BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jun 23, 2005, 05:46 PM   #1
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default John Lennon: A Right Brained Learner?

John, as a boy was very bright and high spirited. In today's world, he might be labeled ADD/ADHD (attention deficit disorder/attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). In Anthology, a quote John made suggested this; John said that he could see things others couldn't; he had to be in constant motion. His behavior during his early years seems to support that finding. John even said that nobody controlled him; he was uncontrollable. I also think John processed information differently from most people. He made the world brighter and more interesting; he was not one to march to any tune but his own.

I find this interesting.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:06 PM   #2
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

A complex and talented individual for sure. Sometimes brilliant and other times foolish. He is hard to pin down. But I think all the Bealtes were like that. Enigmatic. It's hard to seperate the concept from reality. John may have been different but he was probably more normal than we think he was. He was human after all. In any case I don't like to overanaylze these things. I think the best thing to do is just listen to the music.
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:11 PM   #3
LittleDarlin909
Paperback Writer

"They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool. . ."
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:44 PM   #4
LovinLennon909
Taxman

When John said he was uncontrollable, he was responding to interviewer David Sheff's (I think) questions as to whether or not Yoko ran his life. He also said (maybe the same interview, I can't remember off the top of my head): "...and then you think that Iím being controlled like a dog on a leash because I do things with her, then screw you brother, or sister, you donít know whatís happening." Sort of along the same lines.

In the Anthology quote, where John said he could see things others could not, I believe he was referring to how he used to look into a mirror for hours and his face would begin to change; Lewis Carroll described this same thing happening to him. John was demonstrating how "he was a hip five year old;" he could see psychedlic-type visions years before anyone had even heard of LSD.

Young boys often are in constant motion. We used to call them active, and lauded them, but now we shove Ritalin down their throats so we don't have to get up from watching our soap operas. John liked things done quickly, (i.e. "Instant Karma") and didn't like the slow-paced action on a movie set ("How I Won the War), but I'm sure "The Daily Howl" required a significant attention span as a youngster, as did any of his childhood drawings I've seen.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:51 AM   #5
adayinthelife
Apple Scruff

I think you are right LovinLennon.

I go to a school with younger kids and if a boy acts up at all they are automatically assumed to have ADD. It disgusts me.
adayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:01 AM   #6
Nowheregirl
Apple Scruff

Send a message via Skype™ to Nowheregirl

"Well I get up in the morning and I'm looking in the mirror to see, ooo wee!"
"I just can't face it no more
Every time I look in the mirror
I don't see anybody there"
"I look at the mirror,
See my wife and kids
And they told me i was great"
Nowheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 06:29 AM   #7
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I think it's really sad that so many kids these days are automatically medicated just for acting like kids! Not every active child needs medication, for God's sake!

I have long thought, though, that John may have had some form of ADD, even as an adult, just based on the way he would jump from subject to subject, and be way ahead of everyone, on to the next thing before most people had even begun thinking about the first one! That's just a sort of "classic" symptom. Doesn't mean he would have needed medication for it, mind you...plenty of people exhibit those kinds of symptoms and function in society just fine, thanks. And many people with ADD (I would venture to say most!) are brilliant, just like John -- but flit from one thing to the next so quickly that it is hard for untrained people to recognize it, and so it is just put down to "disruption."

All I can definitely say is that I'm really glad there was no such thing as Ritalin when John was a kid, because I can just picture the scenario in the Headmaster's office:

"Mrs. Smith, your nephew is disruptive in class and completely uncontrollable. We think he has Attention Deficit Disorder."

"Oh my, what can we do about it?"

"Well, if we give him this little blue pill every day, he'll calm right down..."

People I know who take or have taken Ritalin for ADD say that while it does calm them down and allow them to focus better, it also has a tendency to diminish and stifle their creativity. Many of them stop taking the medication for a while when they want to paint or write or be creative. While I agree that things like the intricate drawings John created or the Daily Howl or things like that did require significant concentration, oftentimes people with ADD ARE able to concentrate on specific activities that they enjoy, even if it's just one or two. And we all know that John enjoyed drawing and writing, so perhaps he just was better able to focus on that kind of things for longer periods of time than he could on other activities. (Does that make sense?)

Can you imagine if they'd been able to and inclined to slap John onto that stuff as a child? The John Lennon we know and love would have "conformed" very nicely...and would never have created all the marvelous things he did in his life. Think about what we would have lost!
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Jun 25, 2005 at 06:32 AM.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:30 PM   #8
SandySunshine
Taxman

I'm a Girl Guide leader and we've had a number of girls pass through our group who have ADD/ADHD. Some are on medication, some are not. I don't claim to be any authority on the subject!!! But I do agree that John probably did have some form of it. He never seemed to settle on doing one thing for long except his song writing and drawings as you say!!!

I do believe the Captain's trodden on my parrot!!!!!
SandySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 08:21 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

I am no fan of medication for the most part and am glad John was spared that experience. I've known people who have worked with children whose behavior was very similar to John's as a boy. The majority of the children are boys; they are highly creative and expressive; impulsive and have difficulty remaining on task for long. John did sound like he might have had some form of ADD/ADHD. I think he really was a right brained learner and John admitted he processed things differently. I think that was true as well.

It IS disgusting the way labels are bandied about. Often the labels are wrong and the child is the one who is made to suffer needlessly.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:24 AM   #10
HMVNipper
Sun King

You know what's really scary? The fact that so many kids ARE being slapped onto ADD meds these days, whether they really need it or not...

Think about it...if such a medication, had it been available back in the day, could have robbed the world of a brilliant and creative mind such as John's, what kind of creative geniuses are being squelched now that they CAN put children labeled "hyperactive" (with or without a good reason) onto that stuff? How many potential "John Lennons" are we losing every minute???

This adamant (and ignorant) notion that kids have to "conform" is going to result in a cookie-cutter society...and I, for one, like my world with a little spice and creativity and eccentricity, thank you....

The potential impact of society over-medicating kids is terrifying.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Jun 26, 2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 05:19 AM   #11
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
You know what's really scary? The fact that so many kids ARE being slapped onto ADD meds these days, whether they really need it or not...

and how many of these kids are turning into Klebold & Harris types
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 06:19 AM   #12
HMVNipper
Sun King

That's very true; after all, these medications have neurological implications -- and if a kid doesn't really need it and is put on it, anything can happen!

There have been a lot of studies of the over-medicating of children, and most of them are not terribly positive. I think that the ease with which doctors and school administrators can slap kids onto medications in a misguided attempt to make them "conform" is frightening.

Old Jun 26, 2005, 06:46 AM   #13
ChrisG134
Sun King

My step-kids are on it.Their 11& 13.My husband won't pay for it.The 11 yr.old if she was anymore laid back she'd be dead.It's bull!They think they need it.Last week the 13yr. old almost died cause she forgot to take it!Some dumb doctor & her mother got her thinking she needs it.How are they gonna get her off it!It's obiviously addictive!It also sucks cause his ex doesn't seem to care what he thinks!His opinion doesn't matter.As long as she gets her check in the mail.That's all the matters to her!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:33 AM   #14
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
How many potential "John Lennons" are we losing every minute???

This adamant (and ignorant) notion that kids have to "conform" is going to result in a cookie-cutter society...and I, for one, like my world with a little spice and creativity and eccentricity, thank you....

I think that is not only a very ignorant notion, but a cruel, punitive and unfortunate one. I like spice and creativity and eccentricity as well. Even when I was a child, I could not relate to "girl-girls" and was never girly nor able to identify with girly. I was never a good little conformist tin soldier. I was a Ramona Quimby growing up (Beverly Cleary's most endearing character, Ramona Quimby has found a permanent place in children's literature and in the hearts of people of all ages) and I LIKE bright, high spirited Ramonas and Johns.

My mother, a retired SE teacher taught many "Johns" and found them interesting and high spirited. I like that.

Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:02 AM   #15
Nowheregirl
Apple Scruff

Last edited by Nowheregirl : Jun 28, 2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:05 AM   #16
Nowheregirl
Apple Scruff

School is a horrible place. Teachers don't like neither hyperactive nor hyporeactive children. They try to reduce all of them to the same level. There're some teachers, who are angry with poor children because of bad handwriting, stammering, slight moving, superfluous remarks, disobedience etc. Some like threatening, frightening, saying that children aren't clever enough. It's very strange, how some teachers expect 8-13 years old children to be like adults, but treat them like kids. Even the best pupil can come into collision with the rest of the world because of the teachers and family conditions. Child's psyche is very sensitive, and the first years at school can influence the whole life. I read John was a good pupil at first. Maybe if teachers had treated him better, he'd be different and there weren't The Beatles.
And about medical treatment i think, that mild medicine, like valerian or glycine, can be healthy. But neuropathologists usually prescribe tranquilizers, depressants and sleeping-draughts, and that's terrible. Mostly, what they consider as a mental disorder is a character trait.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:48 PM   #17
beatlebangs1964

For me, school was a synonym for hell. People tell you to be yourself (like you can be anyone else), but they don't really mean it. It just means be a tin soldier conformist. Sadly, NWGirl, horror stories about the early grades are not uncommon. No doubt John was not overly fond of school; George, although neurotypical plain didn't like it because the rigid curriculum failed to meet his needs; Paul, although highly gifted and a good student apparently did not feel he was given a chance to spread his wings in school and Ringo's education was severely curtailed due to illness. Sadly, provisions for these and countless other kids were not made regarding their education.

I think of the lyrics to "It's Getting Better All The Time" about being mad at one's school because the teachers who taught [the pupils] weren't cool. Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon plaint.

Old Jul 03, 2005, 12:26 PM   #18
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I think you are right LovinLennon.

I go to a school with younger kids and if a boy acts up at all they are automatically assumed to have ADD. It disgusts me.
Well they would label my two then! My boys are very very active and it's hard physical work running after them but that is what boys are like, and I love them for it. There is no way I would reign them in, unless they were hurting themselves or someone else, people shove their kids infront of the telly or the computer and wonder why obesesity rates are rising in the UK!
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:27 PM   #19
MaccaTwst9
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to MaccaTwst9 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaTwst9
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
John, as a boy was very bright and high spirited. In today's world, he might be labeled ADD/ADHD (attention deficit disorder/attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). In Anthology, a quote John made suggested this; John said that he could see things others couldn't; he had to be in constant motion. His behavior during his early years seems to support that finding. John even said that nobody controlled him; he was uncontrollable. I also think John processed information differently from most people. He made the world brighter and more interesting; he was not one to march to any tune but his own.

I find this interesting.

That sounds alot like me. But then again I have ADD. I guess this is why I completely understand him and what he's trying to get at. I also process informatiom differently.