BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Aug 09, 2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Hari's Chick

Smile the Grateful Dead Thread

Get on the bus...

Let's chat about the Dead!!

Here's a video with the peeps!!!

Old Aug 09, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

This is one band I never took the time to really listen to, and I regrettably have never been to one of their concerts.

I've seen Belinda Carlisle but I shunned The Dead. I deserve a good
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Hari's Chick

Well, it's never too late to discover the Grateful Dead! And... you can still see Bobby? (I know, it's not Jerry... but Jerry is there in beautiful spirit).

Here's a really funny look at the question... is there ... life after Jerry? The last minute of course sucks, but otherwise it is quite funny....

JT, they are from NJ ...

Eyes of the World~~~

Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:53 AM   #4
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I love the Grateful Dead! "St. Stephen" and "Uncle John's Band" are my favorite songs!

And who could forget "Throwing Stones" and "Sugar Magnolia!"

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:10 AM   #5
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

No one, absolutely no one, can make a sad song sadder and more anxiety laden than the Grateful Dead: Black Peter, Candyman, Death Don't Have No Mercy, Stella Blue... and more, no doubt. Its like Jerry undersood desolation so well, its a wonder he lived as long as he did.

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:51 PM   #6
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBOISVERT View Post
No one, absolutely no one, can make a sad song sadder and more anxiety laden than the Grateful Dead: Black Peter, Candyman, Death Don't Have No Mercy, Stella Blue... and more, no doubt. Its like Jerry undersood desolation so well, its a wonder he lived as long as he did.

Yes.. also Warf Rat... you are so right. Jerry had that voice, you know, which lent itself to that. It could just break your heart in two. Once he did this Stella Blue which was unlike ever before. I swear the crowd was just in awe. At the end Jerry dedicated it to a roadie who he'd just found out was killed en route to the show. That was Jerry's open heart- it just poured out through the music to all the audience.

Jerry had some life before the Dead. I found this, which is a good sort of brief telling of Jerry's early life.. such an amazing fellow.

Greenfield: This is a guy who carried a lot of emotional weight. At age four, his older brother Tiff chops his finger off. It's an accident; they're playing with an ax. So he's maimed -- a kid has to be sensitive about that. A year later, Jerry's on the beach when his father drowns. Jerry's mother loves him, but she's running a bar. She remarries, an ex-stevedore who can't really relate to Jerry or his brother. And Jerry is cast adrift. He's on his own from the time he's eight or nine, and he doesn't even finish high school. He joins the army at the age of sixteen, but he's such a bad soldier it's hysterical. "Private Garcia, you left the tank in the . . . " "Oh, I'm sorry." "Private Garcia, you were supposed to be back here three days ago." "I'm sorry." He apologized his way out of the army.

Now he's seventeen and living in his car in Palo Alto. You could make a good argument that everything recognized as a unique part of American culture lumped under the term "the sixties" came out of Palo Alto. Ken Kesey's at Stanford, and Robert Stone and all these high-powered writers are getting weird. And Jerry is part of this street scene. Jerry said to me, "The Kesey people were Apollonian and we were Dionysian." In other words, these people don't have any limits. And they're taking acid before anybody. They were living in a beatnik culture of coffee houses and literature. Jerry was quoting from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. He had sections of it memorized. This guy was a self-educated, full-blown intellectual who was dedicating his life to making music.

There was no place for somebody like Jerry to go at that point. No one who wasn't alive in the early sixties can imagine what show business was like. It was completely straight. It was all, you know, The Ed Sullivan Show. There was no Dylan yet. So there was not much Jerry could do.

I don't think people understand that Jerry didn't have to take LSD to become Jerry. This guy was fully formed by the time he got himself thrown out of the army. And everybody who met him knew this. When [Grateful Dead bassist] Phil Lesh met Jerry, he said, "I don't like him. He's too powerful." Jerry had so much charisma. People always looked at him. They always wanted to hang out with him.

A story I really like from that era is told by Sandy Rothman, a bluegrass musician who played with Jerry. Jerry was working at Dana Morgan Music, and a guy came into the music store, took a guitar off the wall and just started playing really fast and furious. Then all of a sudden he stopped. He put the guitar back on the wall and Jerry said, "What's the matter, man? Run out of talent?" He had this cutting edge. He was a very sardonic guy. Poked fun at every thing. Saw through it all.

http://www.levity.com/gans/SFFocus.html
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:05 PM   #7
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Did Lennon ever meet Jerry?

That would have been an interesting parry and thrust encounter.

Last edited by kmac : Aug 10, 2007 at 02:17 PM.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:46 PM   #8
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

Jerry had this geeky way about him—his cool was an almost nerdy cool—whereas John's cool was edgier, more aggressive. I don't know how well they would have understood each other, even though they had a tremendous amount in common, it would seem, from childhood to acid to heroine to banjo to peace to pouring out heartache through music... and beyond.

An afterthought: John's instinct, I think, was often to play a song faster (think of his version of Peggy Sue), whereas Jerry would take even an up-tempo song (like Chuck Berry's "Let it Rock") and slow it down until it was almost unrecognizable.

Last edited by AMBOISVERT : Aug 10, 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

John and Jerry... here's a little story I'd never seen before...

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/12/01/085349.php

In the early '70s Jerry Garcia was starting to make solo records when the Grateful Dead weren't working. On one of those first efforts he recorded "Imagine." Before a Jerry Garcia Band show, in New York, John Lennon came by to thank him. Lennon told Jerry that his version of "Imagine" was the first time someone had covered one of John's solo tunes.

After the show they talked for a while and Jerry invited John to come back the next night to join him on stage. John said he would return the following day and do a sound check with the Garcia Band so they could work up a few tunes. Lennon never came back and Garcia thought that all the imposing Hell's Angels hanging out backstage might have "scared him off."
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:11 PM   #10
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I have that version of "Imagine." It's an instrumental on the album Fire Up. The album is credited to "Merle Saunders and Friends" but the album features Jerry prominently throughout.

Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:25 AM   #11
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:21 AM   #12
Hari's Chick

Little Red Rooster

Jerry! Bobby!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:27 AM   #13
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBOISVERT View Post
I have that version of "Imagine." It's an instrumental on the album Fire Up. The album is credited to "Merle Saunders and Friends" but the album features Jerry prominently throughout.

Oh, gotta find that one!!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:34 AM   #14
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Excellent cover of Willie Dixon's Little Red Rooster made famous by Howlin' Wolf.

Here is Jerry and David Grisman on Letterman - Friend of the Devil

Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:26 AM   #15
jtal909
Sun King

Stella Blue is one of the most beautifully written bluesy ballad melodies and performances ever.

If this song can't heal you nothing will :)
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:07 AM   #16
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Default ramble on rose (crank it up, real good sound quality!)

Btw, this is a Live performance in case you thought it might just be a bunch of deadheads dancing to a dead song

Last edited by pattiboyd's slave : Aug 14, 2007 at 04:56 PM.
pattiboyd's slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:33 PM   #17
Hari's Chick

Default Uncle John's Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
I love the Grateful Dead! "St. Stephen" and "Uncle John's Band" are my favorite songs!

And who could forget "Throwing Stones" and "Sugar Magnolia!"
Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
Here is Jerry and David Grisman on Letterman - Friend of the Devil

What a great and sweet version of 'Friend'! Paul Shaffer so blends, haha, they should have taken him into the Dead when Brent passed!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:49 PM   #19
Hari's Chick

PBS, that is an excellent Ramble on Rose! It is such a treat we have these good quality gems on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtal909 View Post
Stella Blue is one of the most beautifully written bluesy ballad melodies and performances ever.

If this song can't heal you nothing will :)
So true, JT!

Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Hari's Chick

Default Annotated Stella Blue

This is really cool... all about Stella Blue...

http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/stella.html#broken