BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Mar 06, 2004, 02:44 PM   #1
onosideboards
Taxman

Default Rocking Chair in Hawaii first played during ATMP sessions

Maybe this is old news, but just in case:

I just got a copy of Silent Sea's 6-disc ATMP outtakes and remixes set, called Art of Dying.

Disc 3, track 3 has a song called Down to the River. I thought, what a coincidence since he had a song with a similar line on Brainwashed. Turns out, it's pretty much the same song as Rocking Chair in Hawaii. The notes say it's an "outtake, stereo remix from RS1 (mono)."

I love these little finds on bootlegs. How funny that he'd been thinking about this fairly simple song for so long. It's sounds like just a jam on the bootleg.

On a side note, the song that follows Down to the River is a fun rendition of Get Back, fronted by George, that I'd never heard before. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2004, 09:51 PM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Re: Rocking Chair in Hawaii first played during ATMP sessions

Oh yes, Down To The River is the Yodel song from the ATMP sessions which became Rocking Chair and when you listen well, you may also think that George was a bit under the influence of some herbal tea or something else [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] whereas on Get Back you can hear him ask Mal Evans for "a mop and another glass of orange juice".

Another one that may be on it is "I don't want to do it" which years later was used for Porky's Revenge. And maybe "You" as well

There are some great left overs from these sessions..
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2004, 07:21 AM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

Yeah, I already had I Don't Want to Do It someplace else. I really like that song.

I think You is on there.

Thanks, FPSHOT.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 10:39 PM   #4
Legs
Sun King

I recently read through the tracklists of the 6 cd-s and this is it. If you want to be ready in one go all you need to do, it seems, is get hold of this set.

Saves new fans searching for many bootlegs, as the material is taken from.
"The Making Of All Things Must Pass"
"All Things Must Surface" or Strawberry's version "All Things Must Pass,the apple accetates"
"Beware Of Abcko"
"A True Legend"
"Songs For Petty"

It's easier for new fans, just to look for one complete set. It can be expensive tho, buying six cd-s at once, if you don't trade.Me I am glad to have the orginal above mentioned Strawberry, MB cd-s complete with booklets.

[size="1"][ Mar 26, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 06:36 AM   #5
onosideboards
Taxman

I agree that this is a great set for a new GH bootleg collector, but I find it difficult to hear the same song over and over again. Also, it made me miss the running order of Beware of ABCKO.

Which reminds me of a question: is the running order of Beware of ABCKO the same as the original source tape? Or what is the source?
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
I agree that this is a great set for a new GH bootleg collector, but I find it difficult to hear the same song over and over again. Also, it made me miss the running order of Beware of ABCKO.

Which reminds me of a question: is the running order of Beware of ABCKO the same as the original source tape? Or what is the source?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I know what you mean. For me to listen to "Apple Scruffs" 5 times in a row is a bit to much, as it isn't a favourite of mine.

It's more beautiful to hear George just on his acoustic guitar, presenting his songs to Phil Spector in May 27 1970 at Apple.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:41 AM   #7
onosideboards
Taxman

But do you have an answer to my question? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:46 AM   #8
onosideboards
Taxman

Interesting...I just read this on the Beatlefan website:

http://www.beatlefan.com/

Quote:
In Beatlefan #139, we passed along our pal Weed's revelation that "Rocking Chair in Hawaii" on George Harrison's "Brainwashed" album featured a note-for-note nick from Hank Williams' "Long Gone Lonesome Blues". Well, someone who knows hick music even better than Weed, has pointed out that ole Hank himself nicked the tune from an old blues melody used by more than one 1920s blues singer under more than one title. And this just in! We have it from our recently unfrozen Neanderthal pal Grog that it goes back a lot farther than that! Some guy called Atouk, it seems . . .
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Again, might be old news, but still relevant. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Mar 27, 2004, 09:04 AM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
But do you have an answer to my question? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Only a part of your question, I can only guess that it's in its orginial order as played on that May the 27th session by listening to the tape.
The book 8 arms to hold you has the 20th of may as date, and list the same order as on Beware Of Abcko, but I asume they just copied theorder from the bootleg.

Again I can only asume that the bootleger has the original tape, judging from the great sound quality, and transfered it directly onto cd. I wish I had that tape to know for sure.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 09:11 AM   #10
Legs
Sun King

And thanks for the link Ono, it might be old news but not for me, and perhaps others.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:42 PM   #11
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Interesting...I just read this on the Beatlefan website:

http://www.beatlefan.com/

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif"> In Beatlefan #139, we passed along our pal Weed's revelation that "Rocking Chair in Hawaii" on George Harrison's "Brainwashed" album featured a note-for-note nick from Hank Williams' "Long Gone Lonesome Blues". Well, someone who knows hick music even better than Weed, has pointed out that ole Hank himself nicked the tune from an old blues melody used by more than one 1920s blues singer under more than one title. And this just in! We have it from our recently unfrozen Neanderthal pal Grog that it goes back a lot farther than that! Some guy called Atouk, it seems . . .
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Again, might be old news, but still relevant. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, I heard about the similarity between the two songs before I think on the Abbeyrd website(maybe the person had seen it in Beatlefan). I downloaded the song and it's very similar, obviously. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The songs have the yodelly bits in common too, except George's is very very subdued in Rocking Chair. Yodelly vocals(I don't know how else to put it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) though are pretty common in this kind of so called 'hick music'.

If you get a chance to download or hear Long Gone Lonesome Blues(also maybe Lovesick Blues), do, it's quite fun to listen to.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote