with the addition on Ringo of course)... not just as performers but as songwriters, producers etc... The monkees were a manufactured copycat group put together for a tv show, made in the mold of Help!, who even though Nesmith and Peter Tork were actually musicians, didnt even play on the songs that were written for the group the first couple of years of the show... the difference is pretty obvious....
maclen1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Love Fest1969
Apple Scruff

Send a message via MSN to Love Fest1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Love Fest1969

The only cute person in the Monkees is Davy Jones and The Beatles music is way better.
Old Jun 02, 2006, 09:50 PM   #7
.Psychedelic.Stars.
Taxman

Weren't the Monkees formed by some company? Auditions and stuff?
Pretty lame how they didn't even start out as friends or anything.
Old Jun 02, 2006, 09:58 PM   #8
maclen1210
Fool On The Hill

right, formed by NBC in 1966...
maclen1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2006, 10:09 PM   #9
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Yup, kind of like a '60s version of "Making the Band," really. They did eventually gain creative control over their music and played their own songs on their third and fourth albums... but again, it's an apples-to-oranges thing; they're hard to compare!
Old Jun 03, 2006, 04:22 AM   #10
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

The Monkees were the first ever manufactured boy-band. They never played their own instruments and were formed purely for a TV program. How anybody can compare and subsequantly say that they were better than the Beatles is beyond me!
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 05:44 AM   #11
jtal909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlegirl9977
They did eventually gain creative control over their music and played their own songs on their third and fourth albums...
And that was their downfall.
Not particularly the instruments but they had talented people like Neil Diamond writing for them at first (I'm A Believer).
The celebrity went to their heads and they believed they were true artists although they were artists to some extent, and when they got creative control it started downhill.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 06:29 AM   #12
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Talking about Beatles Monkees Bush and Blair in the same post doesn't quite give me any kicks, but honestly I don't believe that the Monkees are generally regarded to be even in the same league as the B.

Monkees' concern is to find out what was actually good in them.

- Biggles

Last edited by BadLittleKid : Jun 03, 2006 at 06:30 AM.
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 09:12 AM   #13
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtal909
And that was their downfall.
Not particularly the instruments but they had talented people like Neil Diamond writing for them at first (I'm A Believer).
The celebrity went to their heads and they believed they were true artists although they were artists to some extent, and when they got creative control it started downhill.
That is so true. They had good songs and a great comedic timing. But they got bored during the second season and wanted to change the format to a variety Laugh-In type show. NBC said no and cancelled their show. The sad thing is, they never made it big without the show. And let's not forget Mike's bitterness toward the Monkee's by refusing to reunite with them in 1986.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 09:13 AM   #14
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

I would say the beatles are better than the Monkees is cuz of their music.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 09:18 AM   #15
VersusBatman
Sun King

What bugged me about Mike is that he seemed to feel he was above being a Monkee. I watched an episode with his commentaries and he totally phoned it in. I sensed he didn't want to do it and he didn't talk about the episode(Which was one of my favorites BTW). He just rambled about what car he used to have or something like that. Highly disappointing.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
Old Jun 03, 2006, 09:45 AM   #16
Jongo McHarrison
Nowhere Man

Has anyone actually said that the "Monkees are better [than] America"? Or the Beatles? That's about as stupid as refering to the Monkees as lame.

I don't really want to post on this thread since it was obviously designed to slam the Monkees for something nobody's said or done, but since they're denigrated regardless of the facts, I can't see any harm in speaking up.

They started as an arranged group but decided to write and play their own music not out of arrogance but because it was their names going out on these records. Despite having Neil Diamond, Sedaka, Carole King, etc. writing their stuff, they decided that it was deceitfull to pretend that they were a real group and told their company that if music were to be released under their name they would be supplying it. I find it commendable that they risked their popularity in favour of being truthfull. Them becoming a real band was like Sean Connery really breaking into Fort Knox to prove he should be Bond.

And as for them being "lame":

For Pete's Sake
The Girl I knew Somewhere
Do I have to do this all over again
Can You Dig It
Randy Scouse Git
Sunny Girlfriend
Midnight Train
You and I
Circle Sky
Jongo McHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 10:07 AM   #17
VersusBatman
Sun King

I actually like their songs. I think Star Collector is cool.

Old Jun 03, 2006, 10:13 AM   #18
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I'd like to meet the so-called many people who consider the Monkees better than the Beatles. The only ones I've met who said that were joking around.

Although the Monkees do kick ass, they aren't quite up there with the Beatles.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 10:21 AM   #19
VersusBatman
Sun King

I would like to know how they are better than the Beatles.

Old Jun 03, 2006, 03:24 PM   #20
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongo McHarrison
And as for them being "lame":

The Girl I knew Somewhere
Sunny Girlfriend
Midnight Train
Three of my favorites right there. I never heard Midnight Train 'til a couple years ago; I thought it was great!