BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Mar 21, 2004, 06:53 AM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default Yellow Cat\'s McCartney Mania bootleg reviews.

I want to review two McCartney bootlegs which I bought recently. Both released on the Yellow Cat bootleg label.

Beatle Orginials SoloYC067, released in 2000. Is an compilation of Beatles songs done live by McCartney solo. They orginate from the Oobu Joobu shows and comes from soundchecks and rehearsals. Paul often played songs as so called Mock versions,parody's of songs, which some of these versions are. The sound quality is excelent and while there is nothing new on this cd, it's an enjoyable cd to listen to with some great versions. Mother's Nature's Son being one highlight.

JPGR.co Beatles Original Solo info

The second one is a bit more recent and perhaps the last Yellow Cat release so far.

For Freedom, Peace and Her Majesty YC076 2002, gathers Paul's appearances from the past 3 years, beginning with the concert for New York, which everyone might have a dozen time.

The second concert is the Oslo, concert for peace 100th anniversary nobel peace price, from December 11th 2001.
Which really isn't to special as Paul plays no unigue songs. He plays "Your Loving Flame" and "Freedom" alone with band,both songs he dedicated to George Harrison. What makes the versions different from the other live versions is the orchestra.

Performing with McCartey on "Let It Be" are Wyclef Jean, Anastacia, Natalie Imbruglia, A-ha, Youssou N'Dour and Russel Watson.The version is forgetable. Paul's part is alright,Morten Harket from A-ha is o.k. but dissapoints considering what he can do with his voice normally, and then we got all these others trading a few lines, each sounding more horible then the other, forget it.

The 3th part is the Jubilee concert, June 3 2002.
Which was nice to watch on T.V., but to be honest it really wasn't Paul's best performance,and I am not only talking about Paul's intro on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps. On this cd we get the complete concert instead of just the few songs on the official release."All You Need Is Love" should have been left alone, each performer does a terible job singing the song, and I just can't listen to how they rape the song. "Hey Jude" is a bit better as we have more Paul, but still forget about.Watching the Jubilee concert on T.V. once is alright, but this is not for repeat listening.

The last part is an interview with Paul for Norwegian NRK television, on which Paul tells about holding George's hand before his dead.

I only bought this one to be complete, but I can't really recommend this cd to anyone, not even A-ha fans for the "Let It Be" part.You will miss nothing special if you decide not to buy it. For completists only.

For Freedom Peace and Her Majesty.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:07 AM   #2
onosideboards
Taxman

Default Re: Yellow Cat\'s McCartney Mania bootleg reviews.

Thanks for the review, Legs. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Are all the Beatles soundcheck songs found on Oobu Joobu?
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:31 AM   #3
Legs
Sun King

I can't say for sure cause I don't have all the Oobuu Joobu cd's, but from what I read and could compare, "Back In the U.S.S.R." "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be", the songs seems to be taken from the Oobuu Joobu cd-s. Also Yellow Cat released both the Oobuu Joobu cd-s and this one, so it is most likely that they just made a compilation, but a very enjoyable compilation cd it is, I play it a lot.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:43 AM   #4
onosideboards
Taxman

Yeah, good point about the Yellow Cat connection. Thanks!
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote