BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Default 12 Arnold Grove before George

Hi all

I have posted this link before

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...asualty=198846

It is a soldier who died during WW1 who lived at 12 Arnold Grove.

I have been researching two war memorial in Liverpool and stumbled across this man. Some of you may be interested to learn about this man who once lived in George's house.

William Coleman enlisted into the 20th battalion of the Kings Liverpool regiment on 25 May 1915, as Private 29172. He gives his age as 17 years. William is 5 feet 2 1/4 inches tall and has a scar on his abdomen.

His father is listed as John Coleman of 12 Arnold grove, his mother is listed as deceased. He has two brothers James and John with no address listed. And three sisters Mary and Elizsabeth of 12 Arnold Grove and Alice address unknown.

William trains with the Kings Liverpool regiment then on 30 March 1916 he sails from Folkstone UK aboard S.S INVICTA to France. His regiment is at Etaples, France on 31 march. They will see action on the Western Front as the year goes on.

On 11 November 1916 William leaves Le Touquet France for England. Once there he is transferred to The 4th Northern General Hospital in Lincoln suffering from Trench foot. he spends 8 days in the hospital.

William is in the UK until leaving for France for a second time on 30 May 1917. where again he sees action on the Western front.

On 29 March 1918 he is transferred to the North Staffordshire Regiment as Private 41818. Basically they where boosting the Infantry for attack and William was selected. Just 17 days later Willian went missing in action presumed dead on 15 April. His bady was later found and he was buried at Bailluel Communal Cemetery Extension ( Nord ) in France.

This letter is dated 19 March 1919 listing William's father John.

This letter is dated 18 September 1919 listing William's friend D.M Dilworth

Laburnum Grove is very close to Arnold Grove

Reciept for William's War medals. Again signed by his friend.

Now in the 1901 census listed at 12 Arnold Grove are..................
Charles and Mary Hickson, both aged 26. Charles is a Coachman.They live with their son Charles aged 2. So a few more who lived in George's house.

Interesting in 1901 in the house next door at Number 10 Arnold grove is a Harrison family. I have no idea if they are related to George? I know his nan once lived in Albert Grove behind Arnold Grove.

the Harrison family at number 10 is................................................ .....
William 39 and Margaret 35. William is a Corporation Tram Driver and he was born in Manchester. Their children are John 16 ( Grocer Shop Boy ) Ruth 9, Isabella 3 and charlotte 2 months.

In 1891 Arnold Grove was not there. I have yet to check 1911.

Well I hope somebody finds this interesting. Its nice to see who was there before George.

Tony

Last edited by andalucia : Dec 01, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
andalucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:11 AM   #2
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

So interesting!! Do you do a lot of this research as a hobby?

12 Arnold Grove is so well known as George's old residence, I never thought about the fact that it was probably around years before he was. Sounds like there was already a lot of history there.

I LOVE this kind of individual history from WWI or II (and when it's connected to the Beatles it's even more fascinating). That's a great read andalucia!
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
andalucia
Dr. Robert

I have been researching two memorials in Liverpool. I have created sites for them

http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/

http://anthony1965.webs.com/

I have also just started a site about Liverpool Stories during the wars.

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/

Its new but interesting.

Im looking at Ringo's addresses hoping to find a link.

Tony
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by andalucia View Post
Interesting in 1901 in the house next door at Number 10 Arnold grove is a Harrison family. I have no idea if they are related to George? I know his nan once lived in Albert Grove behind Arnold Grove.
This is all so interesting to read! Thanks so much for posting this. Do you have any more info on George's grandma's house? Any photos or stories? I'd love to read any more on this.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Hari's Chick

Oh, when my Mom and I visited England we did the Beatle tour and of course saw Arnold Grove. It was for sale at the time. My Mom and I inquired about it, and at the time it was selling for around $60,000/American. My Mom said to me how much she wanted me to have the house... and I saw that look in her eye like she was about to do something hugely impulsive! I disuaded her~ it would have been hard to manage, find renters and things, from all the way in California. I was afraid it would be a headache for her in the end of things. But I almost- almost!- was one of the owners! :)
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:08 AM   #6
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Not sure what number she lived in Albert Grove. But im sure somebody will. I will ask over here.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:12 AM   #7
andalucia
Dr. Robert

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/local...es_house.shtml

Mentions it here, but not the door number.

I know it was an even number. I lived in 9 Arnold grove and it was right behind our house. so I wouls say between 6 and 14?
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Hari's Chick

Very interesting! Is a jigger like an alley? So George would've been sneaking out to see his Grandma at six and younger. How sweet is that. I wonder if she moved near them when they moved to Speke? Sounds like it was hard to get housing in the new development, so maybe not? I bet George would have missed being so near his Grandma, but maybe the allure of the new house made it tolerable. :)

It's interesting how the house was small but that they reserved the front room for guests. That's how things were in those days, I think. My parents always kept a room we were not allowed in as well. People don't do that anymore so much.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 02:19 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Tony, thank you for this information! I don't know what the Tax Records and/or Deeds & Property Records or Appraisal District Office is called in England (these are a few of the U.S. terms for looking up the ownership and history of a specific piece of property).

It is very interesting to read about the history of the house.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:10 PM   #10
andalucia
Dr. Robert

It looks like George's Nan lived at 9 Albert Grove. I was told it was right behind the house we lived in at 9 Arnold grove. The even Numbers where behind our house, but across the street is number 9.

Albert Grove is identical to Arnold Grove. Suprised that the tours dont tell this as it takes about 30 seconds to walk from George's house to his Nan.s house.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 11:32 PM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

This is really special info and takes you directly back to England in the 50's and 60's, I love it.

The front room for guests is things we had here as well, so many houses were built in that way.

Thank you so much

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:50 AM   #12
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Tony, thank you for this information! I don't know what the Tax Records and/or Deeds & Property Records or Appraisal District Office is called in England (these are a few of the U.S. terms for looking up the ownership and history of a specific piece of property).

It is very interesting to read about the history of the house.
We do have records here, cant think what they are called.

I doubt they would be very good because these houses where rented properties up to after George and his family left the area. So owned probably by the city aouncil or a private landlord. I do know that both Arnold and Albert Grove are unadopted roads. I must check what this really means?

Any of you who have been to Arnold grove. did you take a photo of the street sign? if so it may say " unadopted " below it. It did when I lived there.

Anyone going take a look for it.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:53 AM   #13
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Very interesting! Is a jigger like an alley?

It's interesting how the house was small but that they reserved the front room for guests. That's how things were in those days, I think. My parents always kept a room we were not allowed in as well. People don't do that anymore so much.
Yes a jigger is an Alley. all closed off now with gates. It would have taken George seconds to run between his and his Nans house.

I remember my nan had a room for guest. used to peek in there as a kid.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:57 AM   #14
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Oh, when my Mom and I visited England we did the Beatle tour and of course saw Arnold Grove. It was for sale at the time. My Mom and I inquired about it, and at the time it was selling for around $60,000/American. My Mom said to me how much she wanted me to have the house... and I saw that look in her eye like she was about to do something hugely impulsive! I disuaded her~ it would have been hard to manage, find renters and things, from all the way in California. I was afraid it would be a headache for her in the end of things. But I almost- almost!- was one of the owners! :)
Brilliant. you nearly owned George's house.

I remember the lady who lived there Cath or Kath i think her name was? She was a lovely lady. Did you know that George once returned and knocked on her door? She told us that she nearly fell over when she opended the door and saw him. He wanted to see his old house. Not sure when this happened?
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:34 AM   #15
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

this is all very interesting.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 12:57 PM   #16
beatlebangs1964

A jigger was a back alley where people placed trash cans for pick up.

There was another thread about the Wrath of Kath in re people turning up at the door step, wanting to see where George Harrison once lived.

Great story about George coming back to his old home - I wonder when that was as well?

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Dec 03, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Hari's Chick

Quote:
I doubt they would be very good because these houses where rented properties up to after George and his family left the area. So owned probably by the city aouncil or a private landlord. I do know that both Arnold and Albert Grove are unadopted roads. I must check what this really means?
Here's an interesting site which explains about unadopted roads.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3356

See the second post for a great explaination. And then post #46 has some pics of Wavertree. Mention of Garston, too, lol, that's all the George references I see. Maybe you can see some more? I love the pics of these unadopted roads, even trees uprooting tarmac. Such a great change of pace from how rigid things can be here, anyway. It looks charming, lol, unless you had to drive on it maybe. :D

Quote:
Yes a jigger is an Alley. all closed off now with gates. It would have taken George seconds to run between his and his Nans house.

I remember my nan had a room for guest. used to peek in there as a kid.
So sweet, little George visiting on his own. :)

We used to sneak into our front room, too.

Quote:
I remember the lady who lived there Cath or Kath i think her name was? She was a lovely lady. Did you know that George once returned and knocked on her door? She told us that she nearly fell over when she opended the door and saw him. He wanted to see his old house. Not sure when this happened?

I remember George mentioning this in "I, Me, Mine!" How cool you knew the lady who was there to meet George!! I bet they had such a nice visit! Did she share anything you can share with us about that visit? I bet, knowing George, that he backpaged and shared some lovely stories with her!
Old Dec 07, 2009, 10:30 PM   #18
beatlebangs1964

Was it George's maternal or paternal Nan?

Hari's Chick, you just said what I was thinking.

Old Dec 09, 2009, 05:52 AM   #19
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Here's an interesting site which explains about unadopted roads.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3356

I remember George mentioning this in "I, Me, Mine!" How cool you knew the lady who was there to meet George!! I bet they had such a nice visit! Did she share anything you can share with us about that visit? I bet, knowing George, that he backpaged and shared some lovely stories with her!

Hey Yo LIverpool Im a member of that site, im Spike on there. Its a nice forum.

Kath only told us that George once called, I think with Olivia? The lady who lived at number 1 ( now sadly passed away ) she remembered him as a little boy. She lived there all her life.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 05:56 AM   #20
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Was it George's maternal or paternal Nan?

Hari's Chick, you just said what I was thinking.
George's Mums mum Louise Woollam married John French and they lived at 9 Albert Grove. They had 7 children there including George's mum Louise.

I really can not believe that the tours do not take you round there? its George's history. and it is so close to Arnold grove. So if any of you are going then ask the guide when you get to Arnold grove. It will take about 30 seconds to walk there.