BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:22 AM   #1
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

Default We believe in yesterday... why the Beatles still rule the world

Published in the Yorkshire Post today, Monday 13th April 2009 an article by Chris Bond

Due to copyright I have posted a couple of paragraphs but pkease follow the link for the full report.

We believe in yesterday... why the Beatles still rule the world

WHEN Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr appeared on stage together for a charity gig in New York the other day, it was the first time they had done so in seven years.

It was an unabashed night of nostalgia, but fans of the Fab Four have been given something else to look forward to with the news that each of The Beatles' original albums are being re-released on the same day.

Engineers at the Abbey Road studios in London, where The Beatles recorded their songs under the watchful eye of George Martin, have spent the last four years painstakingly remastering the music from the original analogue tapes. Apple Corps and EMI said the result was "the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release", while at the same time maintaining "the authenticity and integrity" of the original recordings.

Each cd will come with the original album art, along with booklets including original and new sleeve notes and mini-documentaries on the making of each record. Fans will be able to buy albums individually, or as a special box set. It will, in other words, be an unfettered Beatles-fest. The band already holds the record for most number one albums – 15 – and the simultaneous release of 14 discs raises the possibility that they could occupy every spot in the album chart top 10. And you wouldn't bet against it happening.

They transformed rock 'n' roll and pop into what became rock music. "They had tremendous performing and songwriting talent, not only John and Paul, but George wrote some fantastic songs and the likelihood of having three gifted songwriters in the same band is very remote."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/featu...why.5165949.jp

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:01 PM   #2
John Cee
Day Tripper

In "ALL TOGETHER NOW", the documentary on the making of Cirque Du Soleil's THE BEATLES LOVE, Paul says to Ringo "Now I can say it -- we were a f**king great band," and that sums it up nicely.... first and last, the Beatles were a GREAT BAND. They'll never get old.

I've got nothing to say, but it's okay!
GOOD MORNING!
GOOD MORNING!!
GOOD MORNING!!!
John Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 05:46 AM   #3
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I concur...they still sound different from anything current I hear now (which, frankly, isnt much). I remember in grade school I was sometimes teased for liking an "old band" but once I got to high school I saw that liking the Beatles and those other "old bands" made you cool and put you on a different level than the rest. It kinda stated you were a bit of a nonconformist as well...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:25 AM   #4
getback
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeatlechick View Post
The band already holds the record for most number one albums – 15 – and the simultaneous release of 14 discs raises the possibility that they could occupy every spot in the album chart top 10. And you wouldn't bet against it happening.

it will be very interesting to see how well these will sell, thus contributing to the overall sales tallies of the albums.
getback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5
taxman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by getback View Post
it will be very interesting to see how well these will sell, thus contributing to the overall sales tallies of the albums.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the albums will reach the Top 10, maybe 2 or 3 only.

This is a relaease for the "hardcore" fans, the casual fans will buy just 2 or 3 albums, and not the same ones, or will be just satisfied with what they already have, and won't buy anything at all.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6
getback
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the albums will reach the Top 10, maybe 2 or 3 only.

This is a relaease for the "hardcore" fans, the casual fans will buy just 2 or 3 albums, and not the same ones, or will be just satisfied with what they already have, and won't buy anything at all.
if all the casual fans bought 2-3 albums and the harcores the entire set, you're talking sales of many, many millions, which would significantly boost the already impressive totals. i still question the power of the cd, however, in today's market. apple missed the boat bigtime by not doing this 5 years ago.
getback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:16 AM   #7
taxman
Taxman

The thing is that the entire set will count as just one title.
If someone buys Revolver, and another one buys the set, for the charts it will count just one Revolver.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote