BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jan 28, 2004, 03:19 PM   #1
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Yesterday and today

The article below appeared in today's New York Daily news, tracking down fans who met the Beatles on film in 1964...this seems to be the first one, and it's cute...you can barely see the picture in question behind the woman as she is today, which I have posted below...she's the little girl on John's shoulders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/01-25-200...p-138835c.html

Yesterday and today

By BRIAN HARMON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Sunday, January 25th, 2004

The little 5-year-old hoisted above three of the Beatles was downright petrified.
With a quivering lip, Debbie Fyall scanned the crowd of photographers in Central Park for her daddy.

"I was a little scared because I couldn't see my parents," said Debbie, as she recalled that moment 40 years ago when she met John, Paul and Ringo during the Beatles' maiden trip to America (George Harrison was at the hotel with the flu).

"I saw the sea of camera lenses in front of me. Then I looked over and saw my father, who said, 'It's okay, I'm here.'"

Debbie, now 45, was tracked down this week by the Daily News when Capitol Records and Apple Corps Ltd. announced a search for her and other New Yorkers pictured during the Beatles' first U.S. visit, in 1964.

Harry Benson, the photographer who lifted her to John Lennon's shoulder, confirmed Debbie Fyall, now Debbie Waugh, was indeed that little girl.

A framed photo that captured what Debbie calls her "10 seconds of fame" hangs prominently in the kitchen of the home she shares with her husband and 8-year-old daughter in Alexandria, Va.

For Eva and Enid Gonzalez, their moment of fame came when a documentary crew came to their family's midtown apartment to film them watching the Beatles' U.S. debut on the "Ed Sullivan Show."

Albert Maysles, who produced the documentary with his late brother David, confirmed that the Gonzalez girls are featured in the film.

"I saw their pictures, and, yep, it's them," said the veteran filmmaker.

Maysles and the Gonzalez sisters will meet again, courtesy of Capitol Records. They're flying to New York today for a Beatles gala tomorrow morning at The Plaza hotel.

The event will celebrate the American launch of the remastered DVD documentary of the Beatles' historic visit. "I was such a Paul [McCartney] fanatic. I would sit there for hours and hours playing their songs over and over," said Enid, a Unilever clerk who, along with Eva, moved to Puerto Rico over 20 years ago. Enid has two grown sons, and Eva is raising two teenagers.

There would be another brush with the Beatles for Enid, one far more tragic. On the night Lennon was fatally shot, Enid was working as a secretary on the fifth floor of Roosevelt Hospital, where the ex-Beatle was pronounced dead. For Waugh, meeting the Beatles was a matter of knowing the right person. Her father, Andrew Fyall, was a London Daily Express reporter following the Beatles.

"I remember my parents in the morning saying, 'Get dressed. We're going to see the Beatles.' And I didn't really know what that meant," said Waugh, now a part-time teacher at a horticulture center.

"I remember John Lennon asking me my name and how old I was. He hoisted me up onto his shoulders. I was the only kid around at that point."

Waugh, who'll miss the gala tomorrow because of a travel conflict, said she became "a great fan" of the Beatles. "It's always been a big part of my life. It's been a great conversation piece," she said of the picture. "People often do a double-take when they see it and say, 'Is that really you?'"
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

Default Re: Yesterday and today

Here are a couple pictures from that day (it's the same girl according to the caption on both pictures).

Norwegian_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:57 PM   #3
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Oh man, you guys are SO not going to like the article I'm writing....hee hee hee....
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 06:16 PM   #4
SF4-EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Oh man, you guys are SO not going to like the article I'm writing....hee hee hee....
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Why is that, Rell? You can't drop a hint like that and leave us hanging. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 03:52 AM   #5
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By SF4-EVER:
Why is that, Rell? You can't drop a hint like that and leave us hanging. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Well, it's basically kind of critical (in a snarky, sarcastic way, not an overtly nasty one) about digging up all these people with tangential Beatles connections....this one isn't so bad because she seems cool about it, but that one where they mounted the nationwide manhunt for that woman who didn't want to be found....man, too much.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 04:04 AM   #6
SF4-EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By SF4-EVER:
Why is that, Rell? You can't drop a hint like that and leave us hanging. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Well, it's basically kind of critical (in a snarky, sarcastic way, not an overtly nasty one) about digging up all these people with tangential Beatles connections....this one isn't so bad because she seems cool about it, but that one where they mounted the nationwide manhunt for that woman who didn't want to be found....man, too much.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I agree with you. If someone doesn't want to be found or doesn't want the publicity, people ought to respect that.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote