BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Feb 05, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Default Maharishi Mahesh Yogi died

...And with him go the "You mean he's still alive?" posts that follow every time he's discussed anywhere.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/...hi_mahesh_yogi

By MIKE CORDER, Associated Press Writer 9 minutes ago

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a guru to the Beatles who introduced the West to transcendental meditation, died Tuesday at his home in the Dutch town of Vlodrop, a spokesman said. He was thought to be 91 years old.

"He died peacefully at about 7 p.m.," said Bob Roth, a spokesman for the Transcendental Meditation movement that the Maharishi founded. He said his death appeared to be due to "natural causes, his age."

Once dismissed as hippie mysticism, the Hindu practice of mind control that Maharishi taught, called transcendental meditation, gradually gained medical respectability.

He began teaching TM in 1955 and brought the technique to the United States in 1959. But the movement really took off after the Beatles visited his ashram in India in 1968, although he had a famous falling out with the rock stars when he discovered them using drugs at his Himalayan retreat.

With the help of celebrity endorsements, Maharishi — a Hindi-language title for Great Seer — parlayed his interpretations of ancient scripture into a multi-million-dollar global empire.

After 50 years of teaching, Maharishi turned to larger themes, with grand designs to harness the power of group meditation to create world peace and to mobilize his devotees to banish poverty from the earth.

Maharishi's roster of famous meditators ran from The Rolling Stones to Clint Eastwood and new age preacher Deepak Chopra.

Director David Lynch, creator of dark and violent films, lectured at college campuses about the "ocean of tranquility" he found in more than 30 years of practicing transcendental meditation.

Some 5 million people devoted 20 minutes every morning and evening reciting a simple sound, or mantra, and delving into their consciousness.

"Don't fight darkness. Bring the light, and darkness will disappear," Maharishi said in a 2006 interview, repeating one of his own mantras.

Donations and the $2,500 fee to learn TM financed the construction of Peace Palaces, or meditation centers, in dozens of cities around the world. It paid for hundreds of new schools in India.

In 1971, Maharishi founded a university in Fairfield, Iowa, that taught meditation alongside the arts and sciences to 700 students and served organic vegetarian food in its cafeterias.

Supporters pointed to hundreds of scientific studies showing that meditation reduces stress, lowers blood pressure, improves concentration and raises results for students and businessmen.

Skeptics ridiculed his plan to raise $10 trillion to end poverty by sponsoring organic farming in the world's poorest countries. They scoffed at his notion that meditation groups, acting like psychic shock troops, can end conflict.

"To resolve problems through negotiation is a very childish approach," he said.

In 1986, two groups founded by his organization were sued in the U.S. by former disciples who accused it of fraud, negligence and intentionally inflicting emotional damage. A jury, however, refused to award punitive damages.

Over the years, Maharishi also was accused of fraud by former pupils who claim he failed to teach them to fly. "Yogic flying," showcased as the ultimate level of transcendence, was never witnessed as anything more than TM followers sitting in the cross-legged lotus position and bouncing across spongy mats.

Maharishi was born Mahesh Srivastava in central India, reportedly on Jan. 12, 1917 — though he refused to confirm the date or discuss his early life.

He studied physics at Allahabad University before becoming secretary to a well known Hindu holy man. After the death of his teacher, Maharishi went into a nomadic two-year retreat of silence in the Himalayan foothills of northern India.

With his background in physics, he brought his message to the West in a language that mixed the occult and science that became the buzz of college campuses. He described TM as "the unified field of all the laws of nature."

Maharishi's trademark flowing beard and long, graying hair appeared on the cover of the leading news magazines of the day.

But aides say Maharishi became disillusioned that TM had become identified with the counterculture, and he spent more time at his ashram in Rishikesh in the Himalayan foothills to run his global affairs.

In 1990 he moved onto the wooded grounds of a historic Franciscan monastery in the southern Dutch village of Vlodrop, about 125 miles southeast of Amsterdam.

Concerned about his fragile health, he secluded himself in two rooms of the wooden pavilion he built on the compound, speaking only by video to aides around the world and even to his closest advisers in the same building.

John Hagelin, a theoretical physicist who ran for the U.S. presidency three times on the Maharishi-backed Natural Law Party, said that from the Dutch location Maharishi had daylong access to followers in India, Europe and the Americas.

"He runs several shifts of us into the ground," said Hagelin, Maharishi's closest aid, speaking in Vlodrop about his then-89-year-old mentor. "He is a fountainhead of innovation and new ideas — far too many than you can ever follow up."

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Awr, that's a shame... :-/
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2008, 03:17 PM   #4
jagatinho
Mr. Moonlight

Hari om. Hare Krishna.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

It's just appeared on the BBC site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7229597.stm
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2008, 05:53 PM   #6
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

RIP.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

I was sad to hear this news this morning. RIP Maharishi.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 01:10 AM   #8
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Old Feb 06, 2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Sexy Sadie
Old Feb 06, 2008, 02:11 AM   #10
Beatleboy
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to Beatleboy Send a message via MSN to Beatleboy

RIP Maharishi

Yeah, I can play the guitar. I know all about virtuosos, and trembalos, and arpeggios. I can do it all! -Strong Bad

Beatleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2008, 04:22 AM   #11
Lynner

May he rest in peace.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2008, 05:52 AM   #12
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I just saw that on a ticker on ABC when I woke up, as well as BBC World News

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:16 AM   #13
beatlesandbeyond
Fool On The Hill

There's a BeatlesandBeyond Radio special this weekend celebrating the 40th anniversary of The Beatles in India. Rare tracks and exclusive interviews. More at www.beatlesandbeyond.com

Hi MikeH and AndyKC... long time etc. Good to know you're still alive!
Pete

Last edited by beatlesandbeyond : Feb 06, 2008 at 08:18 AM.
beatlesandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:20 AM   #14
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie

His influence on the Beatles may have been short but on the Beach Boys it was very long, all the way from "TM" in 1968 to a Maharishi inspired album, MIU, in the late 70s.
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:27 AM   #15
Asha
Sun King

RIP
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2008, 11:29 AM   #16
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

Hari om. Hare Krishna.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 04:50 PM   #17
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

Ahhhh... he finally reached his Mahasamadhi...

So long Maharishi....
Old Feb 07, 2008, 08:50 AM   #18
Jania Coyd
Dr. Robert

This is sad.
RIP.

Björn
Jania Coyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2008, 09:13 AM   #19
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

I think his greatest gift to mankind was that he got all 4 Beatles out to India, where they had nothing but time to write most of the White Album. So gracias.

One thing that bothered me in a few articles was that they said "Across The Universe" came out of the India trip. It was recorded in February 1968, well before the trip. Details details.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:03 AM   #20
zonymous007
Little Child

Send a message via MSN to zonymous007

R.I.P

I've always felt a little sorry for him. Although I can never truly know, I'm quite sure Magic Alex made that story up and John was wrong to reject him. He had a huge influence on the Beatles, and as a consequence, Western culture.