BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Dec 03, 2009, 04:51 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default Beatles academic research plan for Liverpool Hope University

In addition to the MA course they offer.....

Beatles academic research plan for Liverpool Hope University

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...ms_ss=facebook

A BEATLES academic research centre could open in the city within two years under ambitious new plans. The Beatles, Popular Music and Society centre would be home to the globe’s leading researchers and historians from the world of music and popular culture.

If it gets the go-ahead, the academic base would also be the nerve centre for research into The Fab Four and their role in establishing Merseyside’s links with the wider world.

The idea is the brainchild of Dr Mike Brocken, senior lecturer in popular music at Liverpool Hope University.

Although at the drawing board stage, the Daily Post understands senior officials at the university have reacted warmly to the idea.

They will now establish just how feasible an option bringing such a centre to its Everton-base Cornerstone campus is.

Dr Brocken’s idea comes after the runaway success of Hope’s unique Beatles, Popular Music and Society masters degree qualification.

Launched in September, the course has The Beatles as its backbone, but also examines popular music in general and its effect on society since the 1960s.

It has proved such a success that students from all over the world applied for the one-year course.

The 12 successful applicants hail from as far afield as Canada and Venezuela, as well as from home soil.

The university has also been besieged by international TV crews from all corners of the globe including Brazil, Japan and Germany who have visited the university to take an inside look at what the world’s first MA on The Beatles entails.

And last night Dr Brocken told the Daily Post he would like to take things a step further and establish a centre for academic research into The Beatles and popular music and their role within society.

He said: “I am particularly excited about the way the students have adapted to this very challenging programme.Š

“Applications have already started pouring in for the next academic year, and I am eager to announce that Liverpool Hope University is in the early stages of establishing the centre for academic research.”

The university’s pro-vice chancellor, Professor Bill Chambers, stressed the university hierarchy had yet to examine Dr Brocken’s idea.

But he said it was clear there “is a lot of mileage” in the centre proposal.

If it is approved by university management, it could be based at its Everton-based Cornerstone arts campus in 2011.

He said the main users of the centre would likely to be PhD students likely to hail from the popular music field, as well as historians and music journalists.

Research topics could be as diverse as the influence Indian culture had on The Beatles, to why countries like Japan took so enthusiastically to the Liverpool band. Researchers would also use the centre as a base to unearth new information on the Fab Four.

Prof Chambers said: “There’s still so much information unknown about The Beatles, so where better to carry out research than here?”

City leader Cllr Warren Bradley last night said he “welcomed” the plan, which he said would not just benefit students but the economy from the extra visitors.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 06:15 AM   #2
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Argh! More evidence that I really did this 'college' thing the wrong way...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

The Beatles and their nonpareil works and career definitely has a place in the intellectual world.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote